Video Files on Forum ×

Ribbon Cable Damaged

dbecker22

While fixing a sticky key I damaged the ribbon cable that connects the keyboard the other electronics on my PX-5s. I'm trying find a replacement ribbon cable. My only option to order it that I have found is through a company in Taiwan. There is a long shipping delay plus I hesitate to give credit card info. Does anyone know another electronics distributor that carries this type of cable? The cable is marked TUNG HING E118147   AWM 2896 80C 30V VW-1.

IMG_0078 (1).JPG

Welcome to the world without Radio Shack and Allied Radio ! ! !

Have you tried ordering it from Casio under a Casio part number from the PX-5S Service Manual ?

About the only thing quicker would be to physically take it to a service center that stocks the correct parts.

- T -

Since this is a computer-style ribbon cable, I would check suppliers that stock computer parts. If you can Google as close a description as you can for this cable, it might turn up somewhere. I have just gotten a whole bunch of chinese parts to repair several tablet computers and the shipping was actually pretty quick, and the parts were not commonly available.  I Googled and found this description:

30-pin Forward Direction FFC FPC Ribbon Flat Cable 

And found it on....I'm not allowed to recommend a specific vendor....let's just say it starts with an A and has a Z in it. Was cheap too. Might need to specify exactly how long a cable you need. 

Found a whole bunch-"fast and free" shipping from at least one vendor who had what might be exactly what you need. Just pumped in your spec into the other big vendor search engine that starts with an "E" and found one that is 90mm length.  I can't post the exact link to the one I found-but PM me if you can't find it and I think I am allowed to do it that way. I do alot of computer repair, am used to having to search for these hard to find parts, although this one was pretty easy relatively speaking.

• 1 year later...

Copy and paste my exact description for this cable into e***y or A**n-you will find it, I just did. Might have to order from China, but I had to also. A good vendor should give you no problems shipping it to you. make sure you get the 30-pin, and that it is the right length.

Edited by Jokeyman123
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks,

got them from china today (theyre rated at 60v C) but perfect fit. only issue...no sounds whatsoever now when i press a key (i tried old semi damaged cabale and same issue)....no idea what the heck has happened....v much doubt i have damaged the pcb 30 pin slot,v simple to put ribbon cable in/take out...

Any ideas much appreciated....

Is it possible you have the cable flipped around? It will fit with contacts upside down. Metal contacts mus be facing down. other than that, all I can think of is a factory reset once the cable is in-and check if other cables could have been jarred out of position. Can you play phrases or get any sound of it through midi? Try another midi keyboard attached through midi if you have one, to see if it is only the key assembly giving you trouble.

Thanks for reply :)

y,i had thought that...i've tried the ribbon cable with all 4 possible connetions...only one way actually fits "naturally",so i guess this has to be the correct way...all variables of insertion result in the same though..ie,no sound....

i DID manage to get it playing for a few seconds this afternoon...i was putting pressure on the ribbon cable going into the keyboard bed ,trying nto push it in more..or,i'm not sure what...just try and get some kind of connection....i haven't managed since.

Only thing i can think of,is that i have somehow damaged the 30 pin plastic connection "thingy" just beneath the piano bed/keyboard....how the hell i have done this,i have no idea....it is v low voltage,and the ribbon cables themselves are so lightweight and,well "floppy" i can't for the life of me imagine how even incorrect removal/reinsertion into the 30 pin connector could have resulted in such damage...i think only 15 volts or so porbably pass bewteen the cable and the PCB (maybe less,i'm not sure)...there is no room in my limited knowledge for shorting/eletrically damaging the integrity of the 30 pin connection (let alone physically damaging it with something as flimsey as ribbon cable)....

You won't get any sound if the cable isn't fully seated. Make sure the cable locks are in the unlocked position on both ends before inserting the cable. From the picture you enclosed your original cable looks fine to my eyes unless it is damaged on the other end not showing.