Video Files on Forum ×

"No Response From Keyboard" SMF Converter

RyanEdward

I understand that this forum category is for Celviano AP-X20 series, however my Celviano model is old and not listed here, so I thought this is the most appropriate place. Please forgive me.

I wish to copy a MIDI file from my Windows 10 x64 PC over to my Casio Celviano AP-24. I have purchased a MIDI in-out to USB adapter with 'drivers preinstalled'. As stated on http://music.casio.com/e/smf/, the AP-24 is supported by the SMF Converter. However, when I open SMF Converter and select the option to 'copy to keyboard' it returns with 'no response from keyboard'. I then choose 'set up MIDI device'. From the drop down menus for 'IN' and 'OUT' I choose 'USB A' for each. The same problem persists.
I HAVE TRIED: 

>   Opening SMF Converter as an administrator
>   Running SMF Converter in compatibility mode with XP.

>   Running on Wine in Ubuntu.
>   Installing the drivers from https://support.casio.com/en/support/download.php?cid=008&pid=72 (although not actually for this model, I thought it was worth a shot)
>  Testing the 'convert only' option. This ostensibly works.

>  Emailing Casio support. Very disappointed here. I get back an automated email saying to contact there 'international' team via a link. I use this link and get the same email back telling me to contact the 'international' team. 3 times I have done this.

NOTE: 

In SMF Converter, the MIDI connection does seem to appear however it just can't interact with it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

What type of midi USB adapter cable are you using? All of these are not created equal, some will not work, or only partially especially if it is one of the cheap Chinese-made converters, I have had much trouble with that kind of midi usb cable. I now use a Midisport USB to midi DIN converter on my Casios. 

Thanks for the quick reply!

23 hours ago, Brad Saucier said:

Okay, I would start with basic troubleshooting first.  Make sure your MIDI cables are connected to the correct ports.  MIDI IN on the cable should be connected to MIDI OUT on the keyboard, and the cables OUT should be connected to the keyboards IN.  

I have done this. Same problem persists.

10 hours ago, Jokeyman123 said:

What type of midi USB adapter cable are you using? All of these are not created equal, some will not work, or only partially especially if it is one of the cheap Chinese-made converters, I have had much trouble with that kind of midi usb cable. I now use a Midisport USB to midi DIN converter on my Casios. 

I'm using one I purchased from ebay (see attached file for an image). It has two lights for 'IN' and 'OUT'. When plugged in and I press a key on the piano the 'IN' light flashes, so I have reason to suspect it does work. The 'OUT' light never flashes however.

It cost $12 AUD. There are others I have seen costing $68 AUD, e.g. ROLAND UM-ONE MK2 USB MIDI INTERFACE. Is this price of $68 the 'standard' for these cables of serviceable quality? i.e. I just want to copy a midi file over, nothing high-tech.

midi-cable.png

This cable may be the problem. The Midisport cost about 30.00 US but is very solid and works perfectly. Read some Google descriptions about these cheap cables, there are several posts here too. Some of these are assembled with a major ic component missing inside, or poorly soldered leading to partial functioning or not at all. I have 2 of these, both give me trouble, one was completely dead although the lights worked, fooled me! The name brands also support their USB adapters with well-designed driver installation files, turns out to be important regardless of Casio keyboards used. Windows USB midi driver does not work well with most USB midi converter cables, especially these cheap ones which is all that you will find for these. And the Casio drivers wont solve your problem if the cable is faulty. Look around eBay and other vendor sites, you can find decent name brand adapters for around 30.00, that's all I paid and it was new.

• Thanks 1

You, me and about a thousand other buyers! That is how I discovered the problem, after tearing my one hair out for hours trying to figure out what was wrong with 1) my operating system 2) my keyboardssssss-tried each one several tines 3) my computers and 4)  half dozen software programs before I realized it was the crappy cable after all that.  I made sure i posted here to warn others of this problem, glad you solved it!

• Like 1