Recording using line out

r_1159

Hi everyone 

I usually connect my ctx3000 to laptop for recording my songs using line out. 

I am not good in sound recording but I understand it is normal that what you record via line out is different  from what you hear from keyboard speakers. But my results from recording are too different and I can say the Bass track is almost vanished on recorded song and quality of sounds are poor too. I have tried changing the equaliser on CTX but no major changes.

Can you please provide a good way to record songs or do you use any equipment for song recording ? 

2 hours ago, Brad Saucier said:

Have you disabled the internal speakers?  Which type of cable are you using, and which type of audio interface?

Hello Brad yes the speakers are disabled once the cable is plugged into line out. I use a handmade 3.5mm to 6.35mm Adapter Audio Cable and Audicity for recording. i connect the Keyboard directly to laptop mic jak 

On 9/19/2020 at 11:32 PM, Brad Saucier said:

It could be the mic input on the laptop is not suited for use with the line outputs of the CT-X, or you will need a different type of cable.  Line outs on the CT-X are expecting a TS unbalanced connection.  

what setup do you usually use for recording. can you uploaded one of the music that you recorded ? 

Thanks

Ahh, some "Moon Mullins" country riffs there Brad-nice! 

r_1159-can you upload a picture of your audio cable?  Has to be a 3-connector mini plug, not the 4-connector mini[pin plug which are used for headset mics and earphones combined. What laptop are you using? Most laptops should be fine as Brad has shown, it shouldn't be a problem to plug in a 1/8" stereo plug into most newer or even older laptops to record straight from your Casio-I've recorded straight to "Audacity"-which will save your recording as a standard Windows "wav" file, but Audacity can also save it as an mp3.  You have to set the recording level correctly from the Audacity software to get a good strong, clear recording-I will send some Audacity screenshots if you need that. There are other software programs that will give you an excellent quality recording with a laptop-Wavosaur is another recording program I use, and all the higher-end DAWs will record audio, but are much more complex if you are just starting out-Protools, Sonar, Reaper, etc. have way too many features if all you need to do is record straight from the CTX for a stereo audio recording into your laptop. Both Audacity and Wavosaur are free downloads and work quite well, are dedicated to recording audio, not midi and audio as many DAWs will do both. 

I am thinking that there is a stereo connection problem somewhere with the cable-so you might only be getting the one side of the stereo coming out of the CTX which would explain the lack of bass but it could still erroneously sum into mono-but with no bass response.  And of course whatever you are using to monitor what you are recording-any good stereo headsets with a 1/8" stereo plug will work, I usually use good headsets, not earbuds for this-unless you have a very high-end set of earbuds, will not capture the bass response these Casio puppies can put out.

• 1 month later...
On 9/21/2020 at 12:45 AM, Brad Saucier said:

I recorded this into the line input of my laptop.  I connected line out from the CT-X with a commercially made cable, TS standard plugs to TRS mini plug.   

Hello there!. I'm still waiting to get my ctx (still not sure of wich one*)but this thread on recording has catched my attention. So say I want to use my laptop for recording and it doesn't have a line in input. A basic audio in to usb will be enough? (Pic attached)

In the case of the CTX-3000, it is enough with a standard trs stereo cable from the keyboard to the line in, or do I need any "special" cable?. I still don't get the difference on "balanced" and "unbalanced". Thanks in advance.

On 9/19/2020 at 10:32 PM, Brad Saucier said:

It could be the mic input on the laptop is not suited for use with the line outputs of the CT-X, or you will need a different type of cable.  Line outs on the CT-X are expecting a TS unbalanced connection.  

IMG_20201110_131613.jpg

6 hours ago, Manu_G said:

In the case of the CTX-3000, it is enough with a standard trs stereo cable from the keyboard to the line in, or do I need any "special" cable?.

A stereo TRS cable from the CTX headphone jack to the line in (assuming it is also a stereo TRS jack) on the audio interface in the picture you shared should work fine 

• Like 1

On 11/10/2020 at 3:24 PM, Manu_G said:

Hello there!. I'm still waiting to get my ctx (still not sure of wich one*)but this thread on recording has catched my attention. So say I want to use my laptop for recording and it doesn't have a line in input. A basic audio in to usb will be enough? (Pic attached)

In the case of the CTX-3000, it is enough with a standard trs stereo cable from the keyboard to the line in, or do I need any "special" cable?. I still don't get the difference on "balanced" and "unbalanced". Thanks in advance.

IMG_20201110_131613.jpg

Hello Yes a basic line in to usb is enough and will do the work for you. Regarding cable please read Brad's post.