Video Files on Forum ×

Recommended Headphones for Casio Celviano Grand Hybrid

I have found from experience and learned from an expert that there's not one headphone that is good for all electronic-based keyboards. Unfortunately, I don't recall where I learned that piece of information and the explanation. But it was explained in detail. So it ends up as more of a hit or miss operation of finding that perfect pair of headphones unless you have known someone who has the same instrument as you and has found success. I believe I have found success, so I am sharing that on this forum.

At first I went to the Guitar Center and tried their best headphones, buying the headphones, bringing them home to audition them, then returning them. Then I tried a couple of headphones recommended specifically for digital pianos via websites. Again, purchasing them online, auditioning them, then repackaging them for returns because none that I tried were satisfactorily reproducing the "native" sound that emanated from the speaker system of my GP-300. Having to buy headphones online and then return them was getting costly.

I don't recall what got me to try the JVC Flats, but I discovered that these inexpensive pair of headphones (about $20) reproduces the "natural" sound of my GP-300 Grand Hybrid. In fact, when I first put on these headphones, I couldn't tell whether the sound I was hearing was coming through the speaker system or the headphones (giving full respect to the time and expertise Casio and Bechstein must have gone into the samplings the grand pianos that went into this product).

It should be pointed out, however, that I personally prefer the "open back" construction to give that acoustical edge. In my performance situation, I'm not playing within a space with competing sounds, so I'm not trying to block out unwanted noise. Furthermore, these headphones are comfortable to wear for long periods. But they do sit on the ear, and some people might not like that but, like I said, they are comfortable. Finally, as noted, it won't break the bank at about $20 and can be usually found locally at a brick and mortar store. The one drawback for me is the cable is somewhat short, so it's kind of tight from the piano's output to the headphones. Thus, I use an extension adaptor to lengthen it made by Insignia (6' 3.5mm Extension Cable - Black). Note. Not all extension adaptors are equal either. Insignia will work where some others won't.  (Belkin used to make an excellent one with a bit shorter cable that I liked, but they have apparently stopped making it. Monoprice ($4.19 online) makes a 6' 3.5 that looks similar to the Belkin, but I haven't tried it so can't vouch for it).

Another pair of headphones that I found similarly reproduces the "natural" sound of the Casio Celviano Grand Hybrid are the Roland RH-A7 headphones. These list at $160 but can be usually be found online for around $120. These are also "open back" headphones that enclose the entire ear, and the cable is long enough not to require an extension adaptor. I prefer the JVC Flats over the Roland because the Flats seem to connect me closer to hearing the piano from outside the headphone experience. 

Of course, I'm not saying these are the only headphones that do the piano justice, but I can recommend them for the reasons described above.

• Like 1

Try the Superlux HD681's. Not eh "Evos"-the plain HD with the red striping. Sound amazing with all my digital pianos, and I have pro AKG monitor cans to compare to. There are (marginally) better, but not at this price point.  Like yours, I have to take them off to make sure I'm not playing through my stereo studio sound system. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Phillips shp 9500.  Really great. My favorites on the piano ( i have a gp400).

I also really like Grado125, but my pair is around 40 years old, so I don't know is the current ones are the same.  I think the grados are a bite better at making me forget that I'm not listening to the piano directly (through speakers), but the philips are almost as good in that respect and better in bass. 

One time I started playing at about 2 AM with my headphones on my ears (I think it was the Phillips ones, actually).  Unfortunately they were NOT plugged in, so I woke up my wife!   The thing is, they sound so good and natural plugged in that I really couldn't tell the difference when they were not actually plugged in.

That said, the more familiar you get with the piano (especially the extra brightness and spaciousness you get by lifting the lid), the more you realize that nothing is TRULY a substitute for playing with speakers, without headphones.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have the opposite experience. When I play through headphones the sound quality is good but when I take them off and hear the sound through the speakers it sounds tinny. This was my impression when I tried the piano in the store and compared it with other hybrid pianos. I was told I could enhance the quality of the sound coming from the speakers if I bought a sound bar. Does anyone have experience with that?

I'm pleased with the audio quality of my AKG K240 studio over the ear headphones, and like the large cups for the ears, but I find that they fit too tightly for prolonged use. Can anyone recommend headphones with good audio quality that also have an adjustable fit for a comfortable experience? I would also favour noise cancelling headphones but that isn't so important.

I personally like the Philips 9500.  I don't disagree that headphones will provide better lows/bass in the sound.  My subjective feeling is that the experience of having the sound project from the piano itself  before it hits the eardrum produces a more satisfying sense of realism for me, and I don't see headphones as reproducing that perfectly.  But you are def correct that in many ways the sound through headphones is fuller.

• 5 months later...

Recently took delivery of a GP-510. Absolutely love it! Time to upgrade headphones for quiet/private practice.

