Video Files on Forum ×

PX-S1000 Adapter or Cable

Abel 123

I was wondering if by any chance, how am I able to record my PX-S1000 into my laptop. I know that you are able to connect it a cable or some sort from the back of the piano, and able to plug it in into my laptop so I am able to record? What exactly cable would I need to get to connect my piano into my laptop? 

To record audio, you'd need an audio interface.  Something like this
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AudioBoxUSB96--presonus-audiobox-usb-96
- there are dozens of similar options like this:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Scarlet2i2G3--focusrite-scarlett-2i2-3rd-gen-usb-audio-interface

Then the PX-S1000 would connect to that interface using two 1/4" audio cables. 

• Like 2

To answer your question we need to know what type of USB jacks you have on both devices. The newest versions of the Scarlett devices are USB-C, but the earlier ones use USB-B. Most laptops out there have USB-A jacks, but some newer ones have USB-C. Tell us more about your gear or post some photos here of the USB connections on both units. Your Scarlett Solo might have come with the correct cable if you bought it new.

• Like 2

On 6/24/2020 at 7:34 AM, Rod Tompkins said:

Have you tried the the cable that's plugged into your Scarlett in this photo? It's likely USB-A on the other end which would work with the laptop in the other photo. 

My Scarlett Solo works with my laptop. What I am trying to do is find a certain cable that will work with my Piano, that is able to connect into my laptop or Scarlett to record.

1 hour ago, Abel 123 said:

My Scarlett Solo works with my laptop. What I am trying to do is find a certain cable that will work with my Piano, that is able to connect into my laptop or Scarlett to record.

OK, your second post above was about connecting your Scarlett to your computer, so I was answering that. @Mike Martin already answered what I think is your original question, but I'm going to try to respond with a little more detail and in 2 ways, one for Audio and one for MIDI. Let me know if I'm still missing the mark.

• To record AUDIO from your PX-S1000 to your computer, you'll need the Scarlett Solo in between them. Use an audio cable with 1/4-inch plugs on each end to connect the L/Mono jack on your PX to your INST jack on the front of the Solo. Unfortunately, the Scarlett Solo is not designed to record stereo sources, so you're limited to recording in mono. Technically, you could use the XLR mic input as the second channel, but you'd need a different cable. I'm not sure how well you'd capture an accurate stereo image that way, but it might be worth a try.

• To record MIDI data from the PX-S1000 keyboard to your laptop you don't need an audio interface, just a USB-A to USB-B cable. The flatter "A" plug goes into your laptop as usual. The more squared "B" plug goes into the USB jack on the PX-S1000. I can't tell for sure from your photo, but the USB plug in the back of your Solo looks to be USB-C. If I'm wrong, it must be USB-B, so you'll already have the correct cable for MIDI. If you're not sure, post a pic of the Solo's USB jack without the cable plugged into it.

The PX-S1000 does not transmit audio over USB, so you won't be able to record sound from your PX directly to the computer. You need your Solo or other audio interface to be the middleman. Let me know if that didn't answer your question completely.

image.png.01885132ea49a5b05e08973171b3276b.png

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Ok so this weird thing just started happening with my PX-S1000.

I've got it connected via USB, into a USB hub, which then goes into my MacBook Pro.

It's playing piano sound through my computer speakers (or whatever audio output I have selected in MacOS).  The piano sound is not effected by any controls on my PX-S1000... volume doesn't change anything, and the selection of Grand Piano vs Elec. Piano doesn't change the sound that's coming out. It's a mono, lo-fi piano sound and I can't get it to stop. I don't know how or when it started.  

Any thoughts or ideas? I've read through as much material as I could find, and I'm at a loss.

(Not sure if this would be meant to stop it, but I have tried the Function button + C6 on/off and no change).

There must be some app on your Mac that's producing the audio. AFAIK, a Mac doesn't play sounds on MIDI input without any MIDI/Audio app running. Is there an app you're using to play sound on the Mac, such as a DAW like GarageBand or Logic? Is something like Quicktime Player running (I don't know if that one would), or a notation app?

If I'm understanding you correctly, this isn't an issue of the PX-S1000 at all but something inside the Mac.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, steve_s said:

What is the rock bottom cheapest audio interface that will work :)

If you're using a computer, the integrated audio interface on the motherboard of your computer might be the most cost effective way to get started, especially if you already have an audio cable for it.  Many computers have at least a 3.5mm stereo line input jack.  

• 3 months later...
On 11/15/2022 at 10:09 AM, DubbulDee said:

Everything!  I didn't check Activity Monitor, but otherwise it appeared that only Finder was active at the time.

Ok this happened to me again today.

I don't recall having it open last time, but I must have; this time I can isolate it to the Forscore App. I went in to the app and can see it actually has settings for MIDI commands. I had no idea. Problem seemingly resolved!