Video Files on Forum ×

Change tones used in MIDI files

PeteT

Hi guys. I’ve had my MZ X500 for less than a month and I’ve only spent a little time getting acquainted with it.  I’ve been playing it, just haven’t really gotten under the hood so to speak, to see how it ticks.  The only thing that I’ve tried to figure out is how to do exactly what’s described here: change the GM instrumentation of smf’s to Casio tones or even sampled tones.  Am I to understand that in order to do this you have to copy the SMF’s or preset style into a user  location and then change its instrumentation? If so, it’s disappointing, but who knows I may decide that I can live with it. There is a problem that I’m having that makes me want to return it before the month is up:  when playing an SMF, sometimes I’ll stop the track and then search for a new one and the new file won’t be heard through the speakers, (you can see the new track being played by the board, it just isn’t sounded). Once this happens, I have to turn the instrument off to fix the problem. Does this have something to do with memory on the keyboard being eaten up by other functions? If so, this is troubling.  I’m using this to back me playing sax, and I’d need something more reliable.  I really want to like this board, (I have a WK 7600 and it’s pretty good), but these issues may mean I have to move on to something else.  
Pete

Most MIDI files are embedded with patch change messages that are controlling what tones are selected in whatever device the file is playing back on, the MZX in your case.   You'll need to remove the embedded data, or load the file into the MZX MIDI recorder and use the event editor, or header data overwrite to edit the patch change data in the file.

• Thanks 1

Try playing the midi file from the beginning before you turn off the keyboard, or change to a different file. Most midi files have control change, tempo and many other settings at the beginning of the song, this is standard practice. If you stop the song in the middle, the MZ-X might keeping whatever changes were in that midi file intact until you turn it off.  and-as Brad has said-unless you manually input "bank change" and "program change" messages into the midi file-it will always set the tones back to the "GM" sounds-which will not be the higher quality sounds in the Casio, or even a tone that is similar. Even if you select a different tone from the MZ's tones-the midi file will have a "chase" function. Meaning it will only play your new sound until you stop and start your midi file-then it will revert back to the GM tone-and this will happen with other settings too-pan, volume, effects sends, anything embedded in the beginning of that midi file.  This also depends on how the keyboard is responding-it may lock onto your sound changes regardless of the midi chase function-and may be why you need to turn the keyboard off and on again. If a setting in the midi file is muting certain channels-the channels will stay muted-if you bring the midi file back to its beginning-the keyboard may unmute or reset these channels by itself, this is hard to predict and depends on the midi file and whatever is embedded in it. I couldn't tell unless i experimented with it. My PX560 will respond this way, and there are similarities between the 2.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thx Jokeyman!  So in essence these program change messages have to be set to what I’d like before playing the file.  It’d be nice if there was an open program change function built into these files for instrument experimentation on the keyboard.  I’ve got a PSR 730 that has a revoice function on the front panel.  Only thing is it doesn’t work for smf’s just styles.  I’ll experiment with event editing or do it via the DAW.  Thx again guys!

Yes-for example-I

have  a huge collection of midi files-classical/jazz/pop. If I play any of these from the computer into the PX560-or any Casio I have-if the piano is the main sound or tone-the midi file will always play the default "GM" piano tone, which in my PX560 is not the stereo grand piano-which requires a bank change message first, then a program change to select the better sounding acoustic piano tone. I look for the settings in my software that inserts bank and program changes, have to look up the "bank change" and "program change" numbers in the midi implementation chart for that keyboard, and store this same midi file with the new codes or control change messages. Now if I want to do that internally, with the song recorder and not software-and i think the MZ is the same as the PX560 in this regard, I select all my tones first with the mixer panel-then record a blank "system track"-which will save all those tone, pan, volume and all other mixer settings in that system track in one recording. As long as you do not record over that system track, whatever changes you made in the mixer will be recorded/saved in that track.  This is a good way to pick all your tones first-for all the other tracks 1-16. You can also do this with the system track while you also record your auto-rhythm at the same time. The tones in the auto-rhythm accompaniment will be recorded just as you selected them-even if it is an arranger rhythm you've already created, with your own tones, drumkits and other settings. and you still will have whatever tone selections you preset for the other tracks. But you have to set this all up first, then record a one-shot system track which now has all of that data. and don't forget-to save this as a new song-or a midi file with the MZ-X internally. Now if you offload this mid file into the computer, to save it and play it into the MZ-X-it should have ll the same settings as if you played it from the internal song recorder of the MZ-X.Brad, Mike Joe correct me if i am wrong, I'm going by my PX560, might not be exactly the same here, MZ-X is one of the Casios I don't have!

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thx guys for indulging my inquiries.  When in doubt read the manual!  (My only defense is that a manual for an alto sax is barely 5 pages long and written infinitely more clearly🤦🏾‍♂️😂.) On page A1 of the tutorial manual, it has a diagram of the 3 ports X 16 channels per port.  Port C (all 16 channels) is set aside for midi recorder playback.  So just tapping either port button does it.  There don’t seem to be any program change restrictions either.  It appears even user tones can be used in place of the GM instrumentation, (I 🤔, haven’t tried yet).  Thanks again everyone.  Now my backing tracks can be updated, even on the fly I can audition sounds.  Man, if this thing had 88 fully weighted wooden keys it would be near perfect!