Video Files on Forum ×

What is a "CASIO MIDI File"?

asulmer

Can anyone provide me with a little more information on the "CASIO MIDI File" format (.CMF) and how it differs from a standard MIDI file?  Are there any technical specifications available anywhere?  Are there any utilities available to edit or convert them for Mac/Windows?  I'm not seeing much either online or in the manuals.  I'm hoping I can find a way to convert a standard MIDI file to this format on my PC and select different instruments/effects of the keyboard (if that format allows it).

Thanks for any help!

I don't know how a CMF is different, but I found an app for converting SMF to CMF. It's seem pretty old based on the fact that Vista is the latest OS supported. lol But this might give you a clue what it's about.

https://music.casio.com/e/smf/

I'm just stabbing in the dark here, but maybe older Casio keyboards required this conversion to play an SMF. I'm guessing that the CMF conversion is not required with newer models, but they want to provide backward compatibility to longtime Casio users that have CMF files they still want to use. Just to remind you, I'm taking a leap here, so I could be totally wrong. I'm new to Casio having taken the plunge with my PX-S3000 in May. I've been using it on gigs a lot, and in my studio, but haven't yet done anything with MIDI files loaded into it.

I bet @Brad Saucier knows the secrets of CMF.

Rod, Thanks for the info!  I just recently purchased the PX-S3000 (and love it!) and I'm trying to learn more about how it handles files.  Yes, Brad has been VERY helpful.  I'm hoping he might have some more insight on this.  I'll check out the converter you shared and see if it converts to "CMF" or something different.

Thanks so much!

Is this the CMF format used for the onboard midi recorder?  I assumed it was using standard MIDI, but maybe that's where I'm confused.

My apologies, but I'm new to piano playing and keyboards in general, so this could be just my lack of knowledge in these areas.  I'd love to get some more technical specifications of the CMF format, or an example CMF file for the PX-S3000, if anyone ever runs across them.

Thanks!

Aaron

I'm not aware of any published technical details about the CMF format.  I misspoke in my post above.  The MIDI recorder on the PX-S3000 saves data as an MRF, which saves the system track information as I mentioned before. CMF is used for part channel, left and right handed information that works with Casio's learning system.  

Sorry to butt in..but....I just found something very interesting about the CMF Casio format, read this....

Casio Mobile Video Player

The Casio Mobile Video Player is designed to play .CMF files.  The CMF format is a MPEG video compression method and a special sound format that is Casio specific.  The Casio Media Player requires the user to convert movies on their desktop into CMF format and then copy the file to their device for playback.  The Casio Media Player is designed to work on the Casio E-100, E-105 and the E-115, E-125, EM-500 and the EG-800.  It is not compatible with any other Palm-size PC or Pocket PC.  Also, the Casio E-100. E-105, E-115, E-125 and EG-800 are able to capture photos and videos using the Casio Digital Camera CardWarner Brothers offers movie trailers in the Casio CMF format as well.  You can also find a variety of CMF Movies here as well.  There is a desktop video player and converter available here on CEWindows.NET.  If you have a Casio E-100 or E-105 you can get the video player here at CEWindows.NET.  

I found this info here....

https://www.pocketpcfaq.com/wce/video.htm

Now what intrigues me about this...I used to own several Casio pocket PCs, which were amazing computers in their day, before smartphones (wasn't a phone though) full color screens, alot of software support, beautifully made, very solid design, could play music and video, in color on a TFT screen.  I am wondering if anyone still has one (there are some on eBay although I haven't checked lately) if one of these might be able to play the Casio cmf files, since there is no software to do this on any computer I know of.   Just a thought. I am wondering if there are any user groups that are old Cassiopeia fans-might know more about these. Would be pretty cool to be able to play our CMF compositions on a pocket PC!  The E-125 I owned had the fastest processor in the series. I think I had an EM-500 too. Were alot of fun I recall.