Video Files on Forum ×

PX560 port B recording question

Jokeyman123

Here is a tough question-the manual for the PX560  describes using midi channel 6-16 (unused) for external midi input if the midi channel in is set to port B. This means I can record on these channels from an external keyboard or controller just as I would with the midi recorder for port C in addition to anything I've recorded using the PX560s keyboard.

For example, If I record a synth track on midi channel 1 using port C (which is the midi recorder port) could I then record an additional synth track using port B midi channel 1 with an external controller or keyboard, and end up with 2 separate tracks on midi channel 1? I have been experimenting with a Korg microKontrol and have successfully been able to control CC messages with that instrument into the PX560 mixer-pan, volume, resonance and filter simultaneously on 8 different channels-the Korg has only 8 sliders and pots. but since there is no overdub function with the PX560-I haven't found a way to re-record control change messages on an already recorded track but I can control cc changes playing each track independently in real time like this. I am going to try  to experiment and this brings up an interesting possibility-since the PX560 has no "overdub" function I might be able to re-record 2 entirely different sets of midi tracks all on the same instrument using port B and C providing I use an addtional midi controller very cool! And with 256-voice polyphony, could be very interesting if the cpu can handle it!  I will also try to record cc changes on the system track to see if that works although I'm not sure what will happen-might affect all tracks or none and I know I can only record one p[ass at a time on the system track. It is possible I could create automated mixdown moves recorded to the system track. And this brings up something else-if i record 2 tracks using both port B and port C on the same midi channel-do these interact with each other. See where I'm going here? If I record on track C midi channel 1, then record CC on port B midi channel 1, do these keep all their recorded midi data separately, or will changes in one affect changes in the other, I'm guessing not. I have alot of experimenting to do.  If anybody has done this or anything similar, post back.

Ah, what a shame! So port B midi channels are only used for playing-for example playing a midi file from an external source as a computer or other external sequencer, or playing live from an external source such as a midi controller, but is not connected to the mixer functions. OK. Still brings in some interesting possibilites, don't it? But eliminates everything I though I might accomplish. casio, add a few midi recorder functions in a new firmware update-please? At least cut and paste and/or overdub. Thanks Brad.