Video Files on Forum ×

PX560 punch in/out and insert measure questions

Jokeyman123

I haven't tried any of this yet, want to be sure it is do-able first.

When using the midi recorder punch in/out function-is it possible to specify the beginning measure of a punch in function at the end of an existing recorded track? In other words, can I use the punch function to add a specific number of measures to an existing track-a kind of append function? Normally punch in/out is placed between measures of course. Or could i achieve the same function by using the "insert measure" function-insert a range of measures after the last measure of an existing track, and can this be done preceding a recorded track-add measures befoire a pre-recored measure number one in other words?

This would give me the ability to add to an existing track. i think the question I need to understand is this....once I record a track for example, of 8 measures, can I now record another track, or the same track, and add measures onto what I already have, or will I discover that my new recording is limited to the length of my existing track?

One more question-what exactly does the  "re-recording" function do, as opposed to "new" recording? I know "new" will erase everything on the specified track, but I am not clear on the other.  From the manual, this seems like the function I need to always select before punching in/out which I'm hoping might give me the ability to perform some of the recording techniques I've described above in this post. Haven't tried any of this, and I will, but if anyone has done any of this this already with any success let me know. 

OK, I managed to get some time in on this, this is what I was able to do. Thanks Brad for clarifying the re-recording function. I have managed to add measures (insert) before my first recorded measures-any number can be added based upon the PX560 design. I was also able to "append" to the end of my existing 8-measure track-on the same track-again, only limited by the max number the PX560 allows. As long as I first use the "insert" function on an existing recorded track to create a new group of measures to record to, then use the punch in/out function to specify the new section of empty measures, it works perfectly.

Maybe this procedure for recording with the midi recorder is obvious to everyone else, but wasn't to me, and it does help in the way I like to record. Still can't cut and paste though-since the copy track function copies the entire track to another track, but doesn't seem to have a function for setting start and end points-specific sections of an existing track. I would like to believe this one software function could somehow be added with a firmware update, especially given the PX560 is a flagship model in a sense. I can't think of another 88-key piano action keyboard that does everything this does at this price. it really has no direct competition and a few more software functions would put it in the "workstation" category IMO, pretty cool for what is supposed to be simply a "stage piano".  I will look over the manual again-but I don't think there is a workaround for this cut and paste function. Pretty happy I found this insert function to work as it does. Makes recording without a computer a little easier for me. 

I think Casio is pretty good about writing software that makes full use of their LSI technology.  I think if they felt they could add more new features in an update, they would.  The firmware may already up against the hardware limitations in the keyboard.  Perhaps something would need to go away to make room for more code.