Video Files on Forum ×

Saving mixer settings

Jokeyman123

I thought I Had this one under control-using the 2-button solution to save header information when I want to modify mixer settings in an existing multitrack arrangement with the PX560, but I am still having some difficulty.

By pushing and holding the play/stop and store buttons-I get a screen indication that my settings have been saved once I change levels, pan etc. with the mixer screen-I thought along with the existing arrangement/midi file recorder. But when I replay the arrangement with the midi recorder, it reverts back to the settings I had before I modified and saved these. Strangely, sometimes it works and my changed settings remain and sometimes not. I have also tried deleting and re-recording the system track with the modified mixer settings, but this doesn't seem to work either. For exmple-on 2 separate tracks I have a bass track and piano track set with levels of 100 for each, which is th levels I used when I originally recorded. When I lower each track's level to 70-75 and push the start/stop and store buttons, the screen prompt indicates this has been saved. But when I play the arrangement over-the original levels are restored as i watch the mixer settings screen. Should I not be using the 2-button setting for saving the settings-perhaps i m misunderstanding which header settings are being saved-am I actually reverting/saving the header settings back to my originals when I use the 2-button setting? I didn't think this is what is supposed to be happening.

Any help on what I may be missing? I have system lock off and auto resume on, although I don't think that should matter. I am on version 1.15-have I found a bug, or am I doing something wrong?

Header overwrite is supposed to save any mixer changes.  On one particular song with the MZ-X500, I used event editing on a piano track, adding an expression level event to bring volume down to the level I wanted.  You don't have event editing on the PX-560, so I would probably create a user tone and change its volume level in the tone itself.  I'm not sure why yours isn't saving, so that's my only idea.

Have you manipulated the midi file with an editor off the PX560?  When I reload a midi file that I've edited on a PC to the PX560, I too have (not always) frozen mixer settings.  Seems random.  I too have attempted to rerecord system track to no avail.  Seems invisible (to editors) system track mixer saves occasionally get frozen.  I use MidiEditor for Win10.  My workaround is manually setting mixer once I've started to make audio recording on PX560.  Not convenient.  BTW, I have firmware V1.15

Thanks Brad-I tried it again with several other midi recordings-that I created in the PX560-and it is working again. And T-square-I will check again regarding what you've described. That might be what is happening-I have not modified any of the PX560 arrangements with an external software sequencer-but I have opened and played a few transferred back and forth from my thumb drive-I will have to look at that again. I also found another weirdness-I am thinking the CPU or operating system may be lagging-when I uploaded Mike's new sounds for the PX560 in my thumb drive-all .ZLT's-even after allowing for the thumb drive to mount-the sounds did not show up at all at first when I switched to load sounds. I powered down, removed and reinserted the thumb drive-its a 32GB Sandisk Cruzer that's been working fine for months-and the sounds suddenly appeared. Both these problems may be related to OS or CPU lag. I hope that's it-there is no other firmware update past 1.15, and I'm not sure these are "bugs" or just the result of the CPU being a little slow-screen redraws are quite fast so I really didn't expect any lags in functions. I'll post again if I continue to have problems-no computer-powered anything is perfect! 

I  have been very wary of counterfeit thumb drives causing all kinds of weird problems since I discovered 2 that did this-I can post pictures of the offenders if anybody needs me to. i didn't think this Cruzer was a counterfeit-but this is the type of thing that happens when a thumb drive is-throws errors, files disappear-and it is not really the capacity it is advertised as-I never diagnosed this one, now I will. Never saw this happen before, so now I'm suspicious. I'll post back with my results. Could even be why the header save function is throwing errors. A substandard counterfeit drive can cause operating system failures too, especially when it "mounts"-the bad drives I had were crashing my entire computer, and i had no idea it was due to a counterfeit drive until I researched and tested them. I've posted about this before-these are made to look like the originals (Sandisk, Kingston, etc.) and the firmware is altered to make the drive appear as an 8-16-32-64GB drive-usually the bigger capacities are the offenders-but in reality the capacity is nowhere near that, and these will be defective drives-which is why these are being disguised, the real manufacturers reject these, and the counterfeiters somehow get the rejected batches. Nasty stuff.  

It could also be as simple as the flash drive simply didn't make a clean contact with the USB port when inserted.  I've had that happen, where unplugging and plugging back in fixed it.  Those of us who grew up using video game cartridge based systems know the drill by heart.  Those were notorious for glitching out if one of the contacts were dirty when you plugged in the cartridge. 

I have also to add that sometime even good drives could fail in weird ways sometimes, especially because  a "cold" solder joint will cause problems after some time the device is used. On rare cases there are problem with the flash drive chipset and USB interface used and the operating system. Very old thumb drives are prone to this, so they are working perfectly if plugged on a Macbook and generare read errors when plugged in a Desktop running Linux.

• 2 years later...

Hi All, I am recording music for a film and I can't seem to get the volume levels to stick in the midi file, after I record them.

I've tried the above suggestions. Is there a new software update that addresses this? Much appreciation for any help you can offer. Here' to a creative and healthy 2022! Marsi 

Need a little more detail.

Are you describing a recording done entirely with the PX560 mid/song recorder? If so, The posts above may not be making this clear-but in order to have all the volume levels-or dynamic changes in volume levels recorded, and retained-you need to record the master track-after you have set levels for each of the other tracks that you wish to "lock in"-as if you are "striping" or "marking" a video track-to keep all your edits locked in.

The master track is the only track that will also save and preserve your tempo-you need to determine your base tempo-and record the master track-even if it is a "dummy" or empty track-it will have recorded all your settings for the other tracks, including DSP levels, send levels and of course your volume, for each track. So you have to plan whatever other content you want to record on the master track. I usually don't record anything-I leave it as my dummy track to use specifically to save my edits.

Now what will happen is this-if you change any of settings in any individual track after you have recorded the master track-your tracks will always reset to whatever these were when you recorded your master track-including the tempo and programs/tones you used. If you have decided that your original settings were not where you wanted these to be, reset everything you need to-again, tempo, tones, DSP, volume levels-and "stripe" a new master track-re-record the master track-now it will have recorded all your new settings. There is no overdubbing-so every time you record the master track, it will delete your prior master track settings and "stripe" a new bunch of settings. Many workstations that record multiple midi tracks follow the same design, with a master track that is used for recording tempo changes, tone changes, DSP send levels etc. which is a little tricky to work with, but very simple once you do it a few times, at least it was for me.

And if you already used the master track to record for example an auto-arrangement, since this is the only track that can do that-you no longer will have that flexibility to re-record the other tracks, and save those settings-as you have found out-your individual track settings will always revert to whatever was originally recorded on the master track.  I think if you understand this design, it will be the solution you need. By the way-what method are you using to sync your audio with your video, once you have your midi track completed?

Edited by Jokeyman123
  • Thanks 1