Video Files on Forum ×

Privia PX-120 - problem connecting to PC/Windows via USB Midi cable

rg000

Hi, i'm trying to connect Privia PX 120 to a Windows 10 laptop via USB/Midi interface cable

The problem: the communication works only one way: I can send Midi commands from PC to the Casio keyboard and the keyboard will play sounds. But doesnt work the other way - when i press keys on the keyboard no MIDI events are received on the laptop.

Tested with Pocket MIDI program https://www.morson.jp/pocketmidi-webpage/, but other programs also dont receive any input

The midi cable i have is a cheap one, similar to this:

https://www.amazon.com/TENINYU-Synthesizer-Microphone-Instrument-Converter/dp/B07L8KFYBK/ref=sr_1_15?dchild=1&keywords=usb+midi+cable&qid=1600973563&sr=8-15

(i mean not exactly the same model, but also some chinese no-name type with similar build)

What could be wrong? Is it supposed to work? The usb interface - is it too low quality?

Or maybe some magic needs to be performed on the piano configuration?

Thanks for suggestions/help

R

I'll say this.  I bought one of the same no-name cables many many years ago.  It gave me the same issues.  I replaced it with a brand name cable and never had issues.  In addition, we've had countless people come to this forum with those same no-name cables, and had the same issues.  In all likelihood, the cable is the issue.  

You bet-I have posts all over here warning people not to get these cables, I've had 3 when these first came out-all were defective, missing a major IC in 2! Bad solder connections in another.  This one works well, but I also have a Midisport 2 x 2 which also much better-faster responses when I need to get alot of data back and forth from softwarefor saving/copying files to keys. The picture below costs a little more, but it has worked on everything I've used it with. It's a shame the market is flooded with these other poor quality cables. I cut mine apart and made a spare regular midi din to midi din cable out of them-at least that worked!

usb adapter midi.jpg