Video Files on Forum ×

Switching From Registration Tone to Non-Registration Tone (Canceling Registration Settings)

jeffn1

Hello,

As you know, when you save a registration, this can include splitting the keyboard, octave changes (and other settings).

So, if you are using a registration and then switch to a non-registration tone, it messes it up by retaining the registration settings (octave changes, etc.).

Personally, I wish there was a setting so it did not do that.  So registration settings would be canceled if you switch to another tone (not registration) and it would return to the default tone setting.

Of course, one way to deal with this (what I had been doing) is turn the synth off and on to clear the registration settings.

I guess what you are "supposed" to do is change to a registration patch (bank and number) that does not have splits, octave changes or other registration settings?

Or am I missing something?  Is there a better way to handle this that I have not figured out?

Thanks!

Jeff

Jeff

You already have half your answer.  You already stated it above.  Power the keyboard off, then power it on, and immediately save that "power-up" condition as a "neutral" Registration.  I recommend saving it as Bank-1/Reg-1.  Whenever you need to get back to the "power-up" state, just load Bank-1/Reg-1, then load the next Pre-set or User Tone of your choice.  Since this adds an additional step to selecting the next tone, if you find you are having to do this too often for certain tones, during a performance, then it would be better to save those tones, along with other keyboard settings that you want, into Registrations of their own.  Imagine you have a strings tone layered over a grand piano tone, and in the middle of that performance, you want to switch the strings tone to a mellow pad, but that switch turns off the layer feature, or you want to switch bass tones, in the left portion of the keyboard, in the middle of a performance, but doing so turns off the split feature.  For these reasons, most performing keyboardists do all of their tone switching, during performances, with Registrations.  Since you entered this post in the CTK/WK-7XXX sub-forum, I assume you have one of those models, so you have 96 Registrations available to you.

You responded while I was editing my origiinal reply.  Please see my edited version, as it explains why what you suggest is not a good idea.  I have been in this keyboard business since the mid-80's, and have never seen one designed the way you suggest, so I wish you luck finding one.  In these days of fierce competition for market share, manufacturers are not want to incur additional design engineering costs for features that would appeal to only a small percentage of their market.

Fair enough.  I think I disagree (I think an "option" to return to default setting on leaving a registration would be helpful.  But, I am not a keyboard programmer. . . or even close).

But, more importantly, I appreciate your quick and (I am sure) accurate response. 

A sincere thank you!

Jeff

Thanks (just so you understand where I am coming from), the downside is that is you have to keep pushing the bank button (potentially up to 15 times) to get to the bank where you can clear the registration.   But, I hear you.  Its not a huge deal. (This should really only occur when switching between songs).

Anyway, appreciate the input (and the quick thorough answer!).

{Actually, even less of an issue now that I realized you can quickly switch banks using the "dial" tool (or whatever the prop name is for that).

• 2 months later...

I had that problem in the 7500 from the very start, and somewhere on this forum, I asked about it.

My work-around is put a simple no, no, no, set in the #1 / #1 bank.   Just turn on the keyboard and the opening default sound, store in the 1/1 slot.

So any time you're in an exotic setup, return to 1/1 and you're back to normal. Now you can select others from the direct input methods without fear of octaves, etc.

:-)

It was irritating ... we do "Pirate Looks At 40" and with split keyboard, piano below and Steel Drums on the top -- but steel drums had to be lowered an octave.  Going from that set, to any other sound left that new selection an octave too low.  YIKES!  I came up with the fix above after I finally figured out what's going wrong.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/29/2018 at 11:50 AM, showkster said:

I had that problem in the 7500 from the very start, and somewhere on this forum, I asked about it.

My work-around is put a simple no, no, no, set in the #1 / #1 bank.   Just turn on the keyboard and the opening default sound, store in the 1/1 slot.

So any time you're in an exotic setup, return to 1/1 and you're back to normal. Now you can select others from the direct input methods without fear of octaves, etc.

🙂

It was irritating ... we do "Pirate Looks At 40" and with split keyboard, piano below and Steel Drums on the top -- but steel drums had to be lowered an octave.  Going from that set, to any other sound left that new selection an octave too low.  YIKES!  I came up with the fix above after I finally figured out what's going wrong.

Yep, I run into the same exact issue when moving from a split key registration sound to a regular present.  But, as long as you understand it and prepare for it, it does not appear to be too tough to work around it.

• 10 months later...

Just to follow up on this, I have decided that I am going to reserve Button 1 of each Registration Bank for sounds that do not have Splits/Registration Octave Changes/ etc.  So, I will know whenever I leave that Registration to first hit button 1 of that Registration to clear those (changing banks to access a button to clear this takes too long)

I have no doubt that, from the perspective of a keyboard player (rather than a programmer), it would be good to have the option that default settings (no Splits/Registration Octave Changes/Etc.) are restored when returning to a preset or user tone.

Jeff

• 7 months later...

Old thread, but for what it's worth, once you push the Registration Button, and before doing anything else, you can use the No (-) Button to move back DOWN through the Bank numbers instead of going up.  The wheel will take you back, too, but it's a pain to hit the right number.   The Yes (+) Button will take you up, but that's unnecessary because the Registration Button still does the same thing.

Also, remember that each time you hit the Registration Button, it goes UP one Bank; if you use it to go to bank 2, for instance, hitting it again takes you to Bank 3; to go down to Bank 1, you have to hit No (-) twice.

• Like 2

• 9 months later...