Video Files on Forum ×

Rhythm Conversions

Just Alex

On 9/17/2020 at 4:12 AM, Just Alex said:

Ok today later I'll try to download it from here and then upload to keyboard....

Alex, I loaded the Run-a-way file to my usb stick in the 

Data folder and installed it on my CTX-5000. It worked perfectly and sounded great. Good job, my fellow musician. I will gladly try/or use any others that come close to the 50's-60's era. I had a lot of these type styles on my micro-arranger  but I sent it to my daughter for my little grand-daughter to use and have. So I only have the CTX 5K left and I am in awe with the sounds of the aix sound chip. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/16/2020 at 1:57 PM, vbdx66 said:

I downloaded your file and put it on an USB stick but my CT-X800 doesn't see it although it can read other rhythms which are stocked on the stick😳

Just a thought, did you install the style in the Data folder..or just on the stick? I put it in the data folder of my usb stick and loaded it into the CT-X5000. Worked and sounded fantastic!

RickyLee

Just Alex, are you from Indonesia/kamu dari Indonesia?

i know Cucak Rowo but not the song Inek.

That Indonesian style pack I posted has a style for Cucak Rowo.

I’m actually making a Minang and Batak style too for Sumatran music.
some songs it has styles for

Kucing Garong

Muda Mudi

Sholawat Badar

Terajana

Ayam Jago

Cucak Rowo

Cindai

and many more

I think it has Inek in it for sure in one of the remix styles.
for genres it has 

Dangdut

Keroncong

Campursari

Indonesian pop

Disco reggae

Remix

Regional/Musik daerah/Ethnic

Koplo

Traditional

Others

No, I'm not from Indonesia, I'm from Republic of Georgia, but I'd like to listen and play music across the world - I even watched Bintang pantura :) So have Didi Kempot and others in my playlist :) And Cucak Rowo is really interesting, because it has typical chord progression of western music, not common for other bahasa Indonesia music :)

• Thanks 1

On 9/22/2020 at 12:42 AM, RickyLee said:

Just a thought, did you install the style in the Data folder..or just on the stick? I put it in the data folder of my usb stick and loaded it into the CT-X5000. Worked and sounded fantastic!

RickyLee

Hi, I put it in the Data folder but it didn’t work. Will try it again later.

I have drafted these 3 styles today:

Chuck Berry - Jonny B. Goode

Mungo Jerry - In the summertime

The Rubettes - Sugar baby love

hope to finish them by end of the week, but if only someone can tell me, how I can change sound of specific track in style, directly on Casio? I tried reading manual - there are no normal instructions, all pages send you back and forth, so you get lost.

• Thanks 1

While in the Rhythm Editor, long press the Part button and you’ll open up the Rhythm Mixer. Here you can change the Tone, volume, panning, reverb, chorus and delay values for each track in a variation.

To change to a specific part (track), use the part toggle button and the number pad. Once you’ve selected the right track (the icon of the current track will flash), disable the part selector by pressing the part toggle button again and then use the up and down arrow keys on the number pad to select the parameter you want to change. Use the selection wheel to dial in a new value for your selected parameter.

Note that every variation/fill/intro/ending has its own mixer settings, so you’ll need to repeat this process several times to apply the new settings to the entire style. If you’re building a style from scratch (rather than converting assignments for existing source material), it can help to finish the first variation and fill entirely (even if you have empty tracks in var1, still change the voices assigned to the empty tracks to match what you eventually want to use) and then copy/paste the finished one into the other slots. Now you can add whatever new material you want to change up the other variations, and the voice assignments from the first round of editing will all carry over to the new pattern. Saves a bunch of time in the long run.

• Like 1

Yes I'll be doing more conversions this weekend. I do have bad moon rising style if not mistaken. Regarding country shuffle, if you can tell me couple of song names, that would give me a clue. Meanwhile, here is a style I've done from scratch. This is style for a song by Selena Gomez - "Love you like a love song". Currently it has only intro, main and variation, but still very usable :) will complete it later. (for some reasons, tempo is stuck to 100, it should be 116 for actual song).

lovesong.ac7

• Thanks 1

Hi Alex , and everyone on this forum!

Im on the verge of upgrading my equipment from a 1992 yam psr410 , wich now has started to show (mecanically) his age , to a modern mid range keyboard ,so my research led me to the psr e463 / casio ctx question, and I started seeng videos of both and, while I like more the Casio sounds and features, I found  the styles a little bit less attractive than the Yamaha ones. Also I started looking for converted yam to casio... and that is how I arrived here. So I'm very interested in your work! I also planning in save some of the rythms of my former yamaha to use on the casio... In particular,  my favorites are the 70's disco (Abba style for Dancing queen / Waterloo) which I can't find on the Casio . 

