Video Files on Forum ×

Namm Envy :(

TimeyWimey

Hello everyone! I got a PX-360 just before Christmas. I hear they may unveil a new Privia series at NAMM and now I'm sad lol. Does anyone else feel like this? Anyone else contemplating selling theirs for the newer model? I like my Privia, pretty happy with it although I have to agree with others that the keys are super loud. 🎹

No reason to be sad. You can just update the sound of your Privia with Pianoteq or some sample-software and get way better sound. That's what I did with my Roland-piano, which has a poor mono-sound. That got old really fast.

Older Privias are good and the keybed works for even more challenging classical pieces, so no reason really to upgrade. I don't think there's much improvement in the key-touch of these new Privias. Probably just as loud. That has been a common Casio "feature" for years across their entire keyboard-library. And hammer-action is always going to be loud because of how the mechanism works. 

3 hours ago, MTapani said:

No reason to be sad. You can just update the sound of your Privia with Pianoteq or some sample-software and get way better sound. That's what I did with my Roland-piano, which has a poor mono-sound. That got old really fast.

Older Privias are good and the keybed works for even more challenging classical pieces, so no reason really to upgrade. I don't think there's much improvement in the key-touch of these new Privias. Probably just as loud. That has been a common Casio "feature" for years across their entire keyboard-library. And hammer-action is always going to be loud because of how the mechanism works. 

Hammer action in most cases is very quiet I know that from my own experience(sometimes it is surprisingly quiet). Casio makes the most of noise when key returns to the starting position.

Maybe it is Ok for studio/classroom but for home... I am not the person who recommends buying PX for home. 

4 hours ago, MTapani said:

Oh, I will have to look into Pianoteq, I hadn't heard of it. Yeah I am mostly happy with what I have. I'm a beginner and starting to get into chords now and I was really loving the reverb on the Privia. 

46 minutes ago, TimeyWimey said:

Oh, I will have to look into Pianoteq, I hadn't heard of it. Yeah I am mostly happy with what I have. I'm a beginner and starting to get into chords now and I was really loving the reverb on the Privia. 

Let know your opinion. I do not use SW solutions due to significant lag regardless of the software. Pianoteq is one of those I actually have.

Remember that for VST you may need to buy a higher edition on DAW. Because not all basic versions of DAWs provide support for VST.

The best results I get with SW sound banks when running them on iPad.

You can always sell your PX, the prices are not that low for a good models. I always trade, buy and sell used keyboards. It is much more fun and I meet interesting people on the way. The new keyboard in Privia PX-S should be much improved according to what they say. May be worth upgrade and you will loose only little on the deal.

I am not sure you will be getting anything sounding appreciably better than the PX360-I wouldn't jump too fast but i could be wrong. Remember Casio likes to make incremental changes and the 360 has a pretty good piano already. Plus, I am not sure about the rest of the specs on the 1000-3000 yet. The CDPs were never PX Privias although very good in their own right. Is the AIX sample set any better than the AIR in the 360? Sounds like Casio added the extra samples for string resonance, pedal release that are already in the PX360 but were not in any of the earlier CDPs as far as I can tell.  I would listen very closely to the new CDPs before I decide to get rid of the PX360.  And see what others who can compare say about the improved action. Just my opinion. If you didn't have a PX360 I would still try one out anyway first but you may actually lose some features, until the detailed specs are in. I'm having trouble believing the smaller cabinet will hold a better sound system if that is a concern, and that it will be quieter. Maybe Pianoman Chuck or someone else with both will have an A-B comparison posting up on Youtube soon.  

• Like 1

The thread title keeps cracking me up. I kept running into people this week who would say, "you aren't at NAMM?" and I'd say "nope, but you aren't either!" and some would reply, "I escaped NAMM!!!" 😂

The PX-360 is still a great keyboard. Whether one goes from that model to a new PX-S depends on how you use it. If the sound of the piano and the modeling is really important, as well as having a three-pedal unit, maybe a PX-S would be better. OTOH, if you're using some features the PX-360 has that these don't, if its workflow is perfect for you, you love that color touch screen, staying with it is an option. I don't think this model is going away from the Casio line-up anytime soon anyway.

• Like 2

On 1/25/2019 at 5:54 PM, Jokeyman123 said:

I am not sure you will be getting anything sounding appreciably better than the PX360-I wouldn't jump too fast but i could be wrong. Remember Casio likes to make incremental changes and the 360 has a pretty good piano already. Plus, I am not sure about the rest of the specs on the 1000-3000 yet. 

I think you and Joe Muscara are right. Now that I was able to look at the new Privias a little bit (online specs of course) my Namm envy is gone. 😂  It seems like a perfectly good addition to the Privia line but nothing worth selling mine over. At least not yet. Plus I really like the touch screen on the 360.