Video Files on Forum ×

Some help with organ sound

jonahj

To set up a jazz organ sound I have a few basis questions:

1.  I would like to cut out the vibrato/ rotary effect and only add it when I want it.  I believe I've read that you can assign that effect to a knob?  If so, what are the steps necessary?

2.  Will that assign that function to the knob just for that sound? 

2.  If I assign that effect to a knob for that sound, I have the keyboard set to keep any modifications in place when you turn it off and on.  Would I still need to assign that modification to a registration bank?  

Thanks, and sorry if these are basic questions as I'm still struggling to learn this stuff.  

The ability to control rotary speed will depend if the organ tone is using DSP for the rotary effect.  If it is, then simply setting the knobs to control DSP parameters will do it. Press the exit/function button to change to "ctrl".  Press the knob button and use the < > buttons to select "DSP param".  I would save this as a registration.  

FYI - vibrato and rotary are two totally different things when it comes to Hammond organs. I read your post and thought, "you can have vibrato on a knob as well?" then I realized what you were saying.

A little bit of history for you. Laurens Hammond hated the Leslie cabinets, and constantly changed the Hammond so they wouldn't work with his newest models. The vibrato/chorus effect was designed so that people wouldn't need Leslie cabinets, but instead people found interesting ways to use both.

• Like 2

Thanks for the responses.   I haven't had a chance to check them out yet but will soon.   As a person who has little experience with electric keyboards (a lifetime on the piano) trying to modify the sounds on the 3000 is proving a real challenge.  Hopefully I'll get there as I only need a few sounds.  Wish there were some nice, easy,  tutorials on modifying the sounds.  

That said... the 3000 lacks a simple switch to go from slow to fast speed.

You can set the knobs, but it is still not what you are seeking.

My old Roland FP5 had a switch that would do specific things per patch.

Obviously, it assigned rotary speed fast/slow on an organ patch.

Kind of a "duh" for organ sounds.

Not sure why Casio couldn't do this.

The XW-P1 has a dedicated button for this. I believe the CTK and WK 7000-7200-7500-7600 have this but not sure. The older PX575 doesn't either, but I create 2 identical organ tones, one with slow Leslie, the other fast and just switch tones. Pretty clunky but does work, sort of.

The PX560 does not have a dedicated switch or button, but I have it set to work with a simple sustain pedal for this but must be programmed and saved to work this way-the sustain pedal is connected to the expression pedal input and used as an on/off pedal instead of a continuous controller. I bought a cheap LIne 6 rotomachine pedal-not as good as the more expensive alternatives, but definitely easier to use with any of the Casios, and does a decent job of variations in cabinets, ramp speed and intensity. Even has a variable distortion effect. Really designed for guitarists, but the inputs and outputs seem to match up OK wit the Casio line outs in my Privias.

This is why I kept my ancient Generalmusic Equinox. Not only has a full set of drawbars-but has dedicated buttons for fast/slow, and percussion 1 and 2 or off, like a Hammond-and 3 preset banks of Hammond organs for rock, jazz and blues. Still my favorite for Hammond/Leslie effects. and the drawbars are programmable. I think I'd have to get a pretty costly Nord, Suzuki, Korg (older Korg models had drawbars) or other Hammond keyboard clone to get all that. This would be a good model for Casio to look at. But you cant have mine, ha-ha!