Video Files on Forum ×

CTK-7200 Keys not working

I have another longshot guess. Having the XW-P1, I think it is pretty much the same mechanicals for the keys and if you are not willing to send this to Casio for repair, it may be (?) that the screwstrip that holds down the back of the keys has become loose, which would cause this limited range of keys not to sit properly on the rubber boots below when playing. This strip is integral with the keys in separate sections, and do work loose if played frequently.  I'm thinking this is in the middle range of keys where you might be playing most frequently, so it is possible. If you are not able to do the repair yourself,  I would send it to Casio. As Brad has suggested, there could be a fracture or electrical  circuit disconnecting in that section of the circuitry under the keys. If you are willing to dis-assemble the CTK yourself, if it is at all like my XW-P1, the keyscrews I've described are right under the top panel, and not too difficult to get to if you are willing to decipher how to get this apart and you would be able to see if there is anything visibly wrong, broken or interfering with those keys. You may be able to get the middle section to lift up by removing specific screws underneath and this may be all you need to do. I'm assuming you have no warranty for service. if I had the 7200 I could post some disassembly pics. If you can wait a bit, I'm getting one within a few days and i will tear it apart to see-yet another in my arsenal of Casio noise-makers! 

• Like 1

There is one more possibility: the ribbon cable that connects the keyboard to the sound chip might not be making proper contact in the connector. I used to run into this when taking the PX 575 I had apart and would sometimes have a whole octave dead. Reseating the cable would always fix it.

• Like 1

Casiofun, thanks for adding this in. I have found at least 2 pieces of equipment that were not working properly due to this exact type of ribbon connector not seated entirely in its socket. The ones that just pressure-fit, with no lock on the socket are the worse culprit. it takes-apparently-very little to have these slip enough out of the socket to cause a major malfunction. Will take another few days for my CTK-7200 to arrive. Casiofun-do you have any disassembly pics of the CTK7200? Would save me and Montreal some trouble.

I had to tear down my WK7500 because of a stuck note.    What I found that this video here shows the CTX-700 utilizes the same construction of the individual keys.   This is shown at about 12:30 mark in the You Tube video showing the tear down of a CTX700.    A quick check at the Casio parts supplier indeed shows the same keys used in many of the Casio products.   

https://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/topic/15792-ct-x700-teardown-from-youtube/

Until you take it apart and look at the individual keys,  rubber boots that close key switches or as been suggested here that it could be a ribbon cable loose or even pulled out of its socket.   At that point you should be able to see what problem exists.    There are quite a few things that could be causing your keys not to sound other than those listed. 

Take your time after you have removed all the screws underneath and slowly separate the housing.  If the video or the thought of tearing down your keyboard is too much of a challenge, then it would be time to send it to the repair shop.

CTK 900

WK 7500

• 2 years later...