Video Files on Forum ×

wk-3200 software

steve747

Hello. I couldn't find the specific issue so I hope someone can assist. I plugged a midi in/out cable to my wk-3200 and to my win 10 laptop via usb. It was detected in device manager as a usb audio device. The manual is hard to understand. Does anyone know the steps to transfer midi files from laptop to keyboard? Thanks

Hello. I just connect via a midi in/out cable and usb to laptop. It just shows in device manager as a usb audio device but it doesn't show up at all in my computer as a detected device. I went to the casio music website and downloaded 6 bin files and an application file called WK3-30.exe but my laptop wouldn't open them. It seems the further I go into this to simply want to play midi files from laptop to keyboard it creates more issues. Thanks

Steve

Sorry to be so late getting in on this, but I have been away from my studio for a bit, and just returned last evening.

Before you invest $30 to $40 (USD) in another USB-MIDI Adapter cable, there are several things you need to know about the road you are headed down.  First, many of the early USB-MIDI devices, for some unexplained reason,  identified themselves to the Windows Device Manager as some type of audio device, when in fact, they were not, and worked perfectly fine as the USB-MIDI devices they were supposed to be.  This was particularly true of Yamaha devices.  I had two Yamaha keyboards, which, when I connected their USB-MIDI "TO HOST" ports to any of my computers, identified themselves to Device Manager as "Yamaha audio" devices.  The same with my early Yamaha USB-MIDI Adapter cable, similar to the one you currently have.  It works fine, but will always identify itself to Device Manager as a "Yamaha audio" device.  The point here is that there may be nothing wrong with the cable you already have, and we can always come back to this, and you can order a replacement, if necessary, but in the meantime, there are much more serious problems that you are going to run in to.

The Casio file transfer software, you refer to, covers many years and many keyboard models. For older models there was/is the Internet Date Expansion System (IDES) software.  There were four versions, but later versions were NOT "updates" to earlier versions, but rather, were written for specific later models, and would not work with the earlier models.  Each "version" would only work with its own specific series of models.  The same applies to the Data Manager 5 and Data Manager 6.1 software for current models.  Data Manager 6.1 is NOT an "update" or "upgrade" to Data Manager 5.  Each "version" is written for its own specific series of models, with no cross compatibility between the two, and certainly, neither will work with any of the older models that are covered by the IDES software.  The WK-3200 requires IDES-3 software for data transfer between the keyboard and a Windows based computer (MAC-OS is not supported).  This is very old software, and is NOT compatible with Windows-10.  In your case, you have two options for transferring data to the WK-3200: obtain a computer with a Windows-7 or older operating system, or obtain a Smart Media Card (NOT an SD Card) and reader/writer, from any of several online sources, and transfer files by porting the Card between the computer and the WK-3200.

In the meantime, you can "play" MIDI files from your computer to the WK-3200, with some type of MIDI player software, using the WK-3200 as a "sound module".  I would recommend Anvil Studio, because it is a full featured DAW program (for future use) with a fairly easy learning curve, and is available as a free download.  Once loaded, you would need to go into its MIDI set up and "select" your "USB Audio" cable as the MIDI device you want it to use.  Then, if you are still having problems, you might want to consider ordering a replacement cable.

Best of luck!

- T -

Here is a link to the IDES software compatible with the WK-3200.   https://music.casio.com/e/data_ex3/before.html

I installed it with no troubles on Windows 10.  Once you get your adapter to work properly as a MIDI device, it should work out for you.  Just be sure to select the name of your MIDI adapter as input and output in the preferences menu.  See my screenshot.  I can't test if it will transfer files properly, since I don't have a compatible Casio model, but it seems to run fine up to that point.  

Screenshot (26).png

• Like 1

Sorry, Brad, and thanks for the correction.  I am with Windows-10 like you are with the WK-3200.  You do not have a WK-3200 to experiment with, and I am the same with Windows-10.  My very first Windows-10 device is laying here beside me - still in the box.  I just picked it up about an hour ago, so until now, I have had to take Casio at their word on their compatibility statements:

https://support.casio.com/en/support/osdevicePage.php?cid=008001002

but . . . my bad . . . I should have known better . . . Casio has claimed for years that their non-Class Compliant driver for the WK-3800 will not work with Windows Vista 64 bit, and I have had it working fine over all those same years.  I am certain that if IDES-3 is working that far in Windows-10, that It will work 100%.

