Video Files on Forum ×

Hex layer, filter cutoff frequency and key follow.

mike71

I was just wondering if there's a formula to get the cutoff frequency of a filter in an hex layer and the cutoff frequency and follow value, for instance if I like to make a filter to have the cutoff frequency at the same note is playing, what are the correct numbers to set?

I don't like to borrow an oscilloscope and dust off the book on electric measurements 😅

Not clear-do you want the filter to open or close based on keyboard's pitch? Brighter in the upper octaves and duller or more filtered with the lower? And remember the filter settings for a tone are different than the filter settings for a hex layer-these will interact within a hex layer but can be set separately and the settings are not identical. Kind of the opposite of what I'd expect-key follow is only programmable in a hex layer, but not in a tone, a little limiting, since whatever tones you are using in your hex layer already may have filter settings that will affect how key follow will work. I would try a hex "layer" with only one tone on at first to simplify things, to see what you can come up with. Again, I am assuming you want to determine how much the filter opens depending upon key range, correct? You will still need to do some trial and error as Brad says, use your ears as the best judge. I am currently trying to duplicate some of my old TS-12 arrangements using the tones and programming capabilities in the PX560 which has quite a few tones almost identical to the Ensoniq-Arp, ep's and the organ patches although the TS-12 leslie effect is still a killer.

On 10/9/2018 at 2:15 AM, mike71 said:

My idea was to have the filter tracking the note played to shape the sound.

Trying to make an old style synth sound, like the one you could make on an MS20.

I'm not familiar with the MS20, but what you describe sounds like a filter that literally follows the notes being played.  Casio's key follow feature is different, but not really.  It simply allows the user to set any key as "home base", and as you move away from the home base, the filter gradually raises or lowers depending on your follow settings.

My idea was exactly to have the "VCF" controlled by the same signal piloting the "VCO", so a base sound is m odified in a constant way.

Unfortunately the documentation on the Casio manual is quite terse and doesn't hint at the possibilities you have using the PX-5 as a synth.