Video Files on Forum ×

My brand new CDP-S350 won't mount my flash drive!

fabiorzfreitas

I have a brand new CDP-S350 and it won't mount my flash drives. They're both SanDisk (bought from a trustable seller), one 64GB, one 8GB. For the 64GB, I tried both exFAT and FAT32 (formatted on Windows 10, quick mode), the 8GB one is FAT32.

Whenever I follow the procedure described on the userguide, it'll stuck forever on "Mounting..."

What can I do to fix that? (Right now, I'm formatting the 64GB with exFAT on normal format to try it out).

They're both SanDisk, which is probably the best flash drive manufacturer (as Kingston focuses on regular drives nowadays).

I did a full (not quick) format on my 8GB with no success, so far I have:

8GB/Quick/exFAT = Fail

8GB/Full/exFAT = Fail

8GB/Quick/FAT32 = Fail

8GB/Full/FAT32 = Fail

64GB/Quick/exFAT = Fail

64GB/Full/exFAT = Fail

64GB/Quick/FAT32 = Fail

64GB/Full/FAT32 = another 2h30min before it's formatted

4 minutes ago, Jokeyman123 said:

So the computers read these, just not the keyboard? Very odd....I have several brands, Sandisk Cruze primarily-no  problems with any Casios. 32GB, 16GB all work fine.

Mine are Cruzer Blade as well. Do you happen to use a CDP-S350?

Perhaps I should add that I'm in Brazil, but every menu is English etc, I bought the keyboard from a trusted seller as well.

And yes, they both work flawlessly with any computer!

1 hour ago, fabiorzfreitas said:

I can't, it has to mount before I can access that option.

Good point!  I would say that your problem is not the formatting. You should be able to mount the drive, and then format it, but you are not even getting that far.  You problem is the mount function.  It will not mount any drive you connect, regardless of its current format.  Try a factory reset (see right hand column of Page EN-9 of the manual).  If that does not resolve the problem, then you most likely have a defective flash drive socket or a firmware issue, and should return the board to the seller as defective.

54 minutes ago, - T - said:

Good point!  I would say that your problem is not the formatting. You should be able to mount the drive, and then format it, but you are not even getting that far.  You problem is the mount function.  It will not mount any drive you connect, regardless of its current format.  Try a factory reset (see right hand column of Page EN-9 of the manual).  If that does not resolve the problem, then you most likely have a defective flash drive socket or a firmware issue, and should return the board to the seller as defective.

I'll try the reset! And I'm guessing that for updating firmware I would also need the mount function, right?

Oh, boy, it'll be so sad to spend some days without the keyboard now that I'm getting decent at playing, haha

If you received a board with damaged firmware, you do not want to keep it.  Whatever damaged the firmware could have damaged other things - like the memory that holds the firmware program.

If ALL features of a new board do not work flawlessly, out of the box, it should be returned as defective.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's how it ended: I took it to an authorized technician and he found no problem whatsoever. Turns out that there's hard cap for size at 32GB and perhaps a soft limitation for anything over 4GB. Either that or my 8 GB is fake, I could only vouch for the 64GB one.

Anyways, SanDisk doesn't even sell 4GB flash drives anymore, so I purchased some off-brand 4GB drive and it now works!

Of course-most newer Casios have a 32GB limit for thumb drives, but no reason the 8GB shouldn't work-unless it is a counterfeit-there are many of these unfortunately-and even though the problem has been widespread, and for quite a few years (just Google counterfeit thumb drives, counterfeit SD cards) i have seen the same drives still being sold by various vendors-I know, i got stuck with several-but all were no-name brands but conterfeiters will even print fake labels to duplicate Sandisk, Kingston, etc. I have quite a few posts here about these, and software programs I needed to detect that these drives were in fact not what was claimed-not the right capacity-defective chips inside-and fraudulent firmware code to make the drive look bigger than it is. The counterfeiters get discarded memory chips-that are already marked defective-and put these in fancy-looking cases, alter the firmware, and these end up causing amazingly difficult problems-'ghost" files that seem like they're there, and they're not-faulty copy and paste functions-and can even crash a computer-and I'm sure a keyboard. One test program is simple labelled  h2testW-I'd post it here but its an executable Windows file-you can find this and a few others-I like to run tests on drives all the time, now that I've been burned.

Yes, I'm aware of that, there are specially a lot of counterfeit SanDisk drives. I can't vouch for it because I'm not the one who bought it, but I already have used this drive to successfully install Windows, which does require over 4GB of storage. Nevertheless, I'm running h2testW right now, I'll be posting the results once it's finished, thank you!