Video Files on Forum ×

Headphone receptacles on the front

SteveK

I use a pair of wired headphones about half the time I am playing the keyboard.  I have a very old pair of Bose Noise Cancelling headphones.  They are from the era before Bluetooth. 

I am concerned that plugging them in and out approximately once a day is going to wear out either of the two 1/8" receptacles on the keyboard. There are two receptables and I don't consistently use one.  I alternate back and forth.   So each gets half the use. 

Should I be concerned they are going to wear out, get loose, and stop making good contact?  How many insertion cycles are those receptacles designed for?   And if they wear out and I have to replace that part, I am experienced with a soldering iron but not too excited about taking apart the CGP-700 to get access to the receptacles.  

What do others do about listening via headset?

I can't speak for usage cycles-only Casio would know-but I can tell you there is a discrete IC board with the jacks soldered to it-definitely repairable, maybe replaceable if you can find the part-I did for the PX560 as it did sustain damage and was unrepairable-the board was cracked in transit.  I think the CGP700, 360 and 560 all use the same part for the headphones and fortunately to repair or replace this part just take off the end cap and unscrew 1-2 tiny screws as i recall. I wish Casio had gone with the standard 1/4" stereo plugs-but there isn't alot of room in there, and possibly the 1/8" stereo jacks might be less prone to causing major damage if mishandled or damaged. Smaller, in this case, might be better especially since it is all plastic. So far after 2-3 years of fairly constant headphone use, I've had no problems with any of the Casios. Just don't stick a firecracker in there you should be good....

Okay.  I am not going to worry about wearing it out for now.  If some day I need to fix it I will attempt that but hopefully that won't happen.

On a related subject:  As mentioned I am using a corded noise reduction headset.  It is early version, probably more than 20 years old. It's not really comfortable compared to the stuff now available.  But all the popular current noise reduction headsets are bluetooth.   Do any of you guys use a bluetooth headset for this?  If so what do you use to transmit the bluetooth from the keyboard to the headset?   Do you plug in a bluetooth transmitter into the keyboard's headphone jack (BTW, I learned something just now.... I was using "receptacle" rather than "jack" because I thought jack was the same as the male plug, but looking it up I learned that jack is the female.) 

Agreed-found that out the hard way-expecting my bluetooth speakers to be useful as moniors-had to go direct to rca jacks and line outs with these. And again-with a little Behringer USB audio interface I bought due to one of my laptops not having an input jack-same problem-never expected the audio to be delayed but it is-pretty much makes this kind of interface useless since monitoring acurately, unless you like echo, is impossible-have to have  a separate wired monitor system anyway. ASIO drivers don't help much either. Why I don't care much for computer music production-has its uses, but rather limited. i can look at a picture of a duck dinner, but it won't taste as good as the real thing, unless you like paper (Harpo did).  Especially since I already have 2 suitcases full of audio cables of every conceivable configuration from years of connecting sh**, what a mess! All I didn't need-even more complexity. By the time I set some of this stuff up and get it working, i forget what i was going to do!!!!! Not too good for spontaneous creative stuff at least not for me. 

• Like 1

Okay.  So bluetooth is out.  I'd like to upgrade my headphones to something comfortable and I was hoping to get noise cancelling (NC).  The old bose headphones were good for the technology at the time and did a nice job of reducing the drone of the engine noise in a plane or road noise but are not intended to reduce the noise from my wife watching tv.  But they do a little of that.  I was hoping that new noise cancelling headphones could do a better job of it and I would buy some if they did, but all the NC headphones I see are bluetooth.  So if bluetooth is out for latency reasons then it puts me toward getting some corded headset without noise cancelling but with some blocking of external sound just because of a good fit around my ears, and then they have to be comfortable for an hour at a time.