Video Files on Forum ×

Maximum size on USB Drive?

CharlieWorton

Thanks for getting back to me!  I appreciate it.  Sadly, I ordered a 128 GB USB drive from Amazon, and they were unable to cancel the order in time; so, it's going to arrive.  I guess I'll try it, and see if it works.  If not, I've got a 16GB drive sitting around... somewhere... that will probably work.  Sigh. Ah, well!  >Charlie

Well, the courier that Amazon hired to deliver my 128GB drive lost it.  Amazon has refunded my money, and I ordered a 32GB replacement drive... which Amazon claims that they will have to me within 3 or 4 days.  And my PX-560 won't be here for another week... Amazon is falling apart at the seams, as far as delivery and fulfillment is concerned.  With so many businesses failing, Amazon is suffering an embarrassment of riches; they have too much business.  I ordered an expression pedal, sold and shipped by Amazon; and the delivery date is - I kid you not - June 1 to June 30.  Sigh.  >Charlie

Some suppliers doing better than others. I am getting days delays on some items,  no delays on others-just ordered another thumb drive myself from an ebay vendor and it got here right on time in a few days. I guess it matters as far as who is sending it, where its coming from. 32GB can hold plenty, considering how small most PX560 files are-tones, hexlayers, song and midi files take up very little. Only the audio recorder will take a bit more-the wav files have been around 10-30MB for full arrangements I've recorded to the thumb drive, depending on length of composition mainly. Thanks for the nice comments re Telstar. My dad had a commendation from NASA and the Air Force for his work during the earliest computer and design work for the Mercury capsule, and later work on the Apollo program-he was a design draftsman, and mathematical genius-hard man to live up to, but he was pivotal in encouraging my early music-got my first private teacher, let me play my first gigs before i should have, I was only 16. I could not keep up with his math skills, but that had everything to do with my fascination with computers and technology. I learned my first "basic" language commands from him-it was what the space program was first using to calculate 3-dimensional changes over time-how the size and shape of objects would change when moving through space-makes music seem easy! and why I loved these early tracks about space.  "Distant Early Warning-very nice-one of my favorite tracks from Rush, a bit prophetic if you listen to the lyrics "Chemistry" and "Countdown" still gives me goosebumps thinking of those first space launches. Still sad Neil Peart is gone, innovative song writer and fine drummer.. 

I also use the PX560 to play my mp3s through its audio in-very nice sound system.

Distant Early Warning.mp3 Chemistry.mp3 08_Countdown.mp3

Charlie-some things to check out when you get your PX560

1) Tones and hex layers-nice!!!!

2) Mixer-same, alot of power here

3) The touchscreen-is fantastic-I can whirl around settings on this like nothing I've ever used

4) Weight-hard to believe something this lightweight can be so powerful

5) Acoustic pianos-as I said in an earlier post-I A-B'd every digital piano currently on the market-Yamaha, Korg, Kawai, Kurzweil, Nord, Roland all the majors-and the Casio-at half the price of most of these-stands up very well-I could hear almost no difference even with the highest-end digitals. 1-2  of the Casio acostics may sound a little "soft" compared to others-but this is only due to the DSP effect applied to those-the raw samples are fantastic-I have a few piano tones in the upload PX560 user section-the "early reflections" DSP really seems to bring out the life of these acoustic pianos-as it does with quite a few of the other PX560 tones-which I stumbled across just experimenting with DSP. I also uploaded a few "silly" sound effects to show what this can do when programmed, alot of programming power in there-closest to my old Generalmusic workstations which were way ahead of their time.

A few other things to check from shipper-make sure the control knobs have not been damaged in transit-these are a little susceptible to damage if hit hard from above.

I would also check to see which firmware version it comes with. If you hadn't come across my older but recent post-there is a peculiar bug (the only one I've found and I've looked!) in any version earlier than 1.16 in which any edits to certain drum tones in a kit will cause a weird effect when used in recordings with the song recorder. You wouldn't notice playing the edited drumkits live, but when used in a recording, this bug shows up. Version 1.16 upgrade solved the problem-neatly fixed once Casio observed (with Mike's help) and direct from Japan, very nice heads up on their part. 

Be patient, it will be worth the wait, IMO! and you will even have CZ waves to play with I think that's right or am I thinking the XW-P1? I forget...will have to check.

Hey, Jokeyman!  I'm trying to be patient, but doing a rather poor job of it, I'm afraid.  While i wait for my PX-560 to arrive, I'm doing a complete revamp of my music area.  My electronics workbench and 3D printer are going downstairs to the work room, my WK-7600 is moving from my desk to a floor stand, my electronics equipment - oscilloscope, signal generator, multimeter, soldering workstation, power supply - is going where the WK-7600 was, and my Kurzweil, Yamaha and soon-to-be PX-560 are going to floor stands beside the WK-7600.  Somewhere in that cluster of keyboards there will be a 4 input amplifier, my 2 JR149 speakers and the 10" polk sub-woofer.  AND I have to do a small electronics repair of the Yamaha, and move a TV from the work room to my exercise room, and finish a computer build for a friend... just a whole pile of work.  The trouble with sheltering in place is you get soft, and when you go to actually do stuff, your physique revolts.  And take it from me: my physique is definitely revolting.

Here's a transcript from a conversation I had with Amazon about my MIA PX-560:

========================================================================

Initial Question: Order # XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX due in 2 days has not shipped yet

12:20 AM PDT Gaurav(Amazon): Hello, my name is Gaurav. I'm here to help you today.
12:21 AM PDT Gaurav: I am sorry to hear that the item has nit shipped yet.
I will right away check this for you.
12:24 AM PDT Gaurav: Thank you for waiting.
12:25 AM PDT Gaurav: I have checked and see that this item will be shipped until tomorrow and it be delivered on Tuesday, June 2, 2020
12:26 AM PDT charlie worton: Will the item be shipped on Sunday, or Monday?
12:26 AM PDT Gaurav: It will ship on Sunday
12:27 AM PDT charlie worton: OK. Can you tell me where it is shipping from?
12:28 AM PDT Gaurav: It will be shipping from Canada only but the complete details are not given yet
12:29 AM PDT charlie worton: OK. It seems to me that something is wrong with the order. I say this because most Amazon products ship a day or two after being ordered, but I ordered this product a week ago. It seems that something is wrong.
12:30 AM PDT Gaurav: I can see that the item is delay due to the backlogs of the orders
12:31 AM PDT charlie worton: But you are confident that, even with the backlog, the order will be delivered on Tuesday?
12:31 AM PDT Gaurav: Yes I have confirmed it with our team.
12:32 AM PDT charlie worton: OK. Thank you for your time. I appreciate your efforts.
12:32 AM PDT Gaurav: You're most welcome. Is there anything else I can help you with today?

12:32 AM PDT charlie worton: No, thank you. I will just wait, and hope that everything works out.
12:32 AM PDT Gaurav: It was a pleasure to assist you with this. Thank you for contacting Amazon.

We hope to see you again.

==============================================

Well, I don't have any particular confidence that they will deliver the keyboard on Tuesday.  But, we will see, I suppose.  If they're shipping from a local or near-local warehouse, it could happen.  But if they're shipping from Toronto - 2,000 miles from Edmonton - I won't see the keyboard this week.

What frustrates me, is that I have no choice.  Amazon is the only source for this keyboard in all of Canada (with the exception of Cosmo Music, who charge $60 for delivery).  Well, I guess that constitutes a choice.  Not a good one, but a choice.

Ah, well.  Gonna go move a TV...  >Charlie