Now . . . back to the subject at hand:

STEVE:

You can check your cable, and stop all the second guessing,  in a matter of minutes by doing what both Joe Muscara and I suggested in your other thread on this matter, that to my knowledge, you have yet to do: just download and install the MIDI-OX diagnostics program. Connect the WK-3200 to your computer via your adapter cable.  In MIDI-OX, go into Options > MIDI Devices and select your adapter cable as the MIDI Input Device.  Play some notes on the keyboard, and if you see Note-On/Note-Off messages coming into MIDI-OX from the WK-3200, then you know your cable is working fine.  Any further problems will most likely be software setup problems not the Adapter cable nor the keyboard.

MIDI-OX is a free download from:

http://www.midiox.com/

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, - T - said:

Casio has claimed for years that their non-Class Compliant driver for the WK-3800 will not work with Windows Vista 64 bit, and I have had it working fine over all those same years

It's more to do with Windows itself being such a friendly operating system in terms of backwards compatibility.  Windows 10 is able to run some really old software without issues.  Casio doesn't update the older software for each new Windows version that comes out, so it's really up to us to sort out if the current Windows version can still run it.  

Hello guys. Thanks for all the help. I downloaded midi ox and I don't know if it worked or not. I saw the midi input, anyway I'm including a couple of screenshots, after pushing the keyboard keys I don't know if midi ox is detecting anything. I also downloaded the casio WK3-30.exe file and it didn't work either, see screenshot

error.png

midiox.png

Steve

I can tell from the error message that you are getting that you are trying to run the WK3-30-c.exe file, which was intended for old slow dial-up connections with limited bandwidth.  It should work for you here, but obviously it is not finding the bin files that it needs to concatenate into the complete exe file.  There is a much better way, so for now, just delete any IDES-3 stuff you have downloaded so far.  We want to start with a clean slate.  Go back to that Casio website that Brad gave you, and go back up a few lines from where you have been downloading.  Download that  7.94 Mb Application + Windows Installer file under Batch Downloading the Application.  That is everything you need, in a single file, but it is only an installer file.  When you run it, it just installs the IDES-3 program, it does not run the IDES-3 program.  You have to do that separately, yourself, just like any other installed program, but the installer does not give you a desktop icon, so you will need to go into:

C:\Program Files (x86)\CASIO\WK-3700\Data Manager

and right click on the Data Manager application and tell it to create a shortcut on the desktop.  Then you can rename that and move it to wherever you want.

Oh!  After you download the IDES-3 application, go up another line or two and grab the manual as well.  You will certainly need that too.  I just did all of this on my new Win-10 laptop, and it all worked just fine.

I also see that MIDI-OX is seeing your Adapter cable. With MIDI-OX running, in that bar of icons across the top, click on the 4th icon from the left, and when you strike a key on the WK-3200, you should see note-on/note-off messages, but you may also see continuously scrolling timing clock messages,  Either one of these tells you that your adapter cable is connected and working fine.  Just to be sure, click on the 6th icon from the left, the green one that looks like you are looking into the business end of a 5-pin-DIN MIDI connector.  On that screen, you should see a red flashing indication on one of the 16 channels (probably channel 1) whenever you strike a key on the keyboard.  Whenever you want to use ANY software program with that USB-MIDI Adapter, you will need to go into that program's MIDI setup and tell it to select the Adapter as its MIDI Input and/or Output.

Good luck!

- T -

• Like 1

Hello again guys. I'm no computer expert and I'm having no luck with the midi files to keyboard issue. I tried midi ox and data manager. I clicked on the green adapter and there were no flashing red lights. I downloaded the casio .exe file as well. Here are a couple of screenshots

Screenshot 2020-05-18 13.58.46.png

Screenshot 2020-05-18 14.08.41.png

Steve

When you were on the MIDI-OX screen where you should have seen the red flashing lights, did you press any keys on the keyboard?  You only see the red flashing lights as you press keys.  The 5 pin MIDI connectors on those adapters are supposed to be labeled such that the MIDI IN of the adapter connects to MIDI OUT of the keyboard and MIDI OUT of the adapter conects to MIDI IN of the keyboard - that is - an input connects to an output, but some manufacturers get the labels swapped around.  If you are not getting any flashing red lights when you play the keys, try swapping the 5 pin connectors around.  They are opto-isolated, so you will not hurt anything doing this.  MIDI-OX is saying that it has connected with your adapter cable as its MIDI Input Device, so that side of the adapter appears to be working OK.  MIDI-OX will tell you with a pop-up warning, when it loads, that there is no input device.  Also, it would not show anything in the input device panel.  So, maybe the problem is on the other side of the adapter - with those 5 pin connectors.