Also I'm reading the rest of the posts and I hope if (finally) I get a Casio the community gets growing. I think another issue with Casio is the less content fort this keyboard compared with Yamaha or Korg counterparts. 

Also a  greeting to @vbdx66 . I've found a lot of help and advice reading your coments in a lot of YouTube videos! Glad to see you also here! 😁

• Like 1

Yes, I also have PSR E-413 and was thinking about E-463, but all this painful style loading procedure, limited editing capabilities, lo-fi sample quality for many instruments and so on made me shift to Casio direction. I was planning PSR -S670, but it's $850 price tag was not amongst the prettiest things I ever seen, so I went with X5000. Speaking very shortly, if you need Piano or Reed instruments sounds badly, then go with Yamaha. Otherwise, stick with Casio.

BTW, I have converted that 70s disco style to Casio already, will upload it later :)

• Like 2

Yep, one of my firsts options were psr s670 or even the new sx600. Budget is not the main problem,  but I'm  a casual, home player... so I think spending that much money maybe don't  worth the extras that I probably won't use..... but still I'm considering the Korg pa300,  its just 200 euros more than the 5000. Just to know your opinion,  would you go for the korg if you find a  good offer? I'm in love with the "movies " styles of the Korg...

Also I'm a little geek for computers and programming, so I'm very excited with all the technical stuff that I'm reading here. I think flexibility comes along  with complexity. And it's good that the ctx comes with the option to do all those sorts of thinks. Its a very huge field for creative people,  and something i didn't had back in time if you couldn't spend a lot of money in a synthesizer or high grade arranger. 

As long as the videos I've seen for the ctx 3000 /5000, piano doesn't sound bad to me. I hope in  this week to go to a big Music Store here in Barcelona and try for myself....

Well I had no chance to check the Korg, because it is not sold here. We have some Kurzweils in the same price range, as X3000, but these are junk. As I understand, Kurzweill brand was bought by some Chinese company, so now their samples sound like toy electronic piano. For the Yamaha vs Casio I forgot to mention another, important thing. Casio is SLOW in real-time operations, like changing chord, changing instrument sounds and so on, even if you rotate wheel selector too fast, it will skip numbers randomly. So you have to learn to press chord change keys a bit earlier, to fit it into right measure. However, in memory interactions, such as saving played tone, style loading and so on, Casio is incredibly fast, especially compared to Yamaha E series, where simple, 10kb style loading can take up to 30-40 seconds. In real time operation, there is no delay or lagging on Yamaha. Another important difference is that Yamaha can "render" it's output to .wav file, so to transfer your performance to PC, you don't need sound card, as you will need it with Casio.

• Like 1

As I can say, based on my years of experience, great musicians make bad programmers and vice versa (For myself, I don't belong to any - have no musical education and can't read musical notation and have very basic programming knowledge). So I don't know where to start, because I don't know audience type - more programmers or musicians. So here is how I work, very short form and many details omitted.

For Yamaha styles (from files)

Using One mand band originals software (demo) version to preview the style. Use Cakewalk pro audio 9 to make any changes if necessary, while previewing levels/sounds on casio, connected as midi out device. Later, using that excel software to convert to AC7 file.

For Yamaha styles (ones that are built-in into PSR E series and not available for download).

Using cakewalk pro audio 9 to record intro, fill in, variations separately into midi file, then assemble it as midi file and use converter.

For styles made from midi files.

Cakewalk pro audio + style converter.

While doing all above you need detailed and rigorous check for many many things like chords, sysex messages, base harmony, RPN/NPRN controllers and some very technical stuff. What I want to say, there is no way that you just click a button and get working style. You need to do a lot by hand. Significantly easier is to transfer styles from very old Yamaha keyboards, like PSR-540/640 and so on (ones that had single intro and only A/B variations). Above mentioned Excel style converter handles them properly in 99% of cases, so you just open your style in it, click convert and click save.

• Like 1

Regarding the technical stuff. For example, converting style from Tyros, you will need:

1. Check drum channels and merge them into one, because in Tyros styles, they can be everywhere, not just on channels 9 and 10, but say 4 or 7.

2. Check how many chording/backing tracks you have, Tyros styles can have up to 10, so you need to carefully check and re-arrange them into 5 tracks, available on Casio, and do not forget to insert tone changes at specific areas.

3. And you need to fine tune, which Casio sound better matches which Tyros sound.

4. Also you need to check midi events and remove unsupported ones, because they can mess up your sound.

On average, to fine tune Tyros style for Casio, you will need 4-6 hours at least.

Speaking shortly, tell me which specific Tyros style you need (I have most of them), or upload the file, and if I see it is possible to convert with relatively little labor, I can do it for you.

• Like 1