Video Files on Forum ×

Piano sounds distorting

gergriffin

I have a casio px5s recently bought secondhand.  It was ok when it was delivered and played well for about 5 days at home.  Then the next time I played it the piano sounds were distorted.  I checked all leads and the amp etc but to no avail.  The funny thing is, strings and organ sounds are ok.  Has anyone encountered this.

Hi all,

Thanks for replies.

Volume is at about 9- 10 o'clock which is where I would always leave it and rely on the amp for volume

I haven't changed any of the settings

The stage setting is  gig piano from Dave on the site here -it was working perfectly.  The stock pianos are also distorting

The mod wheel is at 0  and its not a mod wheel sound  - its overdrive or distortion when played anyway loudly

I think I'll reset it to Factory and go from there although it sounds like an output transformer or power supply sound  ant I have changed over the power supply

Any more advice will be greatly appreciated

Another question-is the sound distorted through headphones? if not, then it may be directly due to the output ICs used to drive the speakers. If other sounds are OK, this is probably not the problem. How are the batteries? If installed and weak even with power supply connected, could be interfering with proper voltages to the internal boards-acting as a resistance to load. I've observed that in other battery-powered music instruments, check that.

Does this happen only from keyboard live playing, or if you record a phrase for example using the piano, does it still distort?

The only other possibility I can think of-the sample tables for the pianos specifically are not being read properly, possibly due to an internal software "glitch" or something similar with the DSP software-could be calling up a distortion setting in error even if the setting looks correct (no distortion setting for piano). I don't own the PX5s, but have the 560, 350 and older 575-a temporary software glitch could cause this for a variety of reasons, such as a power spike or drop or sudden interruption in power. Is there a "factory restore" or "reset" for the PX5s, might be worth a try. 

7 hours ago, gergriffin said:

Hi all,

Thanks for replies.

Volume is at about 9- 10 o'clock which is where I would always leave it and rely on the amp for volume

I haven't changed any of the settings

The stage setting is  gig piano from Dave on the site here -it was working perfectly.  The stock pianos are also distorting

The mod wheel is at 0  and its not a mod wheel sound  - its overdrive or distortion when played anyway loudly

I think I'll reset it to Factory and go from there although it sounds like an output transformer or power supply sound  ant I have changed over the power supply

Any more advice will be greatly appreciated

Based on what you're describing the problem is likely in the Master Compressor settings.  If you go there, pressing -/+ over each parameter will restore them to their default settings. 

Nice, easy fix! Got lucky on this one, eh? If it happens again, then there may be reason for further troubleshooting. I've had a few mysterious software glitches come and go. Happens to the best of 'em-why I'm careful about power going into any keyboard. Even batteries in and out can solve some pretty seemingly nasty problems (sometimes!)