Video Files on Forum ×

PX-850 won’t turn on

HR99
Go to solution Solved by Brad Saucier,

Hey everyone, 

Seemingly out of nowhere, my Privia px-850 will not turn on when I press the power button. No lights or function. I checked the power cable for obvious damage (none) and the power source (outlet) seems to be working fine. 

Any suggestions for troubleshooting would be appreciated. 

The outlet might be OK, but how about the other end? Is this a barrel connector? These are notorious for breaking inside the molded plug. If you have a multimeter or some kind of DC voltage checker, check the connector going to the keyboard. Might look intact but I've had these fail on me. If this is the case, you could get a new adapter, or if you are handy, get the right size barrel connector replacement (hard to match though) and solder a new one on. I would also in that case, if you cut off the old barrel connector-check to see if DC voltage is coming through the cable that connects to the keyboard after you cut the barrel connector off if you go that way.

Some of these power supplies (think Roland) have fuses inside that can blow-I've had to repair 2 that blew fuses but the supplies were still good. I don't think the Casios do, but not sure. There are kits that sell an assortment of barrel plugs in several sizes, I have a few of these, just for repair or replacement. Looks like a new Casio supply will run 30.00 US dollars or so, might be worth repairing if that is the problem. and sometimes the switch will be slow to respond, for whatever reason. Try holding it in for more than you are supposed to, might just be an dirty or intermittent contact switch.

• Thanks 1

Quick update. I unplugged the transformer box from the cable that plugs into the wall and left it like that for most of the day. Then, on a whim after about 6 or 7 hours I plugged it back in and when I pressed the power button, one of the red LEDs flashed on for less than a second. And now it’s back to not turning on at all... weird. 

Another update. After remaining unplugged for about 24 hours, I plugged it back in and it turned on and I was able to play it for about a minute before it lost power while playing. Does that sound indicative of a power adapter issue?

Hard to say...without checking your DC voltage coming from the barrel plug end of your power supply. If you can't test this -if you don't have volt/multimeter-i have several-are very inexpensive for a simple one and come in handy for testing batteries and other things too-might be worth getting another Casio power adapter and check it that way. Could be in the keyboard, I couldn't tell without running these voltage tests. Does this have a factory restore or reset function?

• 1 year later...

Hi, I have a similar problem. My Casio PX750 isn’t turning on as well. I checked the electricity multiple times and if the adapter was plugged in but it doesn’t seem to work. I don’t understand why as I have played on it 2 days ago and now it won’t turn on. I have tried to reset it with videos I saw on internet but they are not useful. Could someone please help me with this problem? Thanks in advance!

7 hours ago, Helpneeded said:

Hi, I have a similar problem. My Casio PX750 isn’t turning on as well. I checked the electricity multiple times and if the adapter was plugged in but it doesn’t seem to work. I don’t understand why as I have played on it 2 days ago and now it won’t turn on. I have tried to reset it with videos I saw on internet but they are not useful. Could someone please help me with this problem? Thanks in advance!

Power supply is always the first suspect.  I would have that tested.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

We have a Casio Privia PX850 that doesn’t power on now either. I have checked the power supply and it is putting out 23 volts DC (the spec on the power supply says 24 volts DC so I don’t think it is the power supply. 

Does anyone know if there is a fuse inside the piano control box (where the dc power supply plugs in)?

• 6 months later...

Hi!

I have the same problem , the keyboard  px870 works randomly. sometimes works for days no problem , it turns on a off without issue but sometimes doesn’t want to turn on and I have to wait sometimes a whole day or even two and then magically it turns on again. Definitely a big bummer!

Casio should try to explain this situation please. 

Edited by Rikardo

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
2 minutes ago, Brad Saucier said:

If your piano is covered under warranty, many Privia models are covered for 3 years, you should contact your dealer for assistance in claiming warranty coverage, or contact Casio service for help.  

Mine is around 6 years old 😞

• 6 months later...

This seems to be a common problem, and should be addressed by Casio.

I have the same - won't turn on but there is power through the cord to the machine.

One day it just decided not to turn on.

Will Casio talk to anyone?  Probably a simple fix - unless the mother board is fried.

Someone asked whether there is a fuse within the piano, but I have not seen an answer.

CASIO - if you are out there, talk to us!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm facing the same issue with my PX750, suddenly won't turn on, some times the red light flashes, but nothing happens and it is completely blackedout, I brought a brand new adapter from another country (cuz Casio's adapters are like gems to find in the market), and it didn't work with the new adapter as well, CASIO PLEASE ASSIST, this is ridiculous. 

• Solution

Just to be clear, this is an independent user forum.  Casio is not able to respond to service requests here.  They have a service contact page as posted above.  Each region of the world has their own unique contact page.  You'll need to search the web for Casio support in your region.  

Casio support covers these under warranty for a period of time.  This is done by contacting your original Casio dealer first, and then Casio support if the dealer is not able to assist.  After warranty has expired, any qualified service tech can offer assistance and repairs.   

Unfortunately power issues are either a faulty power supply (the AC adapter or the outlet itself), or a fault in the instrument (buttons or circuits).  It's difficult to help diagnose and repair these things through a user forum.  If a DIY solution is desired, you'll need to know something about diagnostics and repairs.