Video Files on Forum ×

How to set the PX-5S to MIDI THRU? And can it merge MIDI IN?

pax-eterna

So on page 41 of the Advanced User Guide, it clearly states an option for MIDI out to come from what is coming in MIDI in (basic MIDI thru function). However this option is NOT available on the actual keyboard! Instead of the four options outlined in the manual only three are on the keyboard. The 3rd one - MIDI (MIDI IN): Messages input via MIDI IN (MIDI THRU) is not there....so afaics there is NO way to have what is coming in the MIDI in to go out either MIDI OUT or USB OUT without actually turning off the keyboards internal sound connection.

If there is some "hidden" thing here I am open to suggestions.

I'll try and post a pic...ahhh sorry my bad, just re-opened the manual the first line in the box  is only stating what options are available...I misread it to be another option.

Ok, so in that case when I do select that I get no midi thru from the MIDI in. I have confirmed there is data from an external controller being seen at MIDI in, but nothing is showing at out. If I change to the KEY option, I then get no external midi data.

So obviously I am mis-reading this data section. I am trying to have a zone on the keyboard send note data out EITHER USB or MIDI, I am not fussed either way BUT I also need the external controller data to go out the same method. I have played around with the settings and cannot get anything other than notes out, either MIDI or USB.

• 3 months later...
On 1/11/2021 at 6:19 AM, Brad Saucier said:

Yes.  USB OUT can be set to MIDI.  That would send received data from MIDI IN to USB OUT.  

Sorry to resurrect this Brad, but I had cause to try this again, and when setting the USB to midi, NO notes are transmitted? Seems the only way to transmit is with it set to KEY, same goes for the MIDI port. It's certainly not the best controller going around hey ;)

Do you know of any other tricks so I can get notes AND what is coming in MIDI in out to the USB port?

Thanks

What are you using for sending midi in data? Sounds like you need an old-fashioned midi dongle for mid merge or split. With a midi merge, could you connect your one midi out source to a merge box, and the PX5S midi out also to the merge and get both streams into one midi in? Is this what you need to do?  Not sure what you are trying to do, depends on what your other midi out source is. 

• Like 1

• Brad Saucier changed the title to How to set the PX-5S to MIDI THRU? And can it merge MIDI IN?

MIDI Merge/spilt does not work either as there is no way to get what is coming in to midi in to USB out...and afaik, not even anyway to get midi in to get sent to midi out (no midi thru unless I am mistaken)  I have two merge boxes of different types. No solution there.

I am using the MIDI Expression box to get expression pedal and half-pedalling into the PX. And this works fine, it's just I need these to go to my iPad (from a PX exclusive iPad Stage Setting (no Gen out on all zones) .

Hi,

MIDI thru is always only midi thru.  What comes in from an EXTERNAL source is passed thru the current device to another device.  If the current device is the PX-5s it will not pass notes or controls played on the keyboard to the port that is set as MIDI thru.  Unless a synth is specifcally designed to merge incoming MIDI data with outgoing MIDI data, MIDI Thru always passes MIDI information foward from an external source.  The reason is conflicting data.  If you are pressing a key at velocity 50 on channel one and it's set to be a piano; and incoming data on channel one is at velocity 127 and is a program change to a saxaphone,  what is the keyboard you're playing supposed to do?  That's what MIDI thru is for.  It bypasses the keyboard and sends the data on without affecting it.

The MIDI thru port is set by > MIDI out Select [MIDI] or USB out Select [MIDI].   The only way to get info out of the PX-5s is by setting one or both of the ports to [KEY].  But that information is exclusive to the PX-5s.  It is not merged with data that is passing thru the PX-5s.

So you are using an expression pedal in a MIDI input to the PX-5s.  The direct control will change the PX because the PX is the endpoint of the connection - that change will not be transmitted forward if you wanted to control something else.  Now if you spun a dial or moved a slider on the PX that was set as an expression control, that would be transmitted out because the PX would be initiating it instead of receiving it.

You should control the expression on the final device receiving the MIDI input.  The only good controlling the expression via MIDI on the PX-5s would be if you are using it's own sounds .

You should, however, be able to use both the 5 pin out from the PX and the USB.  let's say the 5 pin out is your MIDI thru with the expression control.   When you step on the pedal plugged into the PX-5s 5 pin IN and the 5 pin OUT is set up as a thru and connected to the destination, you should see CC 11 (assuming that's the cc being sent) changing on the destination.  If the destination can receive a second MIDI in via the USB from the PX-5s, you would set the USB to [KEY] so that keyboard information is sent from the PX.  The receiving device would need to be able to receive the USB as a separate MIDI in port.  In the end you are still left with merging the MIDI data.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Choppin. It is interesting to note that controllers/keyboards that have the CV jack, - and that data is coming IN to the device- send that data out the MIDI and/or USB ports.

I had thought of the method you described, but wasn't sure it would work...nice to get it confirmed it will, thanks! But, I WAS trying to avoid having a convoluted iPad interface going on haha! I'd need a USB hub then a MIDI to USB adaptor (to connect the PX midi out to the iPad) and also to connect the PX USB out. Totally do-able but it just starts to get a bit messy.

Still, cheaper than one of those devices I linked to as I have those components already.

Thanks again to you, Brad and Jokeyman, it really helped to clarify it.