Video Files on Forum ×

Do the Casio keyboards (particularly the CTX5000) work as a MIDI slave?

Andy K

I’ve got a question about this:

what I want to know is if I use one of these USB MIDI host’s with a CTX5000 to connect via traditional midi to my other outboard (JDXI, drum machine etc) will the onboard sequencer start when I press start on my MIDI master?  (JDXI) 

I cant see any midi sync settings in the CTX5000/3000 manual which makes me wonder??

cheers 

Andy

23 minutes ago, Andy K said:

I’ve got a question about this:

what I want to know is if I use one of these USB MIDI host’s with a CTX5000 to connect via traditional midi to my other outboard (JDXI, drum machine etc) will the onboard sequencer start when I press start on my MIDI master?  (JDXI) 

I cant see any midi sync settings in the CTX5000/3000 manual which makes me wonder??

cheers 

Andy

lucky i kept my old wk1800  with din midi and my yamaha reface YC  got both usb and din midi '...  with  din midi  in my opinion it is easier to use and not need to buy  other stuff for to make it work  again  ...now only my ct-x800 is standalone   .

2 hours ago, Brad Saucier said:

It will not.  The CT-X series does not have MIDI sync.  

Well that sucks! 
I’m wondering if there is a midi command to start the onboard sequencer? Then I suppose I could do some routing using a raspberry pi that receives a regular song start and then translates it into whatever the Casio could use???

Edit: just checked the midi implementation chart and it appears not... can’t believe it!

Edited by Andy K

Yes definitely, I’m very interested in what Casio are doing at the moment, I know the CTX series isn’t meant to be pro level but what is these days. The hardware market is very much alive and these CTX keyboards are amazing value for money if you are looking for a large library of sounds and a decent keyboard let alone all the other stuff they’ve crammed in there. 
Thats why I bought my 5000,  I was looking around for a decent second hand sound module to add to my live (computerless) rig and found I could pick up one of these bad boys for not much more, plus I’d rather invest in new technology and these keyboards with this Aix engine sound amazing.

No bother I’ll just control it from another hardware sequencer! With the raspberry pi in the middle to sort out any MIDI issues.

Ill probably make a video about all this on my YouTube channel.

• Like 1

On 2/15/2020 at 4:01 PM, Brad Saucier said:

The only current Casio product with MIDI sync is the PX-5S.  The XW synths are the only other recent models with sync.  

So I suppose that the MZ-X 500 doesn't work with an external master clock, because it is based on similar hardware of the 560.

I suppose that being a master or slave clock for these synths could be useful, because they have a multitrack sequencer built in. Having also a MIDI-DIN connection it's easy to connect another synth even in an home environment.

XW has it, and the PX560 doesn't? How weird-I checked the midi chart-the PX560 does not have midi clock in or out either. Would it be difficult to add this in firmware? For its Casio flagship model, I don't think this would be a stretch. And it would be very useful to me at least. I have quite a bit of other midi devices that I could sync to this-Yamaha QY modules, several other pro workstations- with hardware sequencers and of course software. Ah well. Maybe the future PX-570, but obviously not this year.  I wanted to be able to to so much more with the PX560-this eliminates quite a few scenarios for multi-midi stuff. I can always use other equipment to accomplish for example-recording midi from external controllers to other software or hardware sequencers and keyboards-but then if I want to incorporate separate tones or tracks from the PX560-and there are quite a few tones that I would definitely use-I can't sync these tracks. The XW might solve that problem-but why on those 2 (PX5s and XW-P1) and then not on the newer 560 and MZ-X? This makes no design sense. If the code was there in the operating systems for the others, why didn't Casio include it in the 560 and and MZ-X?

Keep making the suggestions guys and Casio might get the message.  ;)  But remember, no one can have everything in one keyboard and have it for nothing.  Purchase a PX-560 or MZ-X500 for what is is at the time, not for what you wish Casio would add in an update.  I get that people want or need to stretch their money and get more of what they want without spending more on another product, but someone has to give something somewhere to make things happen.  No matter your personal feelings on what should be standard features, not everyone always shares your feelings.  Casio will take suggestions and decide.  All we can do is voice what we want to see, and let them decide.  I don't think anyone should be taking an angry or disappointed stance in posts on this forum.  It's not fair to Casio, who has given us so much for so little money already.  Rant over.  :)

I think it's more of a wishful thinking about what should be put in future models or a Mark II version.

I agree that adding a softare feature means have to code it, test and debug it, and have maybe some memory and CPU cycle problems, not to mention having I/O like MIDI-DIN that means having more parts to put in the PCB.

On the other hand having more features means that people are willing to buy that product.

There are a lot of 61-key USB master keyboards, for instance that are used to control a DAW, having a Casiotone with great MIDI implementation will be a big nuisance to M-Audio and Novation.

You are right Brad-I'll stop whining. So instead-I seem to recall there is a way to sync midi devices that have no midi clock-many earlier midi devices did not have midi clock in/out., and software usually has trouble with this anyway.  I am researching and will post what I find. I think it can be done with an audible signal-such as metronome out audio signal. Older devices did this, analog synths used some other way of syncing I vaguely recall. I will start a new topic elsewhere about this.

On 2/16/2020 at 4:40 PM, Brad Saucier said:

Keep making the suggestions guys and Casio might get the message.  ;)  But remember, no one can have everything in one keyboard and have it for nothing.  Purchase a PX-560 or MZ-X500 for what is is at the time, not for what you wish Casio would add in an update.  I get that people want or need to stretch their money and get more of what they want without spending more on another product, but someone has to give something somewhere to make things happen.  No matter your personal feelings on what should be standard features, not everyone always shares your feelings.  Casio will take suggestions and decide.  All we can do is voice what we want to see, and let them decide.  I don't think anyone should be taking an angry or disappointed stance in posts on this forum.  It's not fair to Casio, who has given us so much for so little money already.  Rant over.  :)

With all the respect, PX-560 is within the price range where the sync functionality expected to be included. :pianny:

I am not saying it is not I have to double check it first.