Video Files on Forum ×

PX560 copy function in midi recorder

Jokeyman123

I just found a bit of a limitation when recording with the midi recorder. I hope I am wrong, but is the copy function in the midi recorder only for copying a complete track recording to another track? Unless I misunderstand the menu system and manual, I cannot copy one section if a recorded track-say measure 1-8 of a recording to another section of the same track, or to another track. I have inserted new blank measures in an existing track, but have not found a function to cut and paste a part of an already recorded track from the midi recorder. If this is so, it is a shame as this would speed up the composing process for me at least. I know I can always export to midi and do whatever editing I need to in software, but I was hoping i would not need this with the PX560. Would be nice if this function could be added in a firmware upgrade. And I haven't tried this yet, but will setting the A and B loop functions enable me to copy just that section to another section of the same track? If I set loop points to measures 1 and 8, can I copy that to measure 9? Doesn't seem like that is what the loop points are designed to do, but again, I hope I am wrong.

It's done with the event editing system on the MZX series.  I'm pretty sure the PX-560/360 and CGP-700 does not have event editing.  I'm including pics for those who may interested in the differences.  On the MZX series, you would press monitor, select a track, press edit, select event edit, then it's all there, even step sequencing is there.

IMG_20180831_174822.jpg

I just briefly researched the firmware updates for the MZ-X500 keyboards, and was very impressed by the features that could be added to that keyboard. I am strongly encouraging Casio to add a few new features similarly to the PX560-and possibly although I don't have one, the PX360 since the DNA is so close. I am on vers. 1.15.

• Add a few more envelopes to the filter, amp algorithms (would be closer to the original CZ waveform editing and could give greater ability to create even more unique sound signatures to the PX
  • Give access to the basic .wav files that make up a tone when editing-can be done with hex layers but not with an individual tone when editing
  • A few more (even 1-2 more) midi and audio editing features-primarily copy/cut/paste function would be very useful

I can't think of much else that isn't already there, in a very impressive instrument IMO. I understand the MZx might have more market share and thus more firmware upgrades, and I've already read several hopeless posts here about upgrading the PX, but I'm requesting anyway. Hope rings eternal! and so does the ring modulator....very Jan Hammer..ish (look him up if you don't know him already-an oldie but goodie)

Beyond the strong (IMO) possibility that Casio has no great desire to upgrade the features in the PX-560, I personally suspect that the PX-560's processor is already low on memory resources. Hence, I believe it is likely that feature-wise they have pushed that particular architecture about as far as it will go. The MZ-X500, on the other hand, although sharing many common elements in software and user interface, is a later design with, I strongly suspect, far more memory for the processor.

An example that I think supports my conjectures is the overdub recording function in the MIDI recorder (sequencer). No matter how it is implemented (there are a few different ways it can be done) it takes additional memory for buffers. The MZ-X500 has the feature while the PX-560 does not. This is NOT an arcane function; you can find it on almost every MIDI sequencer over the years, whether software or hardware. That it is missing on the PX-560 suggests that its processor lacks sufficient memory to do it. 

Don't get me wrong. I support your desire for upgrades. I am simply not confident we will get any.

Overdub-I can use separate tracks to simulate that function but the others....ah well. And I have some evidence to support the hypothesis re the memeory constraint-in another topic I have found constant delays when editing hex layers when playing with envelopes and other editing functions-the 560 doesn't crash but it does stop, then after 5-10 seconds resumes functioning. So yes, the buffer memory must be just adequate for some of the more complex os tasks-or the cpu is just a tad too slow to process them. A shame as this 560 with a few more functions would be pretty competitive with most onboard sequences.I didn't expect the level of sya my old Ensoniq or Generalmusic boards, or the Yamaha or Rolands but still. Keeps me needing software if I want to do certain time-saving composition operations.  Then again, I have managed some fairly decent work with the old PX575-now there is a challenge to record wihout software. There are almost no editing functions at all in its song recorder, as in the PX350 so I guess this qualifies as at least a partial improvement for recording midi files.