Video Files on Forum ×

PX560 as MIDI master to another keyboard

Gaurav

Hello! 

I wish to use my PX560 as a midi master to my Korg PA1000. My objective is to enjoy the keys of my PX560 & sound/functionality of PA1000. Is this possible? How set it up? 

I am new to MIDI world hence I have no knowledge about it. 

Any guidance will be helpful. 

Cheers! 

Gaurav

OK, dummy me got the Korg to use the PX560 as a controller.  I had my headphones plugged into the Casio and not the Korg (midi cables don't transfer audio).....D'oh!  As an alternate, I'm using a  3.5mm male to male between Korg headphone jack and audio in on back of PX560 so the Korg sounds thru the PX560's speakers.  Only additional thing you have to do is turn off local control on the PX560 midi menu so the Casio sound engine will be disabled.  However, if you want to record your results with the PX560 audio recorder you will have to use 1/4" mono left & right (2 cables) for line out on the Korg to line in on the PX560.  You cannot use the audio recorder with the PX560 audio in (3.5mm).  See manual pages EN-10 & EN-11 for further clarification.

I´m not a 560M-user yet, but I already have it in my shopping Card. Not 100% sure, If I get it, since I want to be able to use it as a controller, too.

On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 9:22 PM, Brad Saucier said:

PX-560 works just fine as a MIDI controller for basic things.  The PX-5S adds more options of course.  

Ok, just for clarification for a n00b like me: :)

What aree the Basic things?

Playing external sources (Mac with VSTi sample libraries/midi expanders)?

Program Change (in hex layer mode, too)?

Registration change <=> program Change? 

Pitch Bend/Mod Wheel for external devices?

Internal mute per preset individually?

that´s the most I need and I think, These are basic things? Innit? :-)

If you download the PX560 manual, you will see the midi implementation chart at the end. All the above in your post are available with the PX560-but not sure about registration changes sent or received, I can check with midiox and my PX560, or Brad might weigh in there. The only thing I cannot do, it isn't on your list but just FYI....the internal PX560 midi recorder can not record from external sources to its internal midi recorder. But part of the midi control built into the PX560 allows for 3 separate midi choices for midi in control of the PX560-called ports A, B and C. All 3 have 16 midi channels available and the mixer will show in real time what is playing. For example-when you record with the internal midi recorder, it is using port C channels 1-16. If you connect your DAW or external midi sequencers to the PX560-it will use port B to play its internal sounds, separately from the midi recorder. And port A is accessing the keyboard sounds you play live, directly from the main menu-for splits, layers. You can effectively use all 3 ports-play live from the keyboard through port A, have a 16-track midi sequence playing from the internal midi recorder through port C, and your DAW or external sequencer playing through port B, all at the same time. Pretty amazing and with 256 note polyphony you will not run out of voices. There is a diagram in the manual detailing the midi routing design. Very cool.