So my headphone journey thus far:

Good old Bose QC20i's that I've traveled with for years. They work OK so long as I leave them powered off. When I power them on, they sound a LOT better, but then pick up a 60 Hz hum from the piano unless I ground myself the 1/4" headphone adapter. Turns out they also do that on my old Yamaha P120 digital piano now, so I suspect the cable connections / shielding are deteriorating. I might yet fix them, but I can tell they aren't ideal for the lovely sounds of the GP-510. It seems the hum is a common problem to the first-generation QC20i's and they are "fun" to fix... 16 hair-thin wires inside the brain-box.

Sennheiser HD 560S open backs. Picked these up at Best Buy yesterday. Lovely sound! However, the CASIO can't drive them loud enough, so I end up playing the keyboard harder (and what's with the Keyboard Sensitivity setting being either inop or extremely subtle?). The Sennheiser's are rated 120 ohms impedance. My MacBook Pro can drive them plenty loud, and they sound great, but that doesn't help the piano. I'm not keen on adding a headphone amp to the piano. I try to keep the piano as much "sit down and play" as possible.

AirPods Max. Very seriously considered after auditioning them in the store. Wow. Super build quality, very comfortable, and amazing sound. Unknown as to how latency and sound stage are when using the optional analog input cable, since all of the active EQ happens in the digital domain. Also unclear if they'd be loud enough. Yet another thing to keep charged up, and there's that little issue of longevity. I expect my headphones to last at least a decade. But Max's sure are nice. I suspect they'll either see a update in the coming months, or be quietly discontinued. They remind me of the original HomePod... very nice, but, hmm.

Philips SCH-9600... after reading this thread, I figured they would be worth a try. Awaiting delivery of them today. If they check all the boxes, then I'll be a happy midnight pianist.

Thanks everyone!

• Like 1

I'm trying others. still like the Superlux 681's. Now through my Fusions and Korgs, still pretty hard to imagine something sounding better under 200-300 dollars US and maybe not even then-only phones I've ever heard better are the old electrostatic powered headsets-but not through pianos, only through pro stereo sound systems. Then again, I don't even know if these are made anymore-were VERY costly. if I had a Casio GP, I might want to think about an electrostatic headset, not sure what the impedances are typically. I remember when I first tried a pair years ago-and this was older technology-it was scary how realistic these things sounded, and I already had experience with a few studio-quality non-electrostatic headsets at home and in a studio or 2.

Oops, just did a quick Google-electrostatics are still being made. How they'd sound on the Casio pianos, have no idea-might have to buy a set. Of course, even the "cheap" electrostatics cost as much as a Casio Privia, some are more than the GP' series pianos. Anybody using these? Might need a separate post to find out. 

Edited by Jokeyman123

On 5/17/2021 at 6:58 PM, Noa Latham said:

I have the opposite experience. When I play through headphones the sound quality is good but when I take them off and hear the sound through the speakers it sounds tinny. This was my impression when I tried the piano in the store and compared it with other hybrid pianos. I was told I could enhance the quality of the sound coming from the speakers if I bought a sound bar. Does anyone have experience with that?

I'm pleased with the audio quality of my AKG K240 studio over the ear headphones, and like the large cups for the ears, but I find that they fit too tightly for prolonged use. Can anyone recommend headphones with good audio quality that also have an adjustable fit for a comfortable experience? I would also favour noise cancelling headphones but that isn't so important.

On my GP-510 the Berlin sounds a bit shrill / hard attack in the treble starting about F#5 when playing through the built-in speakers with the lid open and all defaults. I think it's the nature of the piano they sampled (likely perfectly voiced) combining with the well hidden tweeters aimed right at my ears. Turning the Brilliance down to -1 or -2 mitigates it, as does closing the lid.

I'm particularly sensitive to certain kinds of tweeter setups, though. Someone with more knowledge of hi-fi once told me I was probably hearing crossover distortion and that not everyone is as sensitive to it. It has to do with you ear shape and all that.

So we have a winner... Philips SHP9600. The Casio GP-510 can drive these headphones sufficiently loud - nearly as loud as the piano's built-in sound system. They are spec'd at 32 Ohms vs. the Sennheiser 560S's 120 Ohms.

Bass extension seems to be a decent match to the GP-510 as well. The stereo imaging is remarkable. Like @Eli26 experienced, my first reaction was "oops - is the piano still playing on internal speakers??" My partner had the same reaction when he tried them on. We both remarked on how much more comfortable they are than the 560S's.

Being open back they do leak some sound, but not enough to bother anyone in another room, let alone me playing late with the windows open. They also let in roughly 80% of the room sound, so I still hear the keyboard noises, passing cars, etc. These would not be a good headphone choice for someone needing to block or cancel outside noise.

Thanks for the recommendation!

• Like 2