Video Files on Forum ×

Hey Casio Guys

did you ever think that sometimes we don't want reverb and chorus .I-know I know --I can edit them out ,but sometimes just a plain wave has more room to slice and dice. imo lately I have been going the hex layer route and starting with a bare bones wave .It helps me grasp what each parameter change actually does to the audio.

Speaking of hex -layer ,on my XWp1--- In a layer , I was editing ''pitch LFO''--- it had a setting for LFO depth '' this'' was obviously doing that. Here is the mystery it also had one called ''modulation depth'' that I can't get to do anything. Does anyone know where this ,comes into play? The modulation wheel works fine but this does not communicate with it either. thanks Tom

I'll have to look over my XW Tom-have a few other problems to solve not music related-but I am guessing the difference between LFO and modulation depth????  LFO depth will apply only to the LFO's specific programmable parameters as a constant setting-and the modulation depth-should be tied to the mod wheel to vary how much of the LFO depth will apply to the overall sound. In other words-one could set the LFO depth to be very pronounced-and it will be a constant applied to the tone or layer-but then the modulation depth can vary that setting to be stronger or weaker-I guess. and yes my old SY77 and Equinox both have a global setting for turning off all the effects. Important when programming a sound-or an entire composition. I don't see a global setting for this on the XW, although I think one of the sliders can be programmed to turn off all effects globally-maybe from the mixer as you can with volume for all tracks. I'll have to look again when I have the time.

• Like 1

There are several areas during editing ,where reverb ,chorus  and DSP s are in the parameter lists. I turn one down then run into one I miss..As mentioned  I can get them turned down ,but was wondering why they are always  partially installed ,It seems to be a corner all synths paint themselves in  to.  I have some nice rack effects I would rather use ,sometimes   also I like to  place them in the chain to suit me. Actually I will have to check out accessing from the mixer ,I do use it for volume on the individual parts.thanks guys

• 4 weeks later...

So I post this ,then Mike Martin comes up posting a blog on hex layers and turning off reverb.  I  accidentally deserve a nod.Running  audio out to stand alone effects gives me better parameters on reverb,chorus and most DSPs but my keyboard's  hex layers with their ''one on one ''samples have me in their grip right now. Then sometimes i get in a solo synth mood

Right-many, well not many but some workstations/keyboards have a global setting to turn off all effects-important when I am editing sounds-or using external DSP as you've said.  MY Yamaha SY77 has a dedicated all effects off setting, as does my old Generalmusic Equinox. I think with the right mixer setting-I'll have to check my XW-you can reduce all reverb to zero with one slider-I haven't seen Mike's tutorial on this specifically.