Video Files on Forum ×

NEW PATCH SCRIPTS FOR DAWs

Mike Martin

• 4 months later...

Hi, I am a newbie in the would of MIDI sequencing. Which of these there software would you advise me to start with? I have noticed thT Cubase and Pro Tools have free versions, would they suffice to start with?

I also went to the Cakewalk website, it doesn’t look like a DAW but more like a collaborative social platform for musicians or have I missed something?

I would like to control my CT-X800 form the computer (Windows 7) and also try to create a MIDI file to use with @Chandler Holloway rhythm creation tutorial for the CT-X line.

Also, once I have Installed a DAW, what would be the usage of the patches made available by @Mike Martin ?

Thanks for helping.

Cakewalk Sonar is a DAW.  The new owners of that software made it a free download for anyone with a Bandlab account.  You have to download Bandlab assistant first, create an account, then you can download Cakewalk Sonar.  I haven't used Pro Tools or Cubase so I can't answer for those.  The patch scripts can be installed in the DAW software.  This allows all of the tones in the keyboard to be easily selected in the software. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Brad Saucier said:

Cakewalk Sonar is a DAW.  The new owners of that software made it a free download for anyone with a Bandlab account.  You have to download Bandlab assistant first, create an account, then you can download Cakewalk Sonar.  I haven't used Pro Tools or Cubase so I can't answer for those.  The patch scripts can be installed in the DAW software.  This allows all of the tones in the keyboard to be easily selected in the software. 

Hi Brad, thanks for this answer, this is really helpful. I have already downloaded ProTools First but I will also try out Cakewalk since thanks to you I now know how to install it and it seems much simpler than Pro Tools for a start. I'll install the CT-X800 patches and start exploring things.

To clarify further, these are not patches, they're patch scripts. The X800 cannot load in "custom patches" like the X3000/X5000's User Tones, although you can save and recall configurations of the preset tones/effects/layers as registration banks. The purpose of these patch scripts is to make it easier for you to select tones on your CT-X keyboard using your DAW. Normally, the way DAWs and MIDI sequencers call up specific tones within a keyboard's memory is by sending their corresponding Program Change and Bank select messages on specific channels. This requires you to keep your keyboard's appendix handy so you can make sure you're sending the right messages for the voice assignments you want to use.

These patch scripts circumvent this inconvenience by modifying the tone selection interface of your DAW to use the actual names of the tones. So instead of sending PC 1 bank select 0 on channel 1 to select Stage Piano for that voice, you can just click on Stage Piano in the tone list and it will automatically pull up the proper values. It's just an added convenience for the DAW crowd, but it's cool to see these things officially supported by Casio.

Side note, it looks like they added patch scripts for the PX-S3000 ahead of its release next month. @Mike Martin any chance we’ll see patch scripts for the CDP-S350? It has nearly identical voice assignments to the X700/X800 except for a handful of piano and epiano tones brought down from the X3000 and X5000, so it shouldn’t be too hard to update the scripts for the S350.

• Like 2

Hi @Chandler Holloway once again you’re giving a very thorough explanation so thank you for that.

One more question since I am very new to DAW usage: once I downloaded and unzipped the patch script for the relevant keyboard (CT-X800) and the relevant DAW (let us say Sonar), I connect the keyboard to the computer with a printer cable, turn both devices on, start the DAW, and then how am I supposed to proceed to open the patch script in the DAW?

As for your side note about the CDP-S350, conversely, if the S350 and the CT-X700/800 share so much of their OS, would’nt it be quite easy for the people from the developing team to port the Chordana Play Piano app to the CT-X700/800?

It would be a great addendum, if only because it would give much better control over the layers and splits. There is so much more power in the CT-X700/800 than appears at first sight, it would be cool to unleash some of these “hidden” features.

On 3/1/2019 at 4:44 PM, Chandler Holloway said:

Side note, it looks like they added patch scripts for the PX-S3000 ahead of its release next month. @Mike Martin any chance we’ll see patch scripts for the CDP-S350? It has nearly identical voice assignments to the X700/X800 except for a handful of piano and epiano tones brought down from the X3000 and X5000, so it shouldn’t be too hard to update the scripts for the S350.

I think that will be possible yes. 

@Chandler Holloway You said "It's just an added convenience for the DAW crowd, but it's cool to see these things officially supported by Casio"  and I say "Yes! Indeed, cannot agree more" . Casio has started to gain more respect in my country lately, and I think peoples' interest will grow more soon. This forum helps a lot on this. For me ti was a reason to finally go ahead and make the order of my ct-x 5000. Other wise I would have been very hesitant about buying it , having read that it has a difficult interface. But after spending some hrs here I see that It's not that difficult to find answers if you search and ask. Some users like you Brad, Martin and others provide very detailed answers , passing on your hard-earned knowledge to us. And that 's very encouraging for new comers (and customers ) like me..Thanks!!

• Like 2