Video Files on Forum ×

A Few Basic Questions About The PX560

TomTPX560

1.  I noticed that sometimes it's written PX560M.  What does the M stand for?

2.  Can the PX560 record multitrack sequencer playback stuff as high quality

audio to usb stick ?  (I know it can record single track real time performances

as high quality audio to usb stick.)

3.  What's the best sustain pedal to use with the PX560?

4.  Who are the most trustworthy retailers of musical keyboards?  I want a

brand new PX560.

5.  Are there any technical issues with the PX560 that seem to be more

than just very rare hardware or software anomalies?

6.  Is the PX560 considered to be a workstation/arranger keyboard?

7.  Seems like this keyboard has been around for a while.  Is there any

chance of Casio producing a replacement/upgrade or discontinuing

the PX560 in the foreseeable future?

I guess that's about it for now.  I'm going to watch some PX560 YouTube vids,

and also look through the manual that I downloaded.  Thanks for any comments.

After a bit of research, I've pretty much settled on the PX560.  Looks, and

sounds, like a pretty fantastic keyboard.  Still about 2 to 3 months away from

getting it though.  Which is ok since I haven't learned how to do everything on my

WK7600 yet.

One technical bug that Mike Martin sent to Casio Japan once i discovered and posted  the problem here, and was fixed with version 1.16 of the firmware with an easy firmware update-up to version 1.15, whenever i edited a drumkit and used it in a recorded with the song recorder-it distorted or seemed to add a weird echo or pitch effect. This was not noticeable if I played the edited kit live from the keys-but as soon as i used it for a recording this happened. Un-edited drum kits used in my recordings were fine, and no other edited tones exhibited this strange behavior. Other than that-I've found no other bugs.

The other limitation which may or may not matter to you-there is no midi "clock" received or sent through the mid ports-for synchronizing with other mid devices-keyboards or hardware/software sequencers. but I've also posted recently-I found that the PX560 tempo clock for recording is so accurate-I have been able to manually "sync" several other older midi modules with the PX560 without this and it seems to work quite well as far as my recent experiments have gone-I am still testing it with my older keyboards such as my TS-12 Ensoniq sequence recorder and the SY77 and Equinox. but this worked with my 2 arranger modules-the QY100 and PMA-5 Roland so far-important if you do any midi recording with external gear like I do, and want to sync it to the PX560. The XW-P1 has midi sync built into it and it comes in handy for certain midi recordings. 

The Casio SP-33 3-pedal pedal is designed for the PX-560/350-or the Casio single pedal unit-I think it's labelled as the SP-20-works well if you don't need the half-pedaling and soft functions of the 3-pedal unit.

As far as other questions, with the pandemic i see many music retailers still sell these new-I can't recommend any one-this user group doesn't allow commercial endorsements-and as far as any other updates, only Casio Japan or the showings at NAMM will make new products known. I think Casio describes the PX560 as a stage piano, but i could be wrong, it is not really considered a workstation, but has many of the same features as one-multi-track recording/audio recording-programmable tones/layers/hex layers but most workstations do not have built-in sound systems and speakers-and i use these as monitors at home with the audio in connection-very handy when using an external digital recorder for other aoustic parts and I don't have my other sound systems nearby.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Jokeyman123 for another great reply.  I'm sure that I will be referring back to stuff you've written in replies to me and in other threads.  It's a lot for a lightweight like me to take in.  But much appreciated. 

Regarding pedals, I use a Casio SP-20 with my WK7600.  It's a nice unit, rather 'light' on the sustain, but enough for most of my music.  There's probably a way to tweak that (or maybe not), which I will eventually learn.  The main reason that I like it a lot is that it's got enough rubber underneath that it doesn't move at all on my tile floor no matter what my foot does.  All other sustain pedals that I've used are all over the place, and I've used lots of velcro to keep them in place.   I will be getting the Casio 3-pedal unit for my PX560.  I expect that half-pedaling will become important to me.

After I asked the questions in this thread, I found out that the PX560 is considered primarily a portable or stage piano.   But it has everything that a hobbyist composer like me needs -- with the added plus of feeling and sounding like a really nice acoustic piano.  I especially like that Casio textured the keys.

Regarding MIDI, I haven't yet felt the need to learn it, though I have a basic (novice) understanding of how it works.   I don't (sight, i.e., fast) read music either -- just fiddle around on the keys until I come up with something that sounds good to me, then try to expand on that, and subsequently try to remember what I did.  That's where the MIDI sequencer comes in very handy, actually sort of a necessity for me.  Lots of little ideas waiting to be developed, though I do have around 100 finished tunes on various internet sites like YouTube, SoundCloud, SoundClick and maybe a few others that I don't remember.   Maybe some day I'll take the time to get more into MIDI.

Regarding, trustworthy retailers, ok, no names.  There's two not too far from me that I'm going to visit.  Might end up ordering from internet though.  Plenty of time to decide on that.  But I definitely want a brand new one.

Thanks again.

On 11/5/2020 at 9:05 AM, Brad Saucier said:

1. In the Privia series, "M" is a Privia that has auto accompaniment.  

6. Privia is a portable digital piano first and foremost, although it does have some extra features from arranger and workstation type keyboards, that unexpected extra Casio likes to throw in.

Thanks Brad Saucier.  Going now to watch some more PX560 vids.

Some of the world's most brilliant musicians never could read music-Louis Armstrong comes to mind. As Einstein said (Albert not Bob-Super Dave) imagination is more valuable than intellect.  i imagine I am a famous musician-works for me. Off to practice my one song medley-a legend in my own mind-old Las Vegas comedy intro....

:spacecraft-1:   1969433958_superdave.jpg.e80a597d81677e4819006b34a64bfc8f.jpg