Video Files on Forum ×

CTK-7200

HELVETIA

Can any one tell me how good or bad the CTK-7200 is ?

I was intended to buy  one but  I not saw any in  store here  .

but ended up with a  Ct-x 800  and  I like the sound but the  functionality   is to less for me so I might trade it in   .

I am an organ player so piano is not really what I need however it's nice to have .

• 1 month later...

how are the functions  ?   good or to less  ? easy to  change or not ?

sound quality ?   

Bought a ct-x 800   a while a go  like the sound but not  how you can change the controls also to less controls 

not really happy with it .

Actually, the CTK-7200, the CT-X3000, and the CT-X5000 have very similar functions.  The CT-X models have some new functions that the CTK did not have, but a few of the functions of the CTK were left off of the CT-X's.  In particular, on the CTK/WK-7XXX models, you could control how fast or slow the leslie simulator would speed up or slow down (how quickly it would change speeds).  This was left off the CT-X models, but the older models (CTK/WK) have the older sound engine that does not have the superior sound quality of the newer (CT-X) models.  The critical function that was included on the CT-X3000/5000, but left off the CT-X700/800, is the ability to control the layer and split sound volumes separate from the main sound's volume.

BUT . . . . You control the sounds on the new CT-X models similar to how you control the sounds of the CTK/WK models - mainly through the operating system's menus.  I gather, from your last statement, above, that you would prefer to control the sounds "on the fly" with dedicated buttons, knobs, and sliders on the keyboard's front panel.  Those types of keyboards are available from Casio's competitors, but they all sell in the range of $4,000 to $5,000 USD.  Buttons, knobs, and sliders, and the electronic circuits that support them come at a fairly high price.

• Thanks 1

Sorry, Brad!  The question about rotary rise and fall acceleration came up on another forum, when the CT-X3000/5000 first came out.  I had done an edit/find on "accel" with Adobe Reader on the CT-X3000/5000 manual, and it did not find anything.  I just did it again, and Reader found it.  I must have misspelled "accel" on that first try so many months ago.  My profound apologies to Casio.  Thanks for setting me straight.  I have corrected my post above.  This also makes me feel much better about the CT-X3000/5000.  The rotary rise/fall acceleration goes a long way toward making a Leslie simulator sound realistic.  I could not believe Casio would drop this, but the error is mine.  That is what I get for playing "non-owner expert' by making comments on a model that I do not own. 

- T -

• Thanks 1

HELVETIA

Since viewing Krechik's demo, I have been re-thinking your current situation on this, and may have a more realistic, but still not satisfying, answer for you.  Since you have stated that you are primarily an organ player, I think the controls that you probably miss the most are the sliders that double as organ drawbars.  Both the 61 key CTK-7200 and the 76 key WK-7600 have those, but I am not certain that you would be satisfied with the older CTK/WK sound engine.  I had a CTK-6000, CTK-7000, and WK-7500 for about 4 years.  These were the predecessors of the CTK-6200, CTK-7200, and WK-7600, but used the same sound engine, with which I was perfectly satisfied, but they did lack the "punch' of the new CT-X sound engine, especially for someone who has already had experience with and become used to it.  The ultimate answer for you would be a CT-X model with sliders/drawbars, but sadly, we are not there yet.  Personally, if I still had my CTK/WK models, I would stay with them for their drawbar features, but for you, I would certainly recommend not comitting to any trade or purchase without first being able to sit at a CTK-7200 and personally judge its sound characteristics, or at least insist on a liberal return policy, if you are dissatisfied.

Best of luck with you decision!

- T -

• Thanks 1

On 1/8/2020 at 4:11 AM, - T - said:

HELVETIA

Since viewing Krechik's demo, I have been re-thinking your current situation on this, and may have a more realistic, but still not satisfying, answer for you.  Since you have stated that you are primarily an organ player, I think the controls that you probably miss the most are the sliders that double as organ drawbars.  Both the 61 key CTK-7200 and the 76 key WK-7600 have those, but I am not certain that you would be satisfied with the older CTK/WK sound engine.  I had a CTK-6000, CTK-7000, and WK-7500 for about 4 years.  These were the predecessors of the CTK-6200, CTK-7200, and WK-7600, but used the same sound engine, with which I was perfectly satisfied, but they did lack the "punch' of the new CT-X sound engine, especially for someone who has already had experience with and become used to it.  The ultimate answer for you would be a CT-X model with sliders/drawbars, but sadly, we are not there yet.  Personally, if I still had my CTK/WK models, I would stay with them for their drawbar features, but for you, I would certainly recommend not comitting to any trade or purchase without first being able to sit at a CTK-7200 and personally judge its sound characteristics, or at least insist on a liberal return policy, if you are dissatisfied.

Best of luck with you decision!

- T -

Thanks for the advice  yes  looking for 1 to try out   !  :)

Nice demos. Even compared to the PX560 and several other brands of "pro" keys I've kept,  my CTK6200 sounds pretty impressive, several of the Hammond sounds on the PX560 are identical to the older CTK6200, but I like piano keys even for certain organ riffs (just me) and the big screen makes it easier to switch around-too bad no drawbars though. The XW-great drawbar setup, dedicated buttons for leslie speed and a couple of percussion settings, very nice. Despite some criticism re the built-in leslie effect on the XW, with the right sound system, it isn't bad IMO. and it is programmable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Jokeyman123 said:

Nice demos. Even compared to the PX560 and several other brands of "pro" keys I've kept,  my CTK6200 sounds pretty impressive, several of the Hammond sounds on the PX560 are identical to the older CTK6200, but I like piano keys even for certain organ riffs (just me) and the big screen makes it easier to switch around-too bad no drawbars though. The XW-great drawbar setup, dedicated buttons for leslie speed and a couple of percussion settings, very nice. Despite some criticism re the built-in leslie effect on the XW, with the right sound system, it isn't bad IMO. and it is programmable.

I owned   a Hammond   L-100 ,P-1000 , H-100  ,M-3  ,  ( B-200 ,CX-2000 digital)  all with Leslie cabinets   and rented a B-3  a couple of times in the past .

for my feeling the block keys are feeling a bit stiff with playing  on the tone wheel organs  .

In this times we all wanting keyboards with many different sounds and futures . if my younger time  we did not have this only pure organ sound with

drawbars , vib/chorus   ,delay switch (spring)  ,percussion switches  ,volume  and leslie switch  nothing else  no nothing else  in the digital series much later we where getting more lol 

Also from all Hammonds I owned  only the  M_3  sounded like a B-3    ,,,, in our digital age  many keyboard/organs sounding like a Hammond  with much much more features but do they sounding like a real B-3 ?   just an Handful  expensive ones  does   the cheaper  ones sound like every other Hammond what not have to be bad ...maybe for puritans  ..but for the regular player what I became too it's not  a big deal and you pay much less money for  a great sounding keyboard/organ and way more portable as ever and loaded with futures  and sounds  Keep it up Caso ! :)

I too had played and lugged several Hammonds and various size Leslies-the 122 and 45s were pretty popular in the late 60s-early 70s. Still tough to beat that huge full sound. I've kept my old GRM Equinox because to my ears, this comes closest to that true gritty tonewheel sound and it has 8 drawbars, plus a selection of percussion settings, and a pretty amazing Leslie simulation. Smooth keys too, for glisses and fast runs. The "chicklet" keys on most other digitals are pretty rough for that style of playing-the PX560 keys although weighted-are a little smoother for glisses. Not as fast as a spring-controlled keybed, but still can do pretty rapid glisses repeatedly without ripping up my fingers.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...