Video Files on Forum ×

Dilemma - key size

CasioCTK

I am considering buying another keyboard - small Yamaha PSS-A50 - for occasional playing anywhere outdoors, just for my pleasure. But, it has smaller keys (minikeys) than my MZ-X300. And I am afraid this could cause problems for my fingers (or my head?) when switching from one size to another one. Has anybody personal experience with using keyboards with different key sizes? Thank you for any help.

I have a Korg microKontrol with mini keys, have had several mini-keys for desktop keyboards. definitely more awkward for my fingers-but for doing simple things-simple chord patterns, rhythms, bass lines, if your technique on full-size keys is already developed, you can adjust, but I wouldn't make a habit of it-because transitioning back to full-size is where you will notice the adjustment necessary to play properly.

A good compromise would be a 49-key controller with full-size keys-there aren't too many (if any) 37-key with full size keys.  I've owned a few 25-key controllers-many are very compact-the alesis was the best of the bunch-the rare A25 has both midi din and usb ports, the Q25 has only usb. But the range of keys was too limiting for me.  Again, if you are fleshing out parts for multi-track compositions, a mini-keyboard is fine IMO-why I have the microKontrol. But if you want to practice running scales, chord progressions-are concerned about technique-it could be awkward-more the width of the keys than the length are cumbersome for me with mini-keys. 

I decided to buy Stagg melodica as my first minikeyboard. It has just 1 tone, no rhythms, no display, but has „breath sensitive“ keys, small size, small weight and is cheap. Ideal for trying to switch between mini and standard keys. After some time I shall see if „mini“ is any good for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Yamaha Reface CP that I bought for travel and I haven't had a problem switching back and forth from the minikeys. My hands are in the smaller side and my fingers are fairly slender, so that may also be a factor. The Reface is useful, too, in that it has an aux in for your phone. I've used mine to practice along with recordings and lift chord progressions.