Video Files on Forum ×

PX-560 or PX-360: The Case of the $300 Mod Wheel

BothHands

Hi, all.  This is my first post here.

I'm a songwriter.  My primary instrument is acoustic guitar, then electric guitar and bass.  So I'm by no means a pianist, though I enjoy writing on piano.  At present I use a simple 61-key midi controller to play virtual instrument parts into a DAW multitrack recording system. 

I intend to buy either a PX-360 or PX-560 for standalone composing.  In most cases I won't rely on the PX sound set for the actual recording, but I will rely on them for "inspiration."   :)   I intend to transfer the midi composition from PX keyboard to my computer harddrive, and then work within the DAW.  I assume Pitch Bend and Mod Wheel information will be recorded as midi data and can then be transferred to the computer...  Please tell me if that's not correct.

My issue concerns COST.   Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only substantial difference I see between the PX-360 (street price $900) and the PX-560 ($1200) is that the PX-560 includes a MOD WHEEL.  If there are subtle enhancements in the 560's on-board sounds I probably won't notice them.  

If there are other important differences that justify the $300 higher price of the PX-560, please advise. 

If YOU think the Mod Wheel (and other enhancements?) is worth the additional $300, please clue me in.

Thanks,
Tom  

Hi Tom and welcome!  Yes the MIDI recorder will record modulation and pitch bend events on both models.  Now, it's much more than just a mod wheel upgrade for the PX-560.  The 560 has tone editing and a full fledged synth built-in (hex layer tones) and double the polyphony of the PX-360.  An extension of the synth feature is the available sounds you can install that other PX-560 users have uploaded to this site.  Additionally, the 560 has programmable knobs and expression pedal input, for much more real-time control over any number of sound parameters.  Even if you're not using internal sounds for recording, the additional programmable controllers (mod wheel, knobs and expression pedal input) may be worth the extra investment.  Plus, you'll have the extra preset sounds in the hex layer category for inspiration (which includes extra pianos, organs, brass, leads, etc).  If you're using auto accompaniment, there's some extras there too. Let us know if you have anymore questions.  We have a few owners on the site that will probably chime in behind me as well.  

• Like 1

Thanks Brad, for such a thoughtful, detailed reply.

I will research the tone editing and full fledged synth (hex layer tones) aspects, and I much appreciate you bringing those features to my attention. 

Q2. Do I understand you to say that in addition to Pitch Bend and Modulation, the Expression Pedal input is also recorded and transferred as midi data?  That would be a BIG deal.

Q3. To record the internal PX-560 sounds to DAW, is it simply a matter of connecting the PX stereo 1/4" OUTS to two DAW preamps and then recording as I would any other line level sound source?

Q4. Esoteric Question:  Is it possible to export the PX-560 or 360 internal percussion sounds/patterns as part of the midi data?  Specifically, if I build a multitrack compostion in the PX based on an internal rhythm/percussion pattern, can I send that percussion to my harddrive as midi data? 

Your comments thus far make a good argument (or provide a good exuse!) for paying more for the PX-560. and frankly, that Amazingly BLUE control panel "had me at hello."  =D

The street price of the PX-5S is a bit less of the PX-360, and has more knobs, pitch and mod wheel, and has a more powerful MIDI integration. On the other hand has a tiny LCD display and it's a bit complex to setup and program and has some weirdness on the features too. Like you can have a metronome and a duet mode but you have to program a stage setting for it. 

The expression pedal input is missing and you can have only two pedals connected (Px-360 and 560 can have a stand with a three-pedal unit).

• Like 1

Q2.  Yes.  All controllers are recorded in the MIDI recorder and transmitted via MIDI.

Q3.  Yes.  Alternatively, both 360 and 560 can record all internal sound as a digital audio WAV file to a USB drive. 

Q4.  Rhythms can transmit via MIDI in real time when used without the MIDI recorder.  The MIDI recorder can record rhythm controller data on a proprietary 17th "system track", allowing them to be part of a multi-track recording, however this is only intended for use on the keyboard.  System track cannot be exported by file or transmitted via MIDI.  The other 16 tracks of MIDI recorder can be exported as a standard MIDI file.  Also of special note, the internal MIDI recorder does not playback or record through the MIDI ports.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mike71 said:

PROS:
- street price of the PX-5S is a bit less of the PX-360
- more knobs, pitch and mod wheel
- more powerful MIDI integration 

CONS:
- tiny LCD display
- complex to setup and program
- some weirdness on the features - can have a metronome and a duet mode but you have to program a stage setting for it. 

