Video Files on Forum ×

Double Key Strike

dbecker22

I am having trouble with one Bb key. When played I get a a 2nd key strike sound. The 2nd sound is a split second after the first and at a much higher volume. I also sometimes get a staccato (short sound) on the same key even when the key is held down. I have had the unit apart. removed keys, and cleaned the area. I also have tried to determine if the problem is mechanical or electronic by switching out the Bb (black key) with another and using a different  contact strip. I get the same result. The next steps are probably beyond my pay grade. Any ideas?  

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, bob green said:

I'm on my SECOND Px5s exhibiting this issue, and honestly, as much as I love the instrument if I'd known I was purchasing a project(s) I might have looked elsewhere.....

PX-5S is covered by a 3 year warranty when purchased new and registered online.  If it's within warranty, I would have it serviced.   

4 minutes ago, Brad Saucier said:

PX-5S is covered by a 3 year warranty when purchased new and registered online.  If it's within warranty, I would have it serviced.   

My first one is out of warranty, pretty sure.....my second, I purchased used....if that one gets worse I'll probably go ahead and have it serviced anyway. I'm not really a "take it apart and install cotton balls inside" kind of guy, and I gig with this board, a lot and would rather have someone who really knows what they're doing disassemble it 😉

You know, it's kind of a drag though. It seems like this has occured often enough (as I say, personally I own two with the issue) that Casio might consider some kind of remedy. I remember having a Yamaha S90 that began to have keys that kind of "leaned" left and right after a while. Yamaha said it was a known issue and shipped me (out of warranty) a replacement keybed, free of charge, all I had to do was pay to have it installed, and it fixed the problem. Guess we would have to hit critical mass on the number of Px5s's with this particular problem for something like THAT to occur, but it sure would be nice to have it fixed once, and fixed right...... 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bob green said:

You know, it's kind of a drag though. It seems like this has occured often enough (as I say, personally I own two with the issue) that Casio might consider some kind of remedy. I remember having a Yamaha S90 that began to have keys that kind of "leaned" left and right after a while. Yamaha said it was a known issue and shipped me (out of warranty) a replacement keybed, free of charge, all I had to do was pay to have it installed, and it fixed the problem. Guess we would have to hit critical mass on the number of Px5s's with this particular problem for something like THAT to occur, but it sure would be nice to have it fixed once, and fixed right...... 

I would be happy if they just get the problem sorted for future PXs so I can feel confident that if I have to replace mine, the new one won't need to be opened up (voiding warranty) and preemptively cleaned of troublesome excess grease. Warranty service doesn't help when I need my keyboard every weekend!

Ivan

• Like 1

It happened on the Ab below middle C for me. Since the second strike is velocity 127 which I rarely if ever generate in my playing, I was able to work around the problem by setting maximum velocity to 126 in every zone which includes this key (in stage settings where I actually need this particular note). The second strike then disappears and the first strike sounds normally.

• Like 1

On 12/24/2019 at 12:08 PM, Redwave said:

It happened on the Ab below middle C for me. Since the second strike is velocity 127 which I rarely if ever generate in my playing, I was able to work around the problem by setting maximum velocity to 126 in every zone which includes this key (in stage settings where I actually need this particular note). The second strike then disappears and the first strike sounds normally.

Tried this and I'm happy to report it works a treat for solving this! I used my more, problematic, Px5s on last night's gig and this appears to have fixed the problem.....

On 12/24/2019 at 6:08 PM, Redwave said:

Hi,

I have a problem with my PX-5S where the high G (second g above middle C) always plays really loud, I then reduced the velocity range down 1 to 126 & then the note completely disappears & won’t sound at all.  Do you think it could be a software issue that needs fixing with a factory reset or a hardware issue whereby I need some to open it up & look inside? 
all the best,

GB.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 12/24/2019 at 1:08 PM, Redwave said:

Tried this and it worked on my Bb #6, which was sounding again after a hold on that key.  Thanks for posting

Edited by raymb1