Video Files on Forum ×

CDP-S100 External audio

Julian M.

Hello everyone! Fresh to the world of keys with 5 years of guitar and I had a quick question for everyone. I'd love to be able to buy all of the gear I need to accomplish simple tasks but food and rent is pretty important. I bought this keyboard because I wanted the best bang for my buck without sacrificing quality keys and portability to lug back and forth to the studio. I sort of had it in my head that I'd be able to run the keyboard through my guitar amplifier (solid state Orange crush 60W running into a pair of celestion alnico golds) but my initial attempt was not successful. I'm hoping it was because I accidentally grabbed the 1/8 to 1/4 adapter in Mono and not in stereo but I wanted to see if anyone else has done this before i start throwing things at it or potentially damaging my keyboard. The CDP-S100 only houses a headphone out which is not a huge issue as i can still run it through our PA at the studio but the PA my buddy has is not of the greatest quality and not really a fan of the tone in getting and the big boom bass even with the bass dialed down 12dB.

Thank you in advance and really hope someone has the answer I seek, if what I'm after is non existent I'm open to some decent budget friendly options for external audio interfaces! 

Yes, it's a stereo output, so you'll need an adaptor that splits it to two mono jacks, then just connect one of them to your Orange. You can actually make a passive adaptor for stereo with a couple of resistors but that may affect the tone, or an active one using an op amp but that needs a power source/battery and we're getting fiddly.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forums Julian!  Can you clarify what mean by unsuccessful when connecting to your guitar amp?  Is it the tone quality, or it's not working at all?  Keep in mind that a guitar amp will work great for getting a killer guitar tone, and maybe even some great synth lead tones from your CDP-S100, but it will be less than great for any of the acoustic tones.  In fact, it may sound horrible for any other sounds.  A good full range flat response monitor would be your best option. 

• Like 1

Definitely saving towards a stereo monitor setup but I was going to see if my guitar cab would suffice for the mean time, the speakers have a very wide frequency range and without added effects through my loop can be relatively bland so im hoping they'll cope. I'll be sure to pick up a split adapter and give that a go. Thank you both for the speedy responses, it's highly appreciated. 

• Thanks 1

Julian-the input "impedance" for a guitar amp is pretty much a mismatch for a stereo out from the keyboard, even with the right cable adapters. That might be why you do not like the sound quality. Your guitar pickups are putting out a relatively weak signal compared to the output signal from a keyboard especially the headphone jack which is putting out a pre-amped signal, unlike a line level signal. This means you will be overdriving the guitar amp, even more easily than with a guitar-which you've probably already discovered-it will be very loud without turning up the volume much-but the sound will easily distort. The other problem-guitar amps are almost always tuned to the frequency range of a guitar which has much less energy in the bass registers-and overdriving the amp with the keyboard will probably cut the high frequencies-will tend to sound muddy, even with the best of guitar amps. I use a powered mixer-that has line inputs, and always found this to be better when playing live too, since the signal matching is better, the fidelity for playing organ and piano tones is better. Strange that a guitar amp with top-range speakers wouldn't sound better-but again these amps are designed to maximize the guitar's frequency range, not a keyboard. If you play keyboard  primarily in the mid-range, you might not notice much of a difference, but anything further out than that, I don't think you will like what you hear.  Just my opinion. 

• 3 years later...
On 6/6/2020 at 7:37 PM, Julian M. said:

Hello everyone! Fresh to the world of keys with 5 years of guitar and I had a quick question for everyone. I'd love to be able to buy all of the gear I need to accomplish simple tasks but food and rent is pretty important. I bought this keyboard because I wanted the best bang for my buck without sacrificing quality keys and portability to lug back and forth to the studio. I sort of had it in my head that I'd be able to run the keyboard through my guitar amplifier (solid state Orange crush 60W running into a pair of celestion alnico golds) but my initial attempt was not successful. I'm hoping it was because I accidentally grabbed the 1/8 to 1/4 adapter in Mono and not in stereo but I wanted to see if anyone else has done this before i start throwing things at it or potentially damaging my keyboard. The CDP-S100 only houses a headphone out which is not a huge issue as i can still run it through our PA at the studio but the PA my buddy has is not of the greatest quality and not really a fan of the tone in getting and the big boom bass even with the bass dialed down 12dB.

Thank you in advance and really hope someone has the answer I seek, if what I'm after is non existent I'm open to some decent budget friendly options for external audio interfaces! 

I'm getting this too (monstrous bass regardless of eq-settings)  and not through a guitar amp but though an SSL six mixer and Genelec speakers, so there's something wrong. Haven't tried usb-audio yet but headphones seem to work fine. an inpedance problem? Have you found a solution yet?