Video Files on Forum ×

External speakers

MSS

I have a pair of powered Insignias-can be hard-wired or bluetooth, sound real nice, very affordable. Have a bluetooth remote too-can operate across a large room. I paid 35.00 US dollars for the pair new. Might not be up to a set of 200 dollar studio monitors but are plenty loud and clean sounding for my bigger loft area 24 x 20 foot room

Insignia NS-HBTSS116  

Insignia.jpg.90695d7bd07576268a779390843009fb.jpg

Which model keyboard will you be using? If it has good sounding internal speakers, you might get adequate results by augmenting it with a single powered speaker or small amp sitting on the floor. I have done this with my PX-S3000 for rehearsals. I turn it all the way up (doesn't distort) and dial in the desired amount of the external speaker to give it the low end that the internal speakers lack. 

• 1 month later...

I got a pair of PreSonus Eris E3.5.

I found that (in my room at least), external speakers are a must-have: my wife's first comment on hearing the built-in speakers was the the piano sounded like a toy. With the external speakers (and mandatory headphone plug to shut off the internal ones). It sounds way better.

I've tried a couple of configurations that work quite well,

I have a pair of iLoud micromonitors which sound pretty amazing for their size, (with the internal speakers off),  and they keep it within the portability realm for me, which is one of my main reasons for having this board. Barely not much more than the keyboard itself, and they pack in the carry bag too!

Secondly, I hooked up a small KRK subwoofer, with the internal speakers. Not intended for the road, but do-able. That gives me the low end, and some power, so the internals act as midrange/ tweeters and I retain the nice stereo sound field when in 3D.

I have used it with both, and no internals.....Sub and micromonitors, absolutely spectacular and powerful sound in a small footprint.😆

Chris

• Like 1

Just to add with my "using internal speakers and a single QSC cp8"...

one of the downsides of using a single speaker (not a sub) is that as you turn that speaker up, because you're summing the output to mono, you loose some of the niceties of the effects.

In particular the rotary effect doubles in speed (normally it would flip from one speaker to another but because you have only one, it sounds like the rotary is almost a tremelo).  This only happens when you turn the single speaker up to a point where it is louder than the internal speakers.....

Worth noting that if you give a mono feed to a PA this will happen too.....

The answer is as above, use a sub if that gives you enough welly coupled with the internal speakers, or use two external speakers (and a sub if necessary)......

If I do any louder gigs regularly, I'll buy another cp8 as they are a lovely, portable speaker, and they're flippin loud!

• 8 months later...

A little tricky-because there is a setting that rotates through auxiliary/bluetooth connections-I think there is a button on the one speaker that controls this- I use the remote control to switch-you can tell if it is in bluetooth mode-you will see the standard small blue light showing this on the one speaker-its small but its there-and there will be no sound even with the speakers connected to the auxiliary jacks-guess since these are powered and not designed to transmit bluetooth and through the RCA jacks at the same time. I never tried that, I'm using mine with the RCA connectors in the back of the speakers to the audio out of the PX-I'd have to look up to see what your audio outputs are in PX-these speakers will work directly wired from a headphone output-perhaps a little too distorted from there-or a line output if you have that, would be better. as far as bluetooth-since my keyboards do not have bluetooth transmitters-i bought a small inexpensive bluetooth audio audio transmitter that plugs into my PX outputs-the only problem there-for live playing i discovered-there is a delay and always will be-there is latency with a bluetooth audio connection I've discovered-but for playing back midi files, or your song recording or anything else-I use these as monitors connected to my digital decks. I'll look up the instructions again-there is an on/off switch through the volume control-but then you have to cycle through to switch from bluetooth receive to auxiliary. If its on bluetooth-you will hear no audio, even with all your wires connected properly. And these do work with my other bluetooth stuff no problem-tablets, phones-again there will be a slight audio delay-but this is what happens with all bluetooth audio connections. Seems kind of dumb that it's designed this way, but it is. I can use regular wireless (not bluetooth) transmitters/receivers and there is no such delay at all, weird. I will check my setup, see if I missed something-I have these connected now to my PX350 and Zoom 1266 deck with the rca connectors-if i don't keep the volume down, I can drown out everything else in the house, which can be a good thing!

• 3 weeks later...

I use the JBL EON One Compact. It's battery powered and will last about 10 hours. It's very loud, has four inputs and weighs about 16 lbs. I use the first input for vocals, the second for the Casio, the third for my Guitar and the fourth with the built in Bluetooth function to play backing tracks and music from my iPhone. 

Not sure what you budget is or how much power you need, but, this little thing is a very compact PA. And because the Casio is battery powered, I can take it anywhere. The beach, the woods, in the middle of a field or the back room of a club.

Good luck with your search.

IMG_4560.JPG

• 2 weeks later...