Were you able to get the IDES-3 software installed?

I downloaded the IDES-3 software. I changed the in/out cables around and back again, no luck. They are marked in and out. I pushed the keyboard keys and there were no flashing red lights. I'll send another couple of screenshots. Hope it makes it easier. Thanks453608707_mididevice.thumb.png.daf288e8abf269129b074ecf2fb52ad7.png

input.png

Are these screen shots with the MIDI IN/OUT cables swapped?  You were not getting that "Can't find MIDI device" pop-up before, and the MIDI Device panel no longer shows the "USB A" device that was there before".  Did you test for red flashing lights before  you swapped the IN/OUT leads  or just after you swapped them? If just with them swapped, you need to test with them regular.  Something seems to have changed for the worse.

Uh-oh-hey gang....  I just read in Steve's post a description of his cable-a shiny clear plastic cable with metallic wires inside, something to that effect-it sounds like the notorious cheap  USB to midi din adapters that are all over the place-and have repeatedly given people headaches just like this one.

Steve, Brad suggested using another cable if you have one, good idea. And if this is a no-name brand,  it might be the type of cable that will seem to work-lights will flash, computer will see it (yes Windows labels these cables as an "audio" interface when they are anything but)-the Windows driver is strictly designed for midi data only- but in fact there is a major malfunction internally with many of these cables-can you post a picture. Is it this one? If it is, i think we've found the fly in the ointment.  Google "cheap usb midi adapter cable' and why you might be having such troubles.  I could be wrong, Ted mentioned a Yamaha midi adapter cable? If so, you still might need to install the Yamaha midi driver specific for that brand adapter cable in order for it to work. Unfortunately as you are finding out,  trial and error-but once you get the problem solved, you're done.  Usually, only the older Roland/Edirol/Korg/Yamaha midi to usb adapter cables needed their own drivers, not sure about with Windows 10. My Midisport USB to midi din needs its own driver to work with anything, apparently the Windows USB/midi driver for this particular usb/midi din adapter is not sufficient, and I'm not a programmer so I couldn't tell you why this is so, but it is.

midi din foobar.jpg

Thanks again guys. Yes, the cable shown above is identical to the one I'm using. I got it from a friend who said he got it off the net somewhere. I made sure the in/out was in the correct ports and still there were no flashing lights. I'm including another screenshot of the cables inserted correctly. I think I may need to go back to the beginning. If you plug a usb drive into your laptop it should show as a  E: or G: or whatever drive in your "my computer" window, meaning your computer has detected it and your good to go. My cable doesn't show up in my computer window which means the laptop isn't detecting it and I think no amount of midi ox or data manager is going to work if it's not detected. I contacted a couple of music stores in my area and I thought they may be able to plug the cable into a midi in/out instrument to test it. The thing is these stores don't have any devices to test the cable, it must be old technology but it's still fun to play along with the midis on the guitar

preference.png

Read this-and get another USB cable, save yourself an even bigger headache...I've had 3 of these-one was completely dead, the other 2 worked intermittently but my midi data connections were so poor, I cut them up and saved the parts for something else-maybe Christmas tree decorations, or a fake robot toy. 

http://www.arvydas.co.uk/2013/07/cheap-usb-midi-cable-some-self-assembly-may-be-required/

I may have to get another cable. Today I found a music store that had midi in/out instruments so I took my laptop and cable and he plugged it into a Kawai piano and same thing the midi files wouldn't play so it just may be the cable, but then he picked my brains to ask what exactly I'm trying to. I'm trying to play the midi files from the laptop to keyboard, utilising all the built in instruments on the keyboard such as strings, brass etc etc etc to play the files. He said that won't work. So, are the midi files on my laptop only meant to play through the keyboards speakers? Not utilising all the built in instruments. If this is the case then am I able to play the midi files by using a simple cable with a 3.5mm jack on one end and a 1/4 jack on the other which plugs into the keyboard headphone port or there is another at the back that says synthesiser?

