Video Files on Forum ×

AP-650 key stuck up

You might try pulling the key forward a bit to see if it is simply stuck in that position-then pushing it back in and down, although there might not be enough clearance with the front of the piano's frame to do this successfully.  Unfortunately in my repair experience, when a key in a Casio with the piano action has managed to detach itself this way, the entire keybed  must be lifted clear of the front of the piano frame-to get the key back into position which means disassembly. I could be wrong, but I've had to repair 2 Casios where the key popped out of position and since these were not done by me, I'm not sure how this happens-unless the part of the key that holds it in place has broken-you can also get a key to be like this by pulling up on it although this looks to be more out of position than that-so you may get lucky by just trying to push it back in place as i described-be careful though-if it doesn't click back in easily-if you force it-it will break and might do even more damage than now. If this doesn't work, time to get a repair technician to work on this-Casio if this is under warranty.

• Like 1

Hi Vivien,

My child did something similar to our AP-650, a # is stuck up.

Did you get any help from the forum or elsewhere on how to disassemble it to get to the keys.

Mine is long time out of warranty and with CoViD around, the fewer strangers in the house the better for us all.

Has anyone advice on pulling it apart or access to a service manual they can share?

Thanks

Update Note: Do not try this if you think it may break.  Some users reported breaking the key trying this.  

I tried looking for the post but couldn't find it, where someone was able to hold down the rear portion of the key firmly while doing something with the front part.  I'm not sure exactly how it went, but they did reset the key without disassembly. 

• 1 year later...

Just adding to this two year old thread in case anyone, like me, has the same problem and finds that this is the only example Google throws up.

My AP-245 (AP-250) got this same issue in early 2020, I had left the lid open and somebody was lifting up a heavy box which caught on the key, lifting it up:

TnMmvLl.png

They key still had a reasonable amount of travel, but would NOT go down - pressing it down even hard enough for the key to bend had no effect. With a house move and my life becoming a lot busier, it has been like this for two years; my daughter is now learning to play and has been using a cheap Yamaha keyboard, so I wanted to get this sorted out.

Given that the cost of calling out an Authorised Casio Repairman would have been similar to the cost of just getting another used digital piano, I really wanted to do this myself, and if possible without total disassembly.

I couldn't find the original post that Brad Saucier  was referring to, but he was right on the money with  "hold down the rear portion of the key firmly"; I had to push MUCH harder than I was comfortable doing, but given that either a) I fix it b) nothing happens or c) the key breaks, and given that both B and C require me to call someone out and likely pay through the nose, p just pushed hard and put my weight NEAR THE BACK of the key (around the middle of the black key's length), and it finally popped into place. If I had put that pressure on the front, it would have snapped the plastic for sure. 

Maybe I just got lucky, but just wanted to post my experience for anyone in the future with the same issue.

Finished result:

y6wUVPa.png

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...