Video Files on Forum ×

How to switch rotary speed?

john*

I just got a PX-S3000 and am very happy with the sounds and light weight.

I'm coming from an old Roland FP-5 so I'm trying to find comparable functions on the panel buttons.

When playing organ patches, the obvious necessary control is a switch for the speed of the rotary effect.

The FP-5 had a button that would do that.

Is there a way to have this function on the PX-S3000?

I thought it might be easy to map it to the pitch wheel, but I can't find a way.

It needs to be a button that is easy to press on the fly... a knob would be too clunky.

I'm pretty sure this has already been addressed, but I can't find a reference to it.

Thanks!

I'm a little surprised this isn't set up by default.  Seems like casio missed a trick here.  Every sound has the two knobs set as default as "cut off" and "resonance" but surely the thing most users want to adjust on the organ emulations by default is the rotary?  Seems like a lot of work to get this done.....or maybe I'm missing something?

Perhaps that's a good suggestion for the survey. As it stands, knob functions are handled on a system level rather than at the tone itself.  This is why the function of the knobs do not change when tones are changed. This allows you to set the knobs for a particular function and have that same functionality for any tone you select.  Knob set selection can be stored in registrations, so you can have one registration for a certain knob set, then have another registration for a different knob set.  

Here's a link to the survey post....

Hi Brad,

Thanks for your kind and informative reply.

How amazing that you are onboard and so quick to respond.

Much appreciation.

I followed your advice and saved a couple of registrations with Rotary mapped to knobs.

It works!

Thanks.

Not as intuitive or playable as my old Roland, but it gets the job done.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to name the new registrations.

Found the Text Character Input on page EN-13, but I can't figure out how to apply it to the new registrations.

Sorry if I'm missing something obvious.

I'm definitely new to the platform and between the front panel and the Chordana app, I'm a bit boggled.

Also, looking for the DSP edit page in Chordana... 

Thanks!

Hi John.  Unfortunately it's not possible to name registered setups for display on the keyboard or Chordana, but they do have a bank/number configuration that is usually handy if you already have a set list of songs written down somewhere else, or sheet music with notes on them.  Simply add the registration bank/number to your notes. 

It's worth noting that registration banks can be saved to a USB flash drive or through Chordana, where the files themselves can be named upon saving.  

As far as DSP editing, there's an excellent tutorial video Casio did as a live webinar a few months ago.  Mike Martin teaches how to do it on the keyboard at about 25 minutes.  I'm not sure about Chordana since I can't access the app without being connected to the PX-S3000. 

Thanks brad.  Will do.  And will add in one about naming user registrations too. That would be really useful!

John,  did you manage to edit the default "tone" dsp set up for the organ or did you have to change the effect chain to something else?

Hey Brad,

Thanks for the reply.

I'm disappointed that I can't name the patches, but I'll get over it.😢

Might this be a function that could be updated in firmware?

That said, I'm finding really cool combinations of layered sounds.

There is a lot of sonic potential here.

It is a fun keyboard.

Hey mozart....

I don't think there is a way to edit the defaults for the tones.

That would be a great feature.

I just loaded an organ patch and slapped a rotary DSP on it.

As Brad suggested, I set the knobs to DSP control.

Saved it as an unnamed registration.

It gives access to the speed of the Leslie.

A bit clunky, but better than no control. 

just thought I'd highlight an error in Mike's video: when it gets to 56.20 and mike says that you can walk into a store, select the first organ tone "Js Organ" and knob 1 will effect the rotary speed,  it doesn't. As they come by factory default, knobs one and 2 are set to "Cutoff " and "resonance" for every tone. You can of course edit the knobs to have them effect "dsp parameters" but by default this isn't the state they are in. Just thought I'd highlight that for new users.....

• Like 1

Yeah. That is correct. I think Mike is displaying wishful thinking.

I'm still confused by what the two knobs do when set to "dsp parameters" in the rotary mode.

Eventually, I can get it to speed up and slow down, but this should be a "one button" function.

My old Roland had a button that would accomplish this task.

I'm thinking the PX was not intended to do B3 type organs for live performance.

@john*  About DSP knob controls. The parameters affected by the DSP knob set are two that are automatically selected as being the most applicable to the currently selected DSP. effect. An example, when preset Auto Pan is selected, Parameter 1 is LFO Waveform, and Parameter 2 is LFO Rate.  The reference section of the PX-S3000 User Guide has a chart that shows all DSP parameters.  The chart does not indicate which parameters are selected for knob sets, but it is useful to get familiar with what parameters are editable using the DSP menu system on the keyboard. 

On 8/18/2019 at 9:39 AM, john* said:

Yeah. That is correct. I think Mike is displaying wishful thinking.

I'm still confused by what the two knobs do when set to "dsp parameters" in the rotary mode.

Eventually, I can get it to speed up and slow down, but this should be a "one button" function.

My old Roland had a button that would accomplish this task.

I'm thinking the PX was not intended to do B3 type organs for live performance.

Absolutely.  Yep.  A button would be ideal. I was hoping you could map the sustain pedal to this function.   I think the PX is definitely a compromise. I think they've tried to fit lots in to an electric piano at a certain price point, and for the money they've done very well. It's just a shame they seem to have overlooked a few things that would have made life a bit easier when using it live.    

• 4 months later...

I can understand not being able to rename "Registrations" on the keyboard itself, but in the Chordana app should EASILY be able to handle this, if your programmers have ANY savvy at all (I did that for years, that kind of capability is a no-brainer, and would make  HUGE difference in live gig playability._ I don't receive my 3000 till next Thursday, but the programs/registrations I need to set up are very clearcut and name-worthy (I use the same names for the same setups across instruments, so naming conventions are important to those who are not content with factory sounds.). i can NEVER use factory patches, there is always a significant improvement to be made. (Sorry if that sounds like a rant.)
So top of the Wish List, please.

For the organ leslie effect I'm wondering how you "map" the DSP rotary effect to the two knobs when rotary is # 16 and knob selection only goes up to 14?

Thanks!

As another user stated the Roland (300nx and 700nx) have a button (or you can use a footswitch) to turn off and on.

Thanks Brad, I saved the Organ registration, but it didn't save the DSP controlled by the knobs, which was working while in the edit mode.

I did set DSP effect to "on" since the default is "off" - probably a user error but any other thoughts are appreciated - 4 gigs this week and need to get things happening quickly! 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...