Video Files on Forum ×

Making a Morricone electric guitar tone

Hello everyone, I was listening to some music of Ennio Morricone the other day,  I whistle and love a lot of his music and am looking to reproduce the electric guitar he uses, linked to the piece with the timestamp:

like this  (linked to the timestamp) :

I do not know a lot about guitars, so I need some help Identifying the kind of guitar it is, and chosing a tone and what parameters I'll have to edit to replicate that guitar. Thanks a lot!

This is one of the toughest emulations-a clean electric Strat or Tele. I did a cover here of Telstar (Ventures version) and Red River Rock by Johnny and the Hurricanes for fun, here's the original River Rock,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvrD7XDwQ3Q

I had to run through every guitar tone in the PCX560, and i was still not satisfied with the Telstar guitar but it was close. River Rock-I gave up and learned the lead on my...guitars. It is almost impossible to create that old rockabilly/country clean sound with a keyboard in my experience. Something about that old spring reverb sound and as Brad said, a real tremolo guitar. These old guys were masters at this sound. The Ventures, Dick Dale, Beach Boys (I think that was really Glen Campbell in the studio look up "Wrecking Crew")) Joe Meek (well maybe not Joe Meek who created his own world of sound) these guys worked with what they had-and none of it had a keyboard in it!!!!! Maybe an old upright piano if they were lucky. what I could not get-the attack-had a particular "twang" sound to it-that I could not duplicate. As soon as you pluck the guitar-the tone is not stable right away which gives it that great twang attack. maybe try a little rapid pitch change in the guitar attack envelope with a very slight slow detuning in the sustain, I couldn't get it myself. the keyboard guitars are too steady with the pitch unlike a guitar which changes its pitch ever so subtly on attack, to release to sustain. This I think is what makes it so hard to get with a keyboard. even your pick is not getting the same exact pitch every time you hit the same string. What makes classical guitar so insanely difficult-as my classical guitar friends I visit in the Institute for the " Terminally Pitch-challenged" tell me. And why I wear a helmet when working with guitar players who insist I stop doubling their parts on the keys as they throw stuff at me. I do it on purpose.....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Just Alex said:

It is always a compromise, playing stringed instrument on keyboard. You need to have very specific talent, besides the hardware capabilities. Listen to this from 1:10 and ask yourself, whenever you posses such keyboard skills :D

WOW that's mindblowing, I'm very much a beginner haha, started learning pretty late