Video Files on Forum ×

Thinking about buying X3000, but having some issues/questions...

Just Alex

Hello from Republic of Georgia!

I almost decided to buy CT-X3000, but I'm so glad I found this forum, because I see some issues mentioned here, which might be my real headache, if I'll buy this keyboard. However, before making any decisions, I'd like to clarify my worries and ask more knowledgeable persons here. Since English is not my native language, some terms might appear to be used at wrong places, but I hope, you'll understand. So here we go.

1. Say I recorded some arrangement, using included or imported styles, sounds or whatsoever. Can I "render" it as .wav file and record to connected flash drive? 

2. Can I also export my arrangement as a standard midi file? (with no missing tracks, effect controls and so on)

3. Can I do step sequencing when recording drum tracks, like you do in drum machines? (There is 16 line sequence 'running" and you just insert proper drums at proper ticks)

4. Can I do loop recording (not style creation), say I played bass track, it is looped and keeps playing, then I add piano chords, they are also looped and keep playing together with bass and so on.

5. I see I can connect 2nd pedal, are all operations mappable to it? like sync start/stop, change voice to specific  or so on (this feature not so important)

6. I see some people earlier were complaining that with increase of polyphony there are glitches. Was this fixed in latest firmware or not?

7. Same for midi output. Currently I'm using PSR E-413 as a midi keyboard, and I've recorded 3-4 hours long sequence in Cakewalk Pro Audio 9, no drops, delays or glitches ever.

8. Are there instrument definition files for X3000, in .INS format? (Cakewalk/Sonar)

If X3000 is not good for above, what other Casio keyboard you recommend? I don't really care about quality of built-in sounds, sampling abilities or speaker power, because in the end, I will "render" the file on PC, using good quality samples and VSTs. What I'm looking is good arrangement creation features (not styles) like layer by layer recording, step sequencing and quantizing, multi track capability, ability to apply harmonization of predefined type to already recorded track at predefined measures (Say I have melody recorded with single finger piano, and at chorus, I want to add 2nd and 3rd voices automatically). 

Thanks in advance!

1. No. The CT-X series cannot record audio.  

2. Yes. The MIDI recorder can export up to 16 tracks as a standard MIDI file.  

3. The rhythm pattern sequencer does NOT allow step input.  The MIDI recorder does.

4. Live looping is not possible.  The rhythm pattern sequencer can be used as a loop recorder, although not live.

5. No.  Pedal 2 can be a switch type pedal or expression pedal.  Configured as expression, it performs CC11 expression only.  Configured as a switch type pedal, it can perform sustain, sostenuto, soft, rhythm/song start/stop, or registration advance.  

6 and 7. I've never experienced the reported glitches so I don't know.

8. Yes.  https://support.casio.com/en/support/download.php?cid=008&pid=2306

Auto harmonize cannot be applied to already recorded tracks. 

An alternate high end Casio model to the CT-X3000 is the MZ-X500.

Thanks a lot! I tried to download, but for ANYTHING I try to download from casio site (manuals, software, firmware), I'm getting this errror: 

Not Found

We're sorry. The page you tried was not found.

It is possible you typed the address incorrectly, or the page may no longer exist for new URL.
Enter a term in the search field on the header (the top of page), or go to either the Casio Home page or the Casio Site Map.

Please modify your favorite if you did it.

I don't Alex. I've owned and played over a dozen workstations, keyboards and 'beatboxes" (still have RM1X and MC-505). Yes there are workstations with step sequencing, looping but frustratingly-even a high end Roland, Korg or Yamaha may not have every feature you need-software DAWs may be the only way you will be able to do live looping, step sequencing and fully programmable expression pedal functions as well as audio recording to your DAW with the right audio interface into your computer. I've been pretty happy with the PX560. It has a looping function-but you are limited to the entire arrangement-all tracks at once, but I often set up a sort 8-16 measure multitrack to jam over the top of it. No step sequencer though.  You might want to look at one of the older "beatboxes" which can do alot of what you need to do, but do not have audio recorders like several of the Casios. You would need to invest in 1-2 beatboxes to get all this, AFAIK. Or 2 Casios-maybe the XW-G or P1 and something else. some of the highest end workstations do have complete hard disk recording, looping, step sequencing all in one, the Alesis Fusion comes to mind, or a Montage or Roland Fantom or Korg but now we are talking about 2000-3000 dollar workstations.

Yes, I have worked in the past with behemoths like Roland D50 or Kurzweill K2500S. Even ancient Ensoniq TS10+ had some features, which modern keyboards are lacking. I know about software DAWs, but I'd like to have portable, "hardware", instant-on and ready to use solution...

A local music instrument store has clearance sale on MZ-X300 and PSR S750, both are available for about $700. I'll try to do a quick visit to store and compare them both. As I can see, main difference between X300 and X500 is hexlayers (which I don't care), 256mb vs 128mb sample ram (which I don't care even more) and less pads (not sure how this can affect my performance)....