I don't own the WK-3200-but every other Casio I've owned can connect to a computer with a usb/midi adapter cable  and play my computer's midi files using it's own internal soundcard/speakers-or using the internal sounds of the Casios (not yours-get a new cable, almost anything else will be better than that one-I'd bet my salary, if i had one that this is the problem!) I do this all the time.

After studying your manual, page 79 clearly describes this keyboard as being capable of receiving your midi data sent from the computer-directly to the WK3200. There is another way to do this, if you aren't aware of this. You need a 'smartmedia" card-look up on the web easy to buy one not alot of money-but you will need a smartmedia card reader (usb) to connect to your computer-then you can load your midi files onto the card with the reader, insert your card into the  WK3200 sm card slot and you can play those midi files directly from the card. but as i said above-this is not necessary-the WK will 'read' the midi file playing on your computer, and use its own sounds, depending on the GM sound table-if you don't know what that is, again google this and you will find everything you need to know about that, and the WK is a "GM" compatible keyboard so everything should work. Brad or "T" also very knowledgeable about these older WKs-very similar to my PX575 which I have kept as it does many things even some of the newer Casios cannot do. yes-this has the same mixer as the PX575 and synthesizer programming very cool older Casio ain't it? and I have a PX560 to compare it to. One more thing, especially after reading about your music store adventure....IT'S YOUR CABLE!!!!!

Hello again guys. Well I went and spent $30 for a brand new midi cable, identical to the one in the pic above, and it didn't work, now I have to see if I can get my money back. I tried midi ox and data manager and no red flashing lights when I pushed the keys. So it seems I can rule out the cable as the problem. I do have a smart card card and that's another issue as I'm trying to sort out the cable problem. I formated the smart card and put 2 midi files on it, popular tunes. Country roads and Sweet Caroline. The display on the keyboard read the 2 midis and when I went to play them I got err no data. I feel as if I'm going 2 steps forward and 1 back

Steve

Check the documentation that came with the new Adapter Cable to see if it is USB-MIDI Class Compliant.  If it is not, you will need to obtain and install the driver for it.  If it is Class Complaint, your computer should have told you it was installing the Class Compliant driver, when you first connected it.  I am concerned about this, because while most Windows 10 systems work fine with USB-MIDI, some have no end of problems with it.  So far, I have been assuming that yours is not one of the problem systems, as your original MIDI-OX screen shot showed that MIDI-OX had, in fact, connected to the original Adapter Cable as its MIDI Input Device as "USB A" . . . . .

. . . . . but . . . . .

now you have changed the Adapter Cable.  Did you go back into the MIDI-OX MIDI Device selection menu and select this new Adapter Cable as its MIDI Input Device?  These software programs will not detect your changes and make corrections on their own.  You have to tell them exactly what you want them to do.  If the new Adapter Cable is showing in the MIDI-OX MIDI Inputs panel, you need to left click on it to ensure that it is actually selected.  As I said previously, the red flashing light on that MIDI-OX screen will only be on ONE of the 16 channels (probably Channel 1, 2, 3, or 4), as you press the keys on the keyboard, they will not be all over the screen and one key press gets you one flash.

Also, if you have the Adapter Cable connected to a USB-3 port on your computer, change it to a USB-2 port.  These newer Adapter Cables should be able to work with USB-3 ports, but a lot of them won't.

On the cable package it says USB and class compliant for true plug and play. Supports windows XP, vista and Mac OS X. No drivers needed. My laptop isn't an expensive one and 1 usb port

is a bit iffy the other one works fine. I'm putting in another screenshot and you can usb A in the input and I tried various options in the lower window and no luck. AS for the smart card which I have it's another issue. Ideally it would seem easier to play the midi files off the card. So I formatted it and put only 2 midis on it. I saw the 2 files displayed on the screen and went to play them it said err no data, so I don't know where to go from here with the card. I'd rather sort the midi cable issue out first then address the card problem

midi devices.png