Video Files on Forum ×

can I get this sound from my CGP700?

SteveK

here is a soulful electric piano with string pad.   Does anyone have any ideas how to make something close to this:  (of course I'm talking about the tone of the sound of the piano, not playing the notes.... hard for me as a beginner but I am working on it.)

also I am new to this..... I think "pad" means a layer, but I'm not sure.  l guess it is a string layer.

Layers are pretty easy to do in the CGP-700, easier than most keyboards. All you have to do is figure out which tones you want to layer and use them. It is limited to two sounds, but first find the electric piano you want to use, then the other sound. It's all accessible under the top left icon on the color touch display.

"Pad" generally means a sustaining sound that's used behind something else, whether that's in the keyboard or "the keyboard player was playing [horn or string or organ or…] pads behind the rest of the band."

• Like 1

Yes, I understand the concept of layers.  I'm wondering from the video I linked to what sounds on the CGP-700 could be combined to make the sound on the video?  I presume he is not playing a CGP-700 as it sounds very rich and thick, so maybe what I have cant ever match that but I could try to get close.   I've picked the Digital EP5 and GM Syn-Str2, with a 128/37 ratio.  

• 3 years later...
On 11/3/2019 at 9:09 PM, SteveK said:

here is a soulful electric piano with string pad.   Does anyone have any ideas how to make something close to this:  (of course I'm talking about the tone of the sound of the piano, not playing the notes.... hard for me as a beginner but I am working on it.)

also I am new to this..... I think "pad" means a layer, but I'm not sure.  l guess it is a string layer.

If its there layer GPno Mellow with Elec piano 3 , However this what I got on my PX5S , Slightly edit release and upped the brightness Ep 3. 

Is this a gospel lesson for a beginner? In Db? With 7th, 9th and 13th chord extensions? I don't think so. If you are not a fairly advanced player, this is not the place to start IMO.

The 7-3-6-2-5-1 is not exactly a beginner's chord progression, especially not in the key of Db! Don't get discouraged SteveK.

Try just playing the left hand supporting 7th interval voicing first. In the key of C would be a little easier to understand IMO. Root tones would be simply C-B-E-A-D-G-C in the key of C. In the key of Db-roots would be Db-F#-C-Bb-Eb-G# back to Db which he shows pretty clearly, but.... Jeez, maybe I have to start doing some tutorials on chord progressions! Watch his left hand for intervals of "7ths". Might make more sense to you before you try superimposing your extended chord voicings on top of these. Just saying.... many players just use 2-note left hand 7th interval voicings, then you can put a variety of different chords on top of that with your right hand. the 7th voicing in the left hand is called a "skeleton" chord-many bebop guys used to do this as it was a fast way to get through more complex chord progressions-like this one. Bud Powell was one be-bop piano guy that did this constantly. In the key of C...C7-B7-E7-A7-D7-G7-C7. This is also called the "circle of fifths" (or fourths depending on how you look at it) because this chord progression uses a spacing of an interval of a fifth between each root tone. Looking backwards-C to G to D to A to E to B-are all a fifth apart or a fourth looking from left to right. used in a million songs.  Sorry, I'm probably off the chart with this post-can't help it-must be the teacher in me, hard habit to break. Sorry!