MZ-X 500 Sampling scenarios

mike71

I have a question about the sampling capabilities of the MZ-X 500.

Can I record a sample via the mic or line in, eventually trim it and then assign to the keyboard to play the samply transposing in frequency?

Could do the same thing with a .wav file? This wav file could be really short, like 1 period short, like the old skool wavetavle syntesizer ( like the fz-1 draw wave or the Ensoniq SQ-80)?

Could use these samples to make the sounds for the bass mono synth?

If your goal is to create a user tone from samples, the best way is to use a computer and the Casio MZX Sample Manager application.  You can drop samples into the sample manager to create user tones.  Before opening the sample manager, use third party software to record, edit and set loop markers in your samples.  Export them as WAV or AIFF files. When loaded into the keyboard, the samples will loop at the points set by the markers.  The Sample Manager can create hex layer tones, regular tones and drum tones.  Bass synth tones are really hex layer tones, so yes you can create those as well.  

And yes, the keyboard can record samples from the mic/line inputs, but those recordings go to the pads first.  There is a limit to what those samples can do.  

18 hours ago, Brad Saucier said:

If your goal is to create a user tone from samples, the best way is to use a computer and the Casio MZX Sample Manager application.  You can drop samples into the sample manager to create user tones.  Before opening the sample manager, use third party software to record, edit and set loop markers in your samples.  Export them as WAV or AIFF files

Ok, So I have to edit the sound as I like with a tool like audacity , and then using a tool like LoopAuditioneer or endlesswaw to mark the loop points.

Then use the sample manager to manage the split point or defining the hex layer using it.

And yes, the keyboard can record samples from the mic/line inputs, but those recordings go to the pads first.  There is a limit to what those samples can do.  

SO I can record a sample to a pad, and I have seen some demos on it, but I don't understand if I can get it and use on the fly as a tone in Upper1?

The manual it's quite confusing about it (the Italian translation it's more confusing...):

Using Pads§Use the procedures in this section to assign sampled sounds to pads and to sound the samples.You can also automatically assign sampled sounds that are appropriate for the currently selected tone (Upper 1) to pads with the touch of a button

By the way I noticed that on the block diagram, the audio in goes directly to audio out and amplification, so I suppose no noise gate on it, but I could have a noise gate active on mic input ( or turn off on the parameters, I suppose)...

4 hours ago, mike71 said:

SO I can record a sample to a pad, and I have seen some demos on it, but I don't understand if I can get it and use on the fly as a tone in Upper1?

Recorded pad samples can only be played on the pads initially.  A firmware update added the ability to select from user pad samples during drum tone editing, for use as a drum kit sound. 

4 hours ago, mike71 said:

You can also automatically assign sampled sounds that are appropriate for the currently selected tone (Upper 1) to pads with the touch of a button

This is in reference to the pad controller button labeled SAMPLING.  Pressing that button will call up pad samples related to the tone that is currently selected as upper 1.  This will mostly bring up Standard Kit 1 as pad samples.  For organ tones it might bring up Jazz Set for the pads.  For synth tones it might bring up Dance Set 1 as pad samples.  

Brad-I see that this sample manager converts to ZLT format. Before I try something I will regret-is it possible that wav samples edited  with this program will be able to be read by my PX560 converted to ZLT? Sure would be nice if it were so. ZLT is the tone file format for the PX560. although I realize Casio formats can be very specific, not compatible across keyboards.

ZLT is also the name of the tones on px-5s. I suppose they are different between models, but sharing the same extension.

I guess that the px-560 doesn't have the extra RAM to store the samples, and also the prebuilt wave list is different

• 2 years later...
On 9/16/2021 at 12:02 AM, Brad Saucier said:

The MZX sample manager software is necessary to create user tones with wave data you can play on the keyboard.

While I'm doing Sampling for Hex Layer tones I save two sampled tones on the MZ-X500. But when I saved my third Hex Layered tone. I saw the first two tones samples are not responsive and the third one only sounds. What is the problem, I faced this many time.

My settings

Init by Wave: ON

Preload samples: ON (All three tones)

Edited by Akshansh