Video Files on Forum ×

Not complete without arranger 'memory' or Sync stop

TedS

The PX-560M is pretty awesome.  But it lacks a couple of things that are absolutely essential to the way I play.  Specifically, an arranger 'memory' parameter, and/or sync stop.

Turning "memory" or arranger hold OFF stops the melodic accompaniment when you release the keys in the style section.  Generally the drums would continue to play.  Most folks would leave this on all the time, but being able to turn off arranger memory adds flexibility for rubato pieces, or any music that doesn't require a rhythmic accompaniment.  It would sound great with the "string quartet" or piano styles.

Another way to achieve a similar effect is by activating "sync stop," which stops the style when keys in the style section are released.  However with sync stop, even the drums are silent.  Sync stop was added to some of Casio's newer arrangers, especially the MZ-X500, which has a similar look and feel to the PX-560M.  But the keybed on the MZ-X500 can't really compare to the PX-560M.

So could Sync stop, or even an arranger memory parameter be added to the PX-560M in an OS update?  Of course there wouldn't be a dedicated button for sync stop on the panel, but some other brands use the same button with multiple presses to cycle through sync start and stop.

Brad please consider this for the next OS update, or even the successor model!!

Brad, while very helpful and knowledgeable, is not responsible for firmware updates for Casio products. Those are always handled by R&D from the main office in Tokyo. However, we appreciate you bringing this request to our attention. I am not currently aware of any planned firmware updates for the PX-560, but from my experience with Casio, updates this late in a product’s life cycle are typically restricted to minor bug fixes rather than the implementation of entirely new features.

The memory hold off feature you describe has never appeared on a modern Casio arranger to my knowledge. Synchro Stop was recently implemented in the CT-X series of arranger boards, but given that they have a similar keybed to the MZ-X series, that likely wouldn’t satisfy your needs. Given that these features were not included among the accompaniment controls on the recently released PX-S3000, it would seem as though Casio is not prioritizing arranger-specific features when designing their digital pianos moving forward. However, I don’t see the S3000 as a true “successor” to the PX-560 in terms of feature set, so it’s possible that you might see such features appear on a higher end PX-S pro model if such a thing is in development.

Might there be a way to mute the drum accompaniment channel with the mixer for accompaniment tracks, save this as a registration perhaps, or even saved as a user rhythm this way. I haven't tried, i will experiment today if i get some spare time. The hold function, i cannot think of a way to work around.  A useful feature implemented on other equipment I've used.  I'd also been hoping for some kind of firmware update for a few features missing in the sequencer-cut and paste, copy track sections are missing, as is overdub but with 16 recording tracks the overdub is not a big issue. The others, for linear recording without using software a bit of a dawdle. I like to record a basic 8-16-32 or so  measure section and copy that for quicker editing. I have to use "create measure" and "punch in/out" to extend an existing track or multi-track although the loop section is useful but not for extending a track. Most hardware sequencers I've used have these functions, even much older Rolands, Korgs etc. I gave up hopng for a firmware update, still a killer board the PX560. 

@TedS  I am simply an admin on the forums. From my experience in that role, I can tell you that user feedback definitely plays a part in future products at Casio.  They're always listening and each new model is, in some part, a result of the feedback.  We can make suggestions on this forum and those suggestions might just appear in the future.  

• Like 2

Thanks Chandler, Brad, and others.

While we're on the subject of minor enhancements, I would also like to see a small addition to your chord recognition table.

In "Fingered 3" / "Fingered on Bass" mode, playing G with C above should be recognized as 'C on G,' i.e., a C chord with G in the bass.  Presently, I believe this two-finger combo is not recognized as any chord in this mode.  To get C on G, you have to add the third above (three notes in total), which is sometimes inconvenient in fast progressions.

A minor change, I know, but leaving G with C above unrecognized is a lost opportunity.

Respectfully and for your consideration,

Ted

Edited by TedS
clarity