Video Files on Forum ×

'60s E. Piano 2 -- anyone familiar?

McMick

I have to give a note of high praise to the PX-5s and its electric / electronic / "E. Piano" sounds. I would be totally astounded if someone could show me a better sounding keyboard for such things at anywhere near the price. I used to own a 200a and I still own a Rhodes 73 stage piano. I just learned to play the Bloody Well Right intro more or less properly and I have to say, with the '60s E. Piano 2 sound and the right EQ this things sounds better than any of the covers I see  up on You Tube right now, with the likes of Korg, Yamaha, Roland, Kurzweil and Nord, and there are many, including one or two played on an actual 200a!

I would like to play around with changing a couple of things, though. Namely I'd like to give it a little bit more bell-like sound,  and the "bark" sound (which sounds like a separate sound that is only played when I strike the key hard enough, am I right about that?) to come in with a slightly lighter touch, and a bit less loudly above  the quieter key strikes. But I don't know how to do any of that. I'm not looking for a step-by-step guide or anything (I know how to navigate the controls and save a stage setting or tone, etc.) but could someone tell me at least the specific settings I need to play with to change these things, especially that last bit? Thanks in advance.

P.S. I uploaded an mp3 sample of my practice run (I hope that's OK, it's under 1MB). It's not perfect yet (I miss some harmonic notes in one spot and make a few slight mistakes) but I still think it sounds pretty awesome! I didn't use a metronome or play along with the song or anything, so it might not be 100 percent accurate on speed.

Bloody3bmono.mp3

Nice chops!  Agree re ep's on these Casios-I have the PX560-has the same sounds I think, and the 350 which is the less programmable PX5s. Spent many hours practicing on our school's roomful of Wurlitzer tine pianos, when these were new-in the early 70s we had these, really took a beating!. And played a few models of Fender "suitcase" Rhodes in early bands when these came out-and these Casio tones are excellent. My favorite-"Riders on the Storm" solo-forget which tone, but you'll have it on the 5s-scary how good this solo sounds on the PX's! I'd have to google to see what Manzarek played it on originally. I've had other keys that can come close to these Casio pianos-but its brilliant how lifelike the programming for these tones are.

Not necessarily what you're looking for-but for a ringing attack-a celeste or glock preset-with the tail sliced off-just the attack-might give you what you need. Even a vibraphone attack could blend in well. not sure how you do that on the PX5s, but I'm sure it's pretty easy.

• Like 1

@McMick  Have you gone through our downloads section and tried installing many of the EP sounds shared by Mike Martin and the user community?  I know some of them already have the bell assigned to a slider where you can adjust the level, and also ones with more bark.  Attaching some links...

https://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/files/category/26-electric-pianos-and-clavs/

https://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/files/category/14-electric-pianos-and-clavs/

• Like 2

On 9/21/2020 at 10:21 AM, Brad Saucier said:

@McMick  Have you gone through our downloads section and tried installing many of the EP sounds shared by Mike Martin and the user community?  I know some of them already have the bell assigned to a slider where you can adjust the level, and also ones with more bark.

If they are hexlayers, not only might you be able to control bell level with a slider, but you should also be able to change the velocity break point of where the bark kicks in. I don't know whether the editor allows you to make those kinds of sample-velocity-range changes to non hexlayer sounds. Maybe...?

• Like 1

Actually the Wurli Cruzr2 stage setting from Mike Martin worked a treat. It's really amazing how close you can get to the real thing! I guess I'll get into editing hex layers another day :) But thanks for the great replies, especially to  Brad for reminding me of stuff I should already know. And thanks to Mike for making my Tramp a little more Super!

Update: I just LOVE jamming to this stage setting! And the best part is, I don't have to worry about snapping any reeds! I'm playing this sound more than anything lately. It just makes everything sound awesome. Wurly EP sounds are some of the best keyboard sounds ever made for sure. I could kick myself for selling my 200a, but this goes a long way toward making up for that!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...