Rhythm Conversions

Just Alex

This weekend I did not so bad job:

1. Almost finished creating translation table for Yamaha E series sound presets to X3000/5000 presets. I mean, say for sound #141 on Yamaha, closest match on Casio, acoustically will be say #398.

2. Got that excel converter running with some results.

3. Dumped the best styles available from Yamaha PSR-E463

All what I need is a midi file, which will have labels set properly for all these intros/variations/etc, so it can be converted into casio style. I need it as a reference, to finish conversion of these styles.

Anyone?

• Thanks 1

I'd love to have some of the the jazz, the dance (EDM) and the Ballad styles 😎 for instance DreamDance, Chillout, OrganBallad, JazzClub but also from the E463 SkyPop, SweetPop, Happy8Beat, Shake8Beat... any of these would be awesome.

Well there are plenty of nice styles on the E413 as well. I loved DreamDance - it was one of my favorites on the E433, you can improvise trance music during hours on that one (if you choose the right tones of course).

I'd like to have CoolJazz because a long time ago I made a composition based on that style and I'd like to port it to the CT-X line.

I will now upload your first rhythm and try it out.

Maybe the uploaded file is corrupted? Just try to download it from the website and uploading it to your keyboard again to double-check. Or maybe someone else could try the file out on another CT-X5000 or 3000 and someone else on a CT-X800?

Here is far advanced one - This one has working intro, ending, fill ins and variation. This is best suited for soft 90s R & B ballads - like Boys 2 Men - "I'll make love to you", "End of the road" and so on. As I will get more into X5000, I will add more tracks and variations to it. But let me say, making styles on PC is far far simpler than on X5000, too pity we can't make full featured Casio styles on PC.

4boys4men.zip

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

It is quite funny thing - most Yamaha styles sound on Casio way better, than on Yamaha itself - AIX sound engine is great (except pianos and woodwinds/reeds) :D But there seems to be incompatibility with electronic/synth drumsets, patches are different I guess.  

@Just Alex you might want to look at the Drum Assignments for the CT-X3000/X5000 to help you remap these drum parts to get them sounding more close to the original E-series styles when played back on the CT-X. Sometimes Yamaha styles follow the expanded XG MIDI standard when the drum tracks are programmed, so they can be a bit wonky when making the jump to Casio drum tables (which usually follows the GM standard pretty closely).

Please share your voice conversion table in some form as you keep working on it. I’m sure it would be a good reference for folks who want to try out similar Yamaha conversion projects in the future.

A forum user also put out a version of the CT-X3000/5000 appendix in excel spreadsheet format. It’s much easier to search the document for keywords this way, it might help you with your conversion efforts.

• Thanks 1

I can post that list, once I scan and digitize it (it is handwritten :D ) but I see a problem that it is more like subject of taste - I mean, my sound mappings, as I hear them, might sound different to other folks (Like here are guys, saying X5000 has excellent grand piano, while for me, it sounds worse than $99 Yamaha E-2xx series keyboards) For the styles, I'll share some, but not all, once they're polished to pro sounding grade  :) Ones I've posted here are basic ones, with GM sounds being used, and not all tracks enabled - So I don't think they should be given that much attention :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Just Alex said:

I can post that list, once I scan and digitize it (it is handwritten :D ) but I see a problem that it is more like subject of taste - I mean, my sound mappings, as I hear them, might sound different to other folks (Like here are guys, saying X5000 has excellent grand piano, while for me, it sounds worse than $99 Yamaha E-2xx series keyboards) For the styles, I'll share some, but not all, once they're polished to pro sounding grade  :) Ones I've posted here are basic ones, with GM sounds being used, and not all tracks enabled - So I don't think they should be given that much attention :)

Hi @Just Alexinstead of using patch no 1 Stage Piano, try patch no 2 Grand Piano instead. It sounds more like the Yamaha patch. Also, you might try to tweak the reverb (on the CT-X800 the preset Church Reverb is very nice) and to adjust the EQ.

By the way, if the Live! Grand Piano of the new Yamaha PSR E373 is using the same sample as the Live! Grand Piano found on their DGX digital pianos, it’ll probably set a new standard for piano samples in enter level electronic keyboards, which is a good thing. The competition between Casio and Yamaha on this entry-level keyboards market will eventually benefit to us, the users.