Video Files on Forum ×

How many tones on PX-560?

CharlieWorton

Casio is correct-650 preset, 400 user. here's the manual and the appendix. Amazon must be a misprint. I haven't counted to check-but so far as a I have seen, all the sounds and user slots listed in the appendix are there. So there is a potential for a total of over 1000 tones for all categories- single tones, hex layers and drumkits. I've only seen this large a soundbank in my old Equinox but I don't have any other new workstations like the Montage, Fantom etc. to compare.  One other "quirk I just went over as far as sounds-to keep in mind once you get yours-if you end up uploading tones or hex layers from the forum in the user files section-there is a detail not covered in the manual. 

Once you save the tones in your thumb drive-hex layers are labeled  .zlt and single tones are labelled .ztn, drums .zdr.  This is significant because unless you select a tone from the main menu screen (upper one) for each category-only the tones in that category will show up on  the "media" screen for installing from the thumb drive. In other words-if you have a hex layer tone selected in your main menu-only the hex layer tones you've saved t your thumb drive will appear in the "media-load" menu, and same for single tones. Similar concept to other keyboards such as my SY77 which designates a "multi" saved or loaded as entirely different from a sound. the Equinox does this as well.The PX560 simply has a different way of showing these on its touchscreen when loading from the thumb drive.

PX-560 manual.pdf PX560 append.pdf

The confusion is because hex-layers are sometimes counted separately. It's 550 "common" tones + 100 hex-layers. The manual even divides those 550 tones into 532 melody tones and 18 drum sets. Then you have user slots for: 280 melody tones, 100 hex-layers and 20 drum sets. It's worth mentioning that the user tones are not new wave sounds but existing ones with different settings (which can give you quite a different sound though). The most interesting user slots are undoubtedly the hex-layer ones.

The Amazon specs seem to be taken from this page, which somehow only mentions 550 tones:

https://www.casio.com/products/electronic-musical-instruments/privia/px-560

This one is more accurate:

https://www.casio-intl.com/asia/en/emi/products/px560m/

• 1 month later...
On 6/5/2020 at 3:03 AM, CharlieWorton said:

Are hex layers composed of the 550 'common' tones?

No. They are composed of waves. Though the "common tones" also draw upon the same set of waves.

Download the appendix manual for the PX560. The 790 waves are listed starting on page 19.

The PX560 lets you split/layer 4 "complete" sounds, whethere they are "common tones" or hexlayers. Each hexlayer, itself, lets you split/layer up to 6 waves, which are the basic building blocks that underly both the hexlayers and the common tones.

• Like 2

Right Scott-a few more tricks, I've posted here over the past year or so. Up to 4-yes 4 hex layers can be used in a 17-track recording-guess that's why it's nice to have 256-note polyphony!  And there is a much greater depth of features for editing tones within a hex-layer (for each individual tone in the hex layer) versus a single tone. One example stands out-when editing a single tone-you must start with default wavfile that created that tone and from within that category I recall-you do not have access to all 790 individual wavfiles in the 560 when editing single tone-found this out right away, no big deal. When you do the same thing within a hex-layer-you now have access to every single wavfile in the PX560-you can start from scratch-I guess this is why some of the best (IMO) ep and organ tones are in the hex layer category, and why Mike martin was able to  port some tones over from the PX5s. I've uploaded a multi-sample hex layer across the keys using a bass, vibes, mute trumpet, ep and sax in the user upload section-just for fun and to see how complex this puppy can get. Theoretically, i could have 4 separate compositions going with 4 separate hex layers  in 4 separate tracks using this simple instrumentation across the keys-in the same song recorder song-and still have the master track and 12 more tracks to record to-yes I'm fun at rehearsals-and i really need to get out more often....

:hitt:

22 hours ago, Jokeyman123 said:

you now have access to every single wavfile in the PX560

I think that's true except for the drum kits. For instance, I looked for a crash cymbal, but the closest one is the GM reverse cymbal near the end of the list.