Video Files on Forum ×

Syncing midi tracks to PX560 midi recorder

Jokeyman123

I am working on several tracks where i would like to use my live drum playing-Yamaha DTX digital drums, not acoustic-incorporated into other midi tracks recorded using the PX560 midi/song recorder. Can anyone here verify whether externally recorded midi tracks-with software or hardware-I can use the DTX brain or other hardware midi recorders to record full drum performances-be synchronized with the PX560 song recorder? I suppose I can experiment to find out myself. I am trying to manage getting entire midi performances into the PX560 song recorder with minimal outside equipment, but i cannot get a clear workflow as to how best to do this, as there are several possible scenarios.  I also would need to do this with external midi wind controllers, since the PX560 cannot record external midi sources directly through its own midi recorder. i can always record live with a combination of audio and midi recorders or a DAW that does both-but would like to keep it as simple and "in-house" to the PX560 as I can.

I guess simple stated-I would like to know if the PX560 song/midi recorder syncs to external midi sequencers/software. Thanks.

So the short answer is no-the PX560 midi recorder has to be used as a stand-alone recorder. That's a shame-going to make it harder to work with other midi'ed equipment. Be doing alot more live playing which is not so bad, but will have to rely more on audio recording, makes it a little more complicated. I just checked the midi implementation chart-clock in or out-no go. a shame, this is an important feature for connecting midi devices together-always has been. A definite disappointment to me anyway.

Thanks to chas and Ss....,I jut finished  part of a test suggested by Chas-to see how accurate the midi clocks are in various midi instruments compared to the PX560, and I am happy to report-so far-at least with my roland PMA-5-setting the tempos exactly together-to my amazement-both devices stayed exactly in time and I did this at a variety of tempos, with several different beats to be sure-and everything stayed in sync for over 64 measures, and sounded like it would stay that way. This solves the problem of syncing midi tracks done with other sequencers to the PX560, and maybe our other Casios although I've only tested this with the PX560 so far. I will test this out with my other midi recorders and see if it works there as well. and I had alot of instruments playing simultaneously, and nothing bogged down timing wise. Very nice!

• Like 1