- expression pedal input is missing

- can have only two pedals connected (Px-360 and 560 can have a stand with a three-pedal unit).

Excellent comparison, Mike71.  I will research the PX-5S because COST is a factor for me.  But at first glance the CONs seem to outweigh the PROs.  Money is important, but having to struggle with some of those CONs might be a false economy.  I've familiarized myself with the PX-560 interface a bit at a local music shop, and I really appreciate that big, easy-to-understand LCD screen.  Thanks for good information, Mike.

1 hour ago, Brad Saucier said:

Q2.  Yes.  All controllers are recorded in the MIDI recorder and transmitted via MIDI.

Q3.  Yes.  Alternatively, both 360 and 560 can record all internal sound as a digital audio WAV file to a USB drive. 

Q4.  Rhythms can transmit via MIDI in real time when used without the MIDI recorder.  The MIDI recorder can record rhythm controller data on a proprietary 17th "system track", allowing them to be part of a multi-track recording, however this is only intended for use on the keyboard.  System track cannot be exported by file or transmitted via MIDI.  The other 16 tracks of MIDI recorder can be exported as a standard MIDI file.  Also of special note, the internal MIDI recorder does not playback or record through the MIDI ports.

re Q2. Great.

re Q3. I'll do my usual Google Grind, but Iet me ask you here-and-now on the off chance that you might have a simple answer at hand.  Is it possible to:
1) play the part to a PX-560 track
2) subsequently convert that midi data to an audio WAV file within the PX-560
3) then copy that .WAV file to a USB thumb drive for transfer to my harddrive/DAW?

re Q4.  I'll need time to digest this.  Looks like you're saying:
1) the rhythm data resides on the System Track 17

2) the System Track / Rhythm data plays back in sync with midi data on other tracks 1-16

3) but only within the PX-560.

New Q5. "the internal MIDI recorder does not playback or record through the MIDI ports."  So the traditional MIDI IN is only for triggering a PX instrument sound via some outboard midi send? And the traditional MIDI OUT is only for using the PX as a keyboard controller sending midi data to some other midi device?  Am I close? (head spinning...)     =]

Thanks, Brad.  Clearly the PX-560 is the instrument for me, so I'll 'study up' and then see what kind of deal I can find.  

Another question related to the impetus of this thread, COST:  Sometimes a PX-560 that's been returned in perfect condition can be had at a discount.  Despite appearing to be perfect, I worry that it might have taken an electrical surge, and that might have damaged or weakened some aspect of the circuitry.  Do you have any idea of how robust the circuitry in these things is, and/or weather my concern is overblown?

All things considered, $1200 is a very reasonable price for the features and capabillities of the PX-560.  Ah, but human nature always seeks a "better" deal...

Ugh   =]

I would be more concerned about the wear and tear on the key action with a 2nd hand-if it is a floor model-consider how many may have played it already. The electronics-have been vey stable on mine and looks very well-constructed inside. I love my PX560, a killer piano/music workshop-the large color creen is fantastic.  I can navigate around this in record time and I have played many to be able to compare. I've posted a few hex layer eperiments-nothing spectacular but to show how easy it is to do. And the factory hex layers are pretty amazing-and I play an Equinox, TS-12 and SY77 which I can almost duplicate with the PX-560-except for some in the the SY77 which has advanced FM sounds that still are almost too frightening to play which is why I've kept it for over 20 years! But the 560 comes close. I laso have a PX575 and 350 because I love the piano action on all of these.

Good points all, Jokeyman123.

I understand your concern for the keybed, but the one I've been cozying up to locally seems really substantial to me.  I would assume that unless someone really, REALLY beat on it the mechanical aspects of that keyboard should hold up for a long, loooong time.  But I hear you. 

The problem with electrical surges is that just ONE can fry something rendering it crippled, but showing no sign of failure TODAY.   Ticking timebomb... 

Good sense points to buying New at the best discount available.  That's probably what I'll shoot for, UNLESS...a used deal comes along that's just "worth the risk."  :facepalm:

• 1 year later...