Video Files on Forum ×

PX-850 making odd speaker noise for two keys

Jeannine

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We had the same issue. The Casio technician said the mainboard needs to be replaced and it costs around $400. :( Since it happens in PX-150, PX-350 and PX-850, I guess Casio chose a bad synthesizer board which is common and who knows what other models may have the same parts inside :

• 7 months later...

Are these under warranty?

Too bad these "cabineted" Casios are so difficult to disassemble because 2 different sounds-a clunking and buzzing, and 2 different places on the keyboard-i am no licensed Casio technician, take this the way you want. The buzzing sound-sampled sounds used for most of your tones-are "looped" samples-and if the sample gets "stuck" in one short segment of the sample, it will sound like this buzzy sound. I know this from experience using sample-based keyboards, creating my own samples to span across a keyboard on several different samplers over the years-Korg, Roland and software-based.

The clunking-very odd-sounds like it could be the part of the piano sample to recreate either the attack, or even the AIR effect that creates the pedal release sound-but greatly amplified. Check your damper pedal, maybe a simple dirty connection somewhere in the pedal, the pedal jack or the pedal itself.

Not to contradict the Casio techs, but if there were a consistent issue with the mainboards-it would duplicate the same sound error, and in the same spot on the keymap-the same keys would be causing the same problematic sample loop defective sound. I would try the compressed air in/around/under the suspect keys for that defect-if the sensors under the keys are partially collapsed or dirty-this is a possible source of the distorted sound, as the rubber/carbon contacts might be making partial contact even upon release, or not making full contact and causing your tone to be triggering at only one point in the sample. if I were to cut a very short segment of any sample with a software sample editor (or keyboard editor) that you would normally recognize as an instrument or synth tone and play it, this is what it would sound like.

The thumping-all across or partially across the keys-mainboard could have a defect, or it could simply be a loose cable inside. If a tech checked it out, I would hope they'd noticed any questionable connections and ruled that out as it would be a shame to spend for a new mainboard, and discover the problem is still there. if a keyboard factory reset does not clear this, i would think the tech is right, might need a new mainboard. I have not experienced any defect like this on either my PX350, 560 or any of the CDP hammer-weighted keyboards for at least 4-5 years, i doubt there is a major defective run of mainboards. If there were, this would be showing up in hundreds of Casios, maybe more. We'd certainly be hearing it here.