Video Files on Forum ×

PX-860 Instrument Definition File

UCG Musician

I am looking for an instrument definition file (a ".ins" file) for importing Casio Privia PX-860 voices into a MIDI program (Sonar in my case).  Casio Technical Support does not even know what it is!  Hopefully some PX-860 owner has connected their instruments to a computer and has found or created a .ins file.

Can you at least provide Casio's Program Change method?  I can't tell from documentation if it's Controller 32, then Controller 0 and then patch number or some other sequence.  If it's standard CC32, CC0, PC, then what are the bank numbers?  Are they 0 for Pianos, 4 for electric pianos, etc.?  Then are the patches 0, 1, 2, 3 and 4 for GRAND PIANO CONCERT
GRAND PIANO MODERN, GRAND PIANO CLASSIC,  GRAND PIANO MELLOW and GRAND PIANO BRIGHT?

image.png

Hi Brad,

I did look at that.  But I can't tell whether the Bank is in the first or second column of the chart.  The third column is called Bank Select MSB but I suspect the second column is the bank and the third column is the patch.  Also, I cannot find which of the four standard methods of sending patches to an instrument is used for the PX--860.  They are as follows:

1. Normal
2. Controller 0 Only
3. Controller 32 only
4. Patch 100-127

Since no one seems to have created an ins file, I can do it as long as I know what bank select method is used.

I appreciate your help.

Thanks,

UCG Musician

Hi Brad,

This helps.  If I could just figure out what to put in the ".Instrument Definition" section of the text file that I created for the PX-860, I'd be happy.  I do not understand how the patches are named.  As long shot, I'm attaching the INS file I created in hopes that someone can provide feedback on whether or not it looks right.  I need to get a handle on this soon.  I do not own the instrument.  It is being provided by the hotel where my church is holding a convention in a week and a half.  I have to be able to drive the instrument with MIDI using Sonar because I will not have a live pianist for some things.

Thanks,

UCG Musician

Casio Privia PX-860 REV 1.ins

Here's another idea-I've done some work on this with the PX350-similar Privia. Are you damiliar with MIdiox? It is a downloadable software program for Windows computers-a bit complex but has many useful functions-one of which is that it shows the midi data coming out of your keyboard-including cc messages, velocity, and others. If the PX860 sends bank and program change out its mid port, Midiox will show you exacly what is happening. As Brad said, first bank change must be sent, then program change. When you play a key, or change a tone, Midiox will show you what those messages are. I guess by editing one of the other .ins files you should end up with a working file for the PX860. Hope this helps.

• Like 1