Video Files on Forum ×

Rotary vs. Drive Rotary

Gartro

So, am I to understand that the difference between DSPs 16 + 17 (Rotary vs. Drive Rotary) is that the second can add overdrive distortion? I guess you could use both at the same time, which would be weird. 

Ideally, I would like to control the Rotary speed with the expression pedal, but I assume this is not possible and has to be done with a knob? 

What about using an assignable foot pedal (separate from the SP-34 which I have) just to engage a programmed gradual speed up or slow down of thew rotary?

Hi Gartro,

My understanding is that the PX-S3000 has a bunch of different effects processors (called "DSPs") inside.  I you can select any single one of them.  They are DSP presets 1 through 24, but you can't arbitrarily mix and match DSPs.  Instead, Casio has selected combinations of 2 to 4 DSPs that they feel most represent the needs of typical users.  Those are DSP presets 25 through 100.

If you look carefully, you will see that preset 17 is labeled "Drive Rotary" and preset 53 is also labeled "Drive Rotary".  Looking further in the manual (I'm not in front of my PX-S3000 right now), you will see that preset 17 adds "OD Gain" and "OD Level" parameters to the set of parameters for the rotary simulator.  Preset 53 uses a separate stage for the drive DSP followed by the rotary simulator DSP.  I'm not sure how the "OD Level" parameter compares to the "Type" parameter for the Drive DSP, but it probably gives you a slightly different sound.

I'm not sure how/if you can assign the rotary speed to the expression pedal.  I know that you can control it with one of the knobs, though.

Hope this helps.

--wpd

• Like 1

Thanks, Patrick, I will check out DSP 53 and see what the difference is.  You are correct about the fact that you can't mix and match unless they are in the same  preset chain, I had forgotten that.

Such an amazing instrument. It would benefit so much from